Wondering how to install cruise control?

I have heard that there was a way to install cruise control off of a Goldwing GL1500 onto the St1300. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction or give me a link to where I could find out how to do this. Thank you.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Im looking into the atlas throttle lock. Im sure it lacks some of the features of cruise, but it looks simple and i wont have to modify my 1100

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I have heard that there was a way to install cruise control off of a Goldwing GL1500 onto the St1300. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction or give me a link to where I could find out how to do this. Thank you.
Don't bother trying to retrofit a GL1500 cruise onto the ST. Way too much reinvention of the wheel, no adjustability.

If you want electronic cruise control, buy a Rostra electronic cruise, do a search for "Rostra cruise control" on this forum, and budget a few days to do the work (if this is your first time). It takes a little time to wrap your head around the first time you try it, but it'll click at some point and you'll be off and running.

Just put a Rostra on my ST 13. Works most excellant. Best farkle at 189.00

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Im sure it lacks some of the features of cruise, but it looks simple and i wont have to modify my 1100
Well it doesn't keep your bike at a set speed so there's that. It's a lot of money and hardware for something that can be done as easily and cheaper but it's a choice.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I can help, especially with wiring. I have been installing car stereo and cruise since the days of 8-tracks.

I put a Rostra CC on my '96 Nighthawk 750, and just received the new one for my ST1100. Ask questions.

In my opinion, the best throttle lock type of speed control is also the cheapest and simplest: the N.E.P.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Well it doesn't keep your bike at a set speed so there's that. It's a lot of money and hardware for something that can be done as easily and cheaper but it's a choice.
Can u suggest how i can do it easier and cheaper? Im always looking! Thanks for any suggestions!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Several folks have used the Audiovox unit (less than $150 IIRC) but it takes a little bit of tinkering.
Having used throttle locks and electronic cruise controls, there is a major difference between the two if you do many miles on terrain that is not flat.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Can u suggest how i can do it easier and cheaper?
You can't always get what you want... But if you try the NEP or Vista you might find you get what you need. I use the aluminum Go-Cruise 2.

Here's two of several video reviews of it:

Like every throttle lock around it uses minimal friction to hold the throttle in place. To engage you'd just use your index ginger to roll it forward until hits the brake lever.

In an emergency you'd just roll the throttle off while grabbing the brake - no need to release it first.

An advantage of the Go Cruise is not having to release it to go up hill or pass a vehicle. Rolling ON throttle is not impaired in any way by the GC and releasing throttle lets it go back to the level you set.

At about $35 it's not the cheapest answer. But it's well made kit intuitive to use with no learning curve and easily moved from bike to bike. I got my for ~$20 at a bike show (when we had one around here) but I'd pay MSRP if need be. I like it.

I have not experienced the desire to use and add a cruise control to my bike. The one in my car is almost never use. Your miles may vary.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Several folks have used the Audiovox unit (less than $150 IIRC) but it takes a little bit of tinkering.
Having used throttle locks and electronic cruise controls, there is a major difference between the two if you do many miles on terrain that is not flat.
Thanks. Ill look into it. Im planning a xcountry trip and need all the help i can get.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Can u suggest how i can do it easier and cheaper? Im always looking! Thanks for any suggestions!
This about the cheapest throttle lock you will find.

Caterpillar (the heavy equipment manufacturer) P/N 8M 4991 yellow O-Ring.
Install it between the grip and the bar end weight. This provides enough friction to keep the throttle from rotating back towards idle.
If you have a Caterpillar dealer near you they might just give it to you for free.

1584311366677.png

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
One of the biggest advantages for me traveling cross country on the slab is I can 'set it and forget it' with the cruise control. If you've got miles to cover and have to slab it, electronic cruise control is the real deal. You'll also find that you probably will get better gas mileage also as it uses just enough throttle to maintain the speed.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
A throttle lock is pretty good, but no where near as good as CC. I used to have the standard throttle lock that locks in both directions, but now have the Go Cruise mentioned above. It's much better as it only prevents decel... you can accelerate to pass and then just let go and it returns to your set throttle position. I keep thinking about getting CC for my ST11, but it will likely be attached to a new bike when I do.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
I know Uncle Phil has these on all his bikes and I did install one on my bike. The McCruise is a plug and play with excellent detailed instructions. It is pricey for sure but for those of us who aren't the best electro wizards it is an A+ unit that works flawlessly and you do not have to hack up the factory wiring harness.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm sure that you recognize that bike. It is a picture of one of your (now 4) ST1100'S.
Andrew - Just noticed that (but then I am a little slow some days ... ;) )
That would be Redbird (since I can see the Honda decals on the tank and Frost - my other red one - has HMW roundels).

Top Bottom