Why run engine before checking oil?

Bike
2009 ST1300
well, it all came back… except one tablespoon…
after my never left the centre stand oil / filter change using the precisely measured amount from my Honda GN4 container, of 3.785 litres or 1 US gallon, and priming my oil filter, my level this morning is precisely midway of the centre small hole of the sight glass; it’s got to be a sign from… well… draw your own conclusions, if you dare,
the other thing I did was clean up some of the engine during this tupperware party, really nothing to clean, but I did get a fair bit of mud out of the ribbed bottom engine casting, enough that it should improve heat transfer,

Bike
2009 ST1300
I inherited my XL dry sump with no oil on the dipstick which is mounted on thr frame / reservoir; it takes 2.1 litres, I drained five litres, theres a check valve somewhere ( i forget) that apparently fails to hold after a few years allowing the reservoir to entirely drain back into the crankcase, dont know if theres any oil control valves in the 13 or the 11 that could malfunction

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
In 10 years I have never seen barely any variations in oil level on my ST, whatever way I drive it or check it.
Mine doesn't burn any oil at all.
Fact.
So, I don't check it anymore between the 5000 miles oil change.
You'll maybe say that it is risky.
But, I rather check my tires twice...

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
No real mystery - the oil will drain down into the sump after sitting and after running it is distributed through the engine and then after sitting a short time will have a more accurate sump level. Also oil expands with heat and warm oil will better represent the proper level when running than cold oil. Very common to see the oil level increase slightly either in the site glass or on a dipstick with a fully warm engine. No harm checking the level on a cold engine just to make sure oil is there and enough to operate but a warm engine sitting level will provide a more accurate level. Also cold oil is thicker and does not flow as easily and can stay in the site glass where hot oil will flow and show a better level.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I check mine cold or hot after about 5 minutes and the reading is pretty much the same. Again if its between the top and bottom lines yer good to go.

Bike
2009 ST1300
it says a lot that… are those italics, someboby get me a kleenex, I dont use italics or caps lock, Nyway, will get it fixed, that not a lot of people open these engines up,

Bike
2005 st1300
WOW!!! Went back and looked at the first vid you mentioned. I guess one just has to hope the oil is in there before you run it to check it. I understand that it is a honda and that if all the oil ran out you would see evidence and all those arguments, but that is backwards all the same. Wonder how many owners have overfilled their crankcases, using a procedure everyone has used for many years, even though the manual states different. Honestly, I dont know that I have ever read the part of a manual that tells how to check oil. I thought I knew how. Thanks for posting this. It was very enlightening.

Top Bottom