Wood splitting, not ear splitting

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Loss of hearing being a cumulative damage issue, I decided to take down the noise level of wood splitting below what ear plugs and ear muffs can provide. Give my hearing a break over the winter.
Along with my solution there is no more breathing exhaust and the temperature is always just right.

Attachments

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I achieved the same result using a sledge hammer and some wedges. It also eliminates a gym day from my calendar, or would if I had a gym day on the calendar.
I did that way for years but when you have both shoulders replaced they just don't deal with the hammering very well. ;)

Bike
ST1300 2012
In keeping with Keith's general idea, you could always get one that uses human power to pump the hydraulics! In keeping with my general distaste of excessive manual labor now that I am more "mature" I haven't researched them in any detail but they appear to have double handles so they are pumped like one of those exercise machines I have heard about.
Depending on the size of the logs I suppose one of the better quality electrically driven ones might work as well.

Of course, since I have somewhere around 5-plus cords waiting to emerge from under the snow this spring I figure I will have one of the stinky, noisy monsters pushed right up against the pile for ease of access!

I've had bad hearing for a number of years and I'm now nearly 63yrs old. I wear hearing aids, they help a lot, but not when you are with a group of people with a lot of background noise. It can be a very lonely experience if you have bad hearing. It is also kinda intense when i need to do hearing aid repair which takes couple of days. I guess people with the hearing aids will understand me here

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
What are the best earmuffs at the moment?
That question has the earmarks of an oil thread.* What do you mean by best? Muffs with the highest sound rating? Ones that fold up into a compact shape for storage? Most comfortable? Warmest (nod to @Larry Fine). Cheapest? Do you like electronic versions? I used to like Howard Leight but they seem to have gone all electronic. I have one pair of the Howard Leighening L3 muffs with a NRR of 30 that I don't much like - mostly because of comfort. My current fav is the RZ muff, but they only have an NRR of 26.

A word about the Noise Reduction Rating. A change in sound level of 3 db doubles the sound energy (loudness), so this step is significant. Ear muffs cannot have an NRR much above 33 because with very loud sounds, the vibrations can travel through bone and damage your hearing. That said, the electronic earmuffs with active sound attenuation are interesting and I've not tried any of them. Read this. Those NRR's are impressive, but I would want to try them out before I plunked down my hard cash. I had some Bose sound canceling muffs that let very loud percussive sounds overwhelm them, and I heard a loud, painful, 'slap'. Disadvantages of electronic, active muffs is the battery...but as I have said, I've not tried them.

*Really now, you have to ask if the pun was intended?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
3M Peltor Optime I

excellent fit, lightweight, durable, affordable...
Proven during hours, weeks, years of serious hammer-drilling while doing HVAC installations (our homes are made of bricks and concrete, not cardboard ;) )
My associate and I were still able to talk rather normal while had both our Peltor ear-muffs on... they're tuned to let human speech trough... won't find that on cheap store brands...
I also wear them when running the circular saw, the router, the angle grinder, the shop-vac... or when the MIL is over and just won't stop yapping... :biggrin:

Top Bottom