Boots Why is it? Boots I like are now on Closeout!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Why is it every time I find a boot I like, they don't last very long on the market?

I have been wearing Harness boots since I was 19. And just about every time I have to buy another pair, the previous ones are no longer available and I have to find another source.

10 years ago, Redwing had a great harness boot called 969. After buying two pairs of them, when I went to buy a third, they were no longer made! :confused:

So, I have been struggling, trying to find a good pair and I have gone through a few that were below par, not worth a second look! Then Motorcycle Gear came up with some I thought I would try. At first I wasn't sure about them. They weren't real comfortable when just standing around in them, but as they wore in, they got better, but the soles were a bit on the soft side, so after 6 or7 months, they wore a little more than I liked.

But I went ahead an bought a second set, thinking I'll take the old ones in and have then resoled. So, I've had the second set now for a couple of months and still use the first pair for my normal commutes.

Then I see an add showing those boots on closeout! :oops: So for $99 (plus tax of course...now that the internet is getting TAXED) I bought a third set! I'll put them up for now, until I need them, but at least I'll have them! :thumb:

And if you wonder why I buy new most of the time? Those that I have had re-soled are never the same again. :censored:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I knew a guy who bought 3-4 pairs of shoes for the same reason— he knew that when it was time to get a new pair they wouldn't be available and the selection process would have to start over.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I knew a guy who bought 3-4 pairs of shoes for the same reason— he knew that when it was time to get a new pair they wouldn't be available and the selection process would have to start over.
If it wasn't for the fact I'm looking at new tires and a new black mesh jacket, I would probably buy a couple more pair! :confused:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I had a pair of Alpinestars riding boots I really liked. When the soles wore out they were of course discontinued. I bought their replacement which should have fit just like my old ones (same mfg, same size) but they are just not as wide and comfy as my old pair. You're right find something you like a lot and buy an extra for when you need them later.

I'm looking for another pair of boots now, but won't buy them unless I can try them on first.

Bike
VStrom 650
I used the same logic with my under crackers, (under pants, jockeys, boxer's) bought two pairs 10 years ago, still haven't worn the second pair.
Hope it helps :biggrin:.
Upt'North.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I guess I'm way ahead on that since I bought 4 pair! Twice as many for twice as long. :biggrin:

As to boots. I found the same situation. The boots I liked are no more. Depending how well I like my new Alpinestars Air Plus v2 Gore-Tex XCR boots I may have to order another pair or two. Motorcycle Gear doesn't have them on clearance... yet. Maybe I'll wait for that since I window shop over there a lot.

Bike
R1200rt
here is where I,m going to disagree.... I love my wife but a newer model might be nice:rofl1:

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Too bad you can't legally have more than one of those. Or maybe that's not such a good idea. :rolleyes:
You must be talking about Wives....yeah, I think one is plenty! More than that would only cause conflict in your training! o_O

Top Bottom