Who still makes a dash shelf for ST1300?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Howdy, y'all.
First things first - I've known of this group for years; now I have a REAL reason to join. So I've reviewed and searched and read and searched some more for dash shelves or DIY ideas. Many of the threads are 10 years old, and many of the vendors have sadly left the marketplace. Lots of 404's and broken links and sites not found, etc.
Here's the background:
Finally wrestled the 2008 ST away from my brother-in-law. He ran it to death - had all of 8100 miles on it before I rode it home. :) (Yes, friends, that IS a joke.)
No farkles at all - it's NEKKID!
I have all sorts of RAM mounts and arms from previous bikes, but no reservoir-cover mounts. I'm looking for something that would allow a couple or more items - radar detector, GoPro, X-mount, etc. At the very least, I need a single adapter that would go in between the handlebars - I gather there is one that can be used with Helibars, but I don't have 'em or need 'em. Can it go in the stock steering nut bolt hole?
Seems I may end up cobbling together my own, but I can't weld, don't have the gear, but I can cut and trim and drill - which is what I did with my KTM 950, now gone. Don't really want to mess up the plastic on the ST.
Any resources, ideas, pics, references - all that would be helpful. I'll also reach out to the LDrider community, because I know there are still ST's in service with that crowd.
Glad to be here, glad to have this new (to me) touring monster, and I'll be hanging around and posting just to annoy everyone.
All the best from rainy Birmingham = thanks in advance for your ideas and replies.
The one in Alabama.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Grab a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum plate, say 4x6". Give it a gentle bend to match the top dash. Drill some holes, replace the top two pop rivets with nut clips and screws. Voila! One top of dash ram mount.

For brake/clutch reservoir... make a piece of aluminmum with a ram ball attached. Pull out resevoir bolts and replace with longer ones gouing through the ram ball plate and the normal top plate. Voila!! A bar mounted ram-ball.

Pictures to follow...

20200304_130222.jpg
20200304_130229.jpg

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Here's a nicely crafted option that may encourage your DIYness:

And something with a little more utility and friendlier price:

Or as T_C said a hunk of aluminum and a little drilling and trimming and you can customize your own bracket and RAM mounts. All of the above including the DIY mount by removing the two rivets on the top center of the dash and replacing them with screws and spring-type nuts that slip over taps or the edges of metal or plastic.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks, ST Gui - I've actually found these two items since I posted. As I need to add tipover bars (I've emailed Jay / Bygdawg, who's also in Alabama), a Givi top box, and Powerlet, and... and... and... I'll likely try to fashion one, as you said. I still have a split-open Jesse aluminum pannier I destroyed years back, which I've been holding onto for just such a project.
Mark

Here's a nicely crafted option that may encourage your DIYness:

And something with a little more utility and friendlier price:

Or as T_C said a hunk of aluminum and a little drilling and trimming and you can customize your own bracket and RAM mounts. All of the above including the DIY mount by removing the two rivets on the top center of the dash and replacing them with screws and spring-type nuts that slip over taps or the edges of metal or plastic.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Thanks, ST Gui - I've actually found these two items since I posted. As I need to add tipover bars (I've emailed Jay / Bygdawg, who's also in Alabama), a Givi top box, and Powerlet, and...
... and bar risers. You need bar risers. There's even a set with a built-in Powerlet port and RAM mount ball in the For Sale section. Nice guy... good lookin', too.

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
Congrats on your new to you ST13! You're gonna love it. Post a few pics! Happy farkling and ride safe my brother!

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
... and bar risers. You need bar risers. There's even a set with a built-in Powerlet port and RAM mount ball in the For Sale section. Nice guy... good lookin', too.
Not convinced yet... rode it home from bnl, east of Atlanta to Birmingham. 4 hours, 230 miles.
No pain, no strain. Wife was following me in her cage, or I wouldn't have taken so long. :rofl1:
i AM wanting a stem-mounted RAM device, though, but won't need it so much once i fab the dash shelf. Also rode the Blackbird for about 6 years with no risers, and loved that bike with stock ergos.
I won't nix the risers just yet; we shall see.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Top of dash mount without affecting or messing with the plastics:
https://www.st1300-accessories.co.uk/product-page/dash-mount
HH.
Nice find! It's similar to the Migsel only a lot less expensive.

I don't know if the Migsel has them but those two aluminium blocks are a nice touch. I'm guessing they go between the two tabs inside the dash and the top of the dash Also inside. This should keep the tabs from breaking off while allowing the dash to be securely fastened.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
once i fab the dash shelf.
You might fabbing the blocks shown in the Bike-Quip pic. They will add stability and possibly reduce vibration while allowing the dash to be securely tightened. It wouldn't take much to snap those tabs otherwise.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I have the Migsel (top photo St Gui). It is very neat. Has 3, 3/8"NC holes for Ram mounts. but I can use only two because one hides behind my GPS.

I like the look of the utilitarian chunky flat block in St Gui second photo. Bristling with 'hundreds' of Ram mount holes. I am dreaming of the many extra farkles right now!
D

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
Nice find! It's similar to the Migsel only a lot less expensive.

I don't know if the Migsel has them but those two aluminium blocks are a nice touch. I'm guessing they go between the two tabs inside the dash and the top of the dash Also inside. This should keep the tabs from breaking off while allowing the dash to be securely fastened.
I've got one on my '07. Looks great. A little on the expensive side, but worth it.

Top Bottom