White Mountain Notches

Just got back from a week of touring the White Mountains of New Hampshire and managed to break-in the new ST carving up 8 notches. The area is truly a mecca for motorcylcists. Most of the roads are in good condition and full of twists and sweepers. And if you stay away from Conway, little or no traffic.

The ST is made for these roads. I was impressed with the suspension, power, and brakes even with passengers.

Bytes_U said:
I would like some more details please. It sounds like a good destination for a multiday trip from Ontario. Roads suggested or Garmin/S&T files?
Hey Tom,

Unfortunately I don't have any files for you. Since I'm still navigating the old fashioned way all I can give you are some recommended loops. So grab a map and follow along.

We based out of Lincoln just south of Franconia Notch. A nice short loop heading west from there starts on 112, the other end of the Kancamagus. Pickup route 10/302 north to 117 and travel over Sugar Hill where you'll catch some fantastic views of the back of the presidential range in all its glory, especially Mt Lafayette and Canon. Pickup 116 south through Franconia and back to 112 and North Woodstock. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think you'll pass through Kinsmen and Olivarian notches on this loop. Watch the cross winds through the Lost River area of 112, we got hit by a microburst or something that stood the bike almost straight up doing 60 and leaned over in the middle of a turn. Scared the crap out of me and the little women. Seems every time we travel through that area its gusty. The surface of route 112 could be better on the far side of the pass but it's a lot of fun following the road as it twists and turns to parallel the river. Get it while it lasts 'cause each passing winter seems to take its toll.

A nice technical route to the west is 118 south off 112. You'll pass it on your left on the way to 10/302 traveling the loop described above. Good road surface, great sweepers and it climbs. Good fun rolling on the torque while pulling out of turns on your way up.

The way to carve up lots of notches is to start heading north up 93 from Lincoln on the Franconia Notch parkway. The parkway winds its way between Mt Cannon and Lafayette. This is one of my favorite notches. Very dramatic and you feel pretty humble traveling through it. Too bad the Old Man isn't there to watch us pass through anymore. Anyway, take route 3 north to 302 and head down through Crawford notch. Another beauty, especially when you first enter it on the steep down hill through the sweepers. I love the control you get with this engine when you downshift and use the throttle on the down slope. Stop at the small lake with the rest area (Willey's I think) and enjoy the view.

Next turn right up Bear Notch road in Barlett. This is another sweet ride as you climb up to connect with the Kancamagus. The road surface is pretty rough most of the way but you can thread around the bad stuff and still have a hell of a good time. Head right on the Kanc and you'll be back in Lincoln in about 25 minutes, but stop by the rest area at the high point of Kancamagus Pass first for a truly spectacular view. Then watch it on the hair pin 180 as you continue downhill toward the west on the Kanc. A nice banked turn that you can really lean into after you become familiar with it. A constant rate and slightly banked turn, with no decreasing radius stuff.

Want more great notch runs, then head east again; 93N to 3N to 115N and take route 2 east to 16 south and the Pinkham notch for a view of the other side of Mount Washington from Crawford notch. The bonus notch is further east off route 2, just over the border of Maine, where you take route 113 south to travel over an awesome road covered by a tunnel of trees that eventually opens up into a fabulous view of Evans notch. Continue south on 113 to North Conway where you can pickup the farthest end of the Kancamagus highway and practice that hairpin turn again on the way home.

If you nead a place to stay try the Indian Head next to the Flume Gorge at the foot of the Franconia Notch parkway. I've stayed there many times and never had a bad experience. I've left out a lot of details and neat stuff you'll see along the way but that's the jist of it. The next time we plan to head further north to do a loop around Dixville Notch. Just can't get enough of this area. That trip may have to come after the Lake George/Placid trip, or the Blue Ridge Parkway or the ...

Last edited:
Thank you Meister, your info is about what I wanted. Going to NNEStoc sounds like fun but unfortunately that week is usually the start of a busy work period for me. I think I'll shoot for the second week in Sept to play in the NNE region. This look about right for the must see areas?

Attachments

• WhiteMtnLoop.gif
    WhiteMtnLoop.gif
    72.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Bytes_U said:
Thank you Meister, your info is about what I wanted. Going to NNEStoc sounds like fun but unfortunately that week is usually the start of a busy work period for me. I think I'll shoot for the second week in Sept to play in the NNE region.

OR....

You can join us for CT-STOC which is second weekend in Sept. I am planning on taking a group out to parts of northwestern Ct, NY and the Berkshires of Massachusetts..
Not quite the whites but still pretty good....

...and you'll be in the company of anywhere form 15 to 25 Sters...
What more can you ask for :D

Tom,

Hope you get some good weather and have great time.
Ride safe and fill us in when you get back.

Kempo, CT-SToc sounds great too but I had my heart set on seeing VT/NH this Sept. I've had the good fortune to enjoy most of upper NY on previous trips and wanted to explore a little farther NE this time. Hopefully the weather cooperates with a nice time window in early Sept. You guys on the East seemed to have experienced a ton of rain so far this season :eek:

Tom,

I'll be heading up Saratoga Springs way early next summer and would appreciate any tour suggestions you might have for the Lake George area.

Back
Top Bottom