Wiring pics for spoiler brake light

Bike
Honda ST1300A
Anyone able to post me some readable pics of the routing and mounting points of the spoiler brake light wiring harness. Got my wires from David Silver Spares and the pics are awful. Just want to do it right the first time. If anyone can post pics of theirs or direct me to a link with pics I can see I would be very thankful. Jeff

Jev

Couple suggestions:

From picture 2 above, leave enough slack in the cable at the hinge. After 3 years on mine, the black plastic sleeve over the wires cracked at this bend point so I added some coiled plastic wire protector in this area.

From picture 2 above, I stuck the wires to the underside of the lid with a couple dabs of clear silicone.

From picture 3 above, when you go to drill that hole for the grommet, ensure that there is a piece of wood on the backside held securely against the plastic so that you will drill into it as you go through the plastic. This will ensure a nice round hole (that is the same size as your drill bit).

Good luck.

Saint Joe

Joe
Bike
'12 ST1300A
The only thing I did different from Indypup and more like JEV (silicon dab) was I used stick on mounting tabs that you pull the nylon ties through. After drilling all those other holes in the top box, I couldn't handle the thought of those final 3 holes that are only supposed to go part way through.

Attachments

Bike
ST and K1600
Resurrecting this 10-year old thread, because I just bought the Honda OEM spoiler and light, but it did not include Honda's OEM wiring harness. Hoping to get assistance how to come up with an alternative DIY to replace the missing OEM harness. I'm not experienced in electrical wiring, so any help is appreciated.

In the photos above provided by Indypup, he has two wires (green, yellow) coming from the top box light into a connection consisting of what looks like two white wires and two red wires. It appears that the connection of the green/yellow wires to the red/white wires is there so that the top box wire can be easily disconnected when you want to remove the top box. I don't ever remove my top box so this would be a nice-to-have for me. I need the simplest way to connect the green and yellow wires to the brake light. I'm confused by the two white and two red wires shown in this photo, and not sure I need to create something like this.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Easy enough to tap into the rear brake wires and run up to the case. You will have to drill a couple of holes for the wires. I'd also put a waterproof connector between the top case and the mount on the bike to make it easy to remove the top case.

Bike
ST and K1600
Finished the spoiler project. I painted spoiler using Colorite's kit that includes primer, base color and clear coat. Lesson learned was to sand the primer before putting on base coat. I corrected that problem by wet sanding the clear coat to get a smooth finish.

Attachments

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Having a boot to stow your hat is nice but that spoiler/brake light is the reason for me to have that kit. Really nice work!

Top Bottom