Where to mount the forward camera?

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
So for the umpteenth time a cager has either not seen me or deliberately and aggressively moved in my direction. Not to mention when filtering deliberately cut me off

On a lighter note how many vistas have we driven wishing we had a recording

I bought a MC dvr with front and rear cams. The rear fits conviently under the givi plate with existing screws that hold the mount perfect. Going to bury the dvr under the seat but can’t figure a good spot for the front.

Under headlight has clearance issues. The fork travel may tap the front fender

On the top of front cowling doesn’t look right. Side mounting you lose left or right views

Any ideas. Perhaps should have posted in what did with ST today. But I could use some suggestions.

Sent by Tapatalk

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
My front cam hangs from the screw that secures the inner cowl to the underside of the nose cowling. Need a pic?

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
What flavor of Cam and DVR did you get John? Interesting thought to have those on the bike. Too bad that we need them. Depending on the size of the front camera I have a few thoughts.

OP
OP
JohnK

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
It’s a moderate priced unit some vfr friends had used. I would like to get as much full frontal coverage a s possible

That’s a lock switch that perm stores a segment that elapsed. I set it a 3 min recording so it would permenatly store when I could activate it

Sent by Tapatalk

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you can get one of those under mirror light mounts (like MCL used to make, and I think someone is now printing them and selling them on this website) that might be an ideal place to mount the camera. I'm not sure if part of the field of view will be blocked by the fairing ahead of the mirror (headlight, upper cowl, etc.).

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I ended up putting it in the circled area closest to the caption on the photo.

20160626_083909.jpg

Although the photo below shows it in the center, held in place with double-sided adhesive, I've since moved it. It now hangs from the screw at the extreme right edge of the picture. That L bracket is a handy, adaptable piece of hardware.

20160627_181618.jpg

Mounted off the center and farther back from the nose of the bike, the cam does pick up a bit of the underside of the fairing but not so much as to be problematic from an evidentiary / forensic point of view.

There's a complete article on my install in the Articles section of the site, if you care.

OP
OP
JohnK

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
These cameras I got look like go pro fittings will work. I’ll try to configure it to right or left as it has more clearance above the fender. Thanks for the pics and thoughts

Sent by Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
CAdreamin said:
I’ll try to configure it to right or left as it has more clearance above the fender.
Unless mounted like a typical dash cam your choice left or right is the only sensible spot. Anything aft of that will certainly restrict the field of view unless it's very narrow to start with at least for the scenario you're talking about.

Mulling over the idea myself I've seen cams rated at either 120˚ or 170˚ field of view. Didn't somebody recently mention a cam feature that save some footage on impact so that you didn't have to? That's a nice touch.

OP
OP
JohnK

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Yes it has that feature based on the g force or bump factor you set it locks the event too

Says these are 135 degree I put a 64gig chip in it and it says I can get 6-7 hours hd -we’ll see!

Gonna sleep on it and finish tomorrow

Sent by Tapatalk

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
When I had a camera(took it off because of electrical issues) I mounted it to the side of the headlight. With its fielIMG_0822.jpgIMG_0822.jpgd of view, I still had a good pic.

OP
OP
JohnK

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
All done elected to mount the rear under the givi tip box plate as it is stable and hard bolted down

The front went right under the nose below the headlight. Found a shorter mount set up in my GoPro stuff. Gained about 1.5cm clearance.

Ride to gas station and back. The videos were very good and playback with no jitters or skips

Now all I need is a sticker on the back that says smile - your on candid camera!

Thanks all for the input

Sent by Tapatalk

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
CAdreamin said:
Now all I need is a sticker on the back that says smile - your on candid camera!
Or you could put a single small red LED next to it. I hope we get to see some video from both cameras and at 30 and 60fps? Naturally some pics of the finished install too.

I like the nose position so you can video vehicles transversing your path closer to you rather than farther.

Something I'd be curious about is how close you have to get to a vehicle in front of you for the cam to read the plate.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
The front went right under the nose below the headlight.
Did you end up putting it right on the centerline above the fender, or offset somewhat? If on centerline, you'll want to watch very carefully for a while, especially after your first good bump, to be sure you're not banging the camera into the top of the fender (or actually, banging the fender into the bottom of the camera?) Mine bears the battle scars from that interaction; would hate for yours to suffer a similar fate.

Top Bottom