WOBBLE WOBBLE, ...GONE !

Bike
2010 ST1300
My new leftover 2010 has had quite a wobble from wind buffeting. Anywhere near big rigs, cars, or crosswinds, my ST would behave badly. I cranked up the preload to only 2 lines showing, threw hot mama on the back and headed across the state line to Hooters (her idea!). The wobble was gone save for one little twitch passing a big rig at 85mph. All other passes and open roads were smooth and steady. I'm getting happier all the time...:D

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I'll bet you a $1 you are very low, if not out of preload fluid! ;)
By screwing it almost all the way in, your compressing what little fluid you have, which may be helping you.
Search the articals section on preload fluid service or replacement and fix your problem.
Once you correct it, and have it full of fluid, you may find that 4 or 5 clicks in from fully soft, (lower than the default setting)
will help with your buffeting issues.
Just ask other members who've tried it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
southern9
Bike
2010 ST1300
I never heard of preload fluid. I assumed that was a sealed shock mechanism. The bike only has 1500mi, all in the last 2 months. How does one go about adding preload fluid?

You realize she's setting you up for something she wants, right?
You are right. It involved a shovel, some dirt, and some new plants.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Click on the Article section, and find preload adjuster service.
If you have trouble finding it, pm me your personal email address and I can email you and attach photos and text for the procedure.
It only takes about 20 minutes to do, and the only tools you need are, 5mm allen to remove the left side panel, a 10mm wrench or socket to remove one bolt, a large cresent wrench to hold the unit while you loosen the bolt, and a small bottle of hydraulic jack fluid, or fork oil.
As far as being new....I've done this procedure to bikes off the showroom floor that were almost empty, as well as new shocks that were ordered from the factory.
Nobody really knows why they are always low or empty, they just always are. You'll like the way it handles much better, when it is acutally working correctly.
Igofar

Top Bottom