Which Shim Kit etc

737Captain

Heavy Equipment Operator
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Guys,

I'm hosting a tech day next month and was thinking of buying a shim kit for everyones use. What do I need for ST11 and 1300?

Do I need feeler gauges and a metric micrometer too? Anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Tony
:ukflag1:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hi Tony,

For the ST1100 you can borrow the ST-Riders.net shim kit (must register):
http://www.stocrallies.com/st-riders/index.php?topic=556.0

Tip: measure in thousandths of an inch and select the new shim size from the Honda shim PN list, one shim increment per thousandth of inch that you want to move the clearance. No need for any fancy math/spreadsheet/calculator.

.001" = .0254mm, and the Honda shim size increment is .025mm. More than close enough for our purposes.

[search here and on Riders for valve clearance/adjustment/shim change, etc. Lots of postings, including some of mine, shim PN list, etc.]

Regards, John

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I just finished using a shim kit for my valve adjustment. Don't know about the 1300, but the tools you listed should be just about sufficient. I also used a small magnet on a wand. Helps to pull out the buckets. Need lots of different sizes of shims. An ink marker is useful for making sure the cams get back in the proper position. Don't forget any sealant you need to button the valve covers back up.

Bill

ST Dan

2 summers 50k+ miles 48 states
Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
main things you need, for a 1300, are
7.48 mm shim kit
1/8" wide screwdriver
feeler gauges
magnet
lubricant for the buckets after they are reinstalled
sealant for reinstalling the covers

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I have a complete valve check kit that I loan out; drop me a line if you want it and I'll put it in the mail: CLICKY

--Mark

RCS

Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Hi Tony,

For the ST1100 you can borrow the ST-Riders.net shim kit (must register):
http://www.stocrallies.com/st-riders/index.php?topic=556.0

Tip: measure in thousandths of an inch and select the new shim size from the Honda shim PN list, one shim increment per thousandth of inch that you want to move the clearance. No need for any fancy math/spreadsheet/calculator.

.001" = .0254mm, and the Honda shim size increment is .025mm. More than close enough for our purposes.

[search here and on Riders for valve clearance/adjustment/shim change, etc. Lots of postings, including some of mine, shim PN list, etc.]

Regards, John
Tony,
Having seen several people who are mechanically adept at ST work get all screwed up with the math, do it as John says. Measure valve clearance, measure shim thickness, go up or down one, reinstall and re-check valve clearance just to be sure. If still off repeat once more. Anything more than that and the engine probably has major problems, if it runs at all. Jim

Top Bottom