Word to the Wise - Watch Out!

Bike
‘19 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Capture.JPG

On Saturday I bought gas at a station with a pump island similar to the one depicted above. Note the concrete end cap at ground level the end of the island. It sticks out slightly into the lane.

As I was pulling away from the pump with my right foot still at ground level, it contacted the end cap. My foot was slid inward slightly, bringing my ankle to just ahead of the peg. There was enough force from my ankle against the peg to almost make me tip. A little more force and it may have snapped my ankle. The peg did not articulate up and back as with a road scrape in a steep turn.

Fortunately my speed was just a crawl and I was able to rapidly lift my leg to get my foot out of the way (kind of an awkward move). This immediately caused a cramp in my hip flexor that only could be relieved by stopping behind the station to stretch and massage it out. Oh the joys of the older rider!

Reminder to self: look not only ahead and behind when going into motion, but also down and around. You never know when there will be a "snake in the grass" just looking for an opportunity to ruin your day.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Good information. I hate those things. Seriously dinged up one of the cast wheels on my car because of them. So far no close encounters on my bike though. I could see easily breaking an ankle on that. What a dumb design, what were they thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bike
VStrom 650
Them snakes are everywhere!
Glad you survived unscathed, from what I can see it appears a pretty standard fuel pump for us over this side of the pond. We've probably exported them to you!
Upt'North.
Just had another look up close, now that is a stupid design, we're not guilty after all.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
OUCH!

That could have ended very badly even at low speed had you not moved your foot soon enough.

Is that little bit on both ends both sides? If so maybe they were trying to keep vehicles from coming too close to the pumps but on the cheap. Save a few cents on building materials.

There may be a better reason but I can't think of one. And just about any reasoned reason would be better than cheaping out.

Glad that ended well for you!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
If they are trying to keep you from pulling too close to the pumps, I think the vertical bollards I've seen in many stations, that extend up to eye level, and are brightly painted, are a better idea, especially when you're in a car

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
agree on the dumb concrete design, and this thread also brings up an important riding technique. Don't drag your feet, put them up on the pegs ASAP after rolling. When your feet aren't on the pegs, keep them behind the pegs.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
this thread also brings up an important riding technique. Don't drag your feet, put them up on the pegs ASAP after rolling
More precisely, keep your right foot on the peg at ALL times, even when stopped.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
dwalby said:
Don't drag your feet, put them up on the pegs ASAP after rolling.
+1. I see riders dragging their feet all the time. I think it's the 'pilot' fantasy as though they haven't reached speed and altitude to go wheels up yet. Not the same as the rider who keeps their feet down because they're not yet sure they won't fall over.

I'm the opposite as when the light changes or it's time to go my feet are on the pegs an instant before rolling. It's my teeny tiny homage to those trials and other riders who can climb all over their bike while it's standing still. Makes me a distant kindred soul. :rofl1:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Good warning! That's a strange curb shape, jutting out like that.

I too got surprised one time, bumping my foot a bit on a fuel island curb. In that case, there were other moving vehicles behaving unpredictably (front, sides, and rear), so i was moving slowly trying to get out of the craziness, moving slowly but prepared to stop, and I lost awareness of the curb.

I've noticed at a couple new stations they don't have curbs. Yay! :)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If so maybe they were trying to keep vehicles from coming too close to the pumps but on the cheap. Save a few cents on building materials.
My assumption would be that the intent is to keep vehicles from being able to get to close to the pumps while at the same time allowing the person pumping gas to get close to the pumps without having to step up on to the concrete island.

Bike
VStrom 650
More precisely, keep your right foot on the peg at ALL times, even when stopped.
+1 Bush.
I was always taught that the right foot is always on the peg before moving, that way you've got brake control as well as throttle control at all times. It's a bit convoluted when finding neutral at a standstill but then of course you're covering the front brake anyway, just in case.
It's a good technique and soon becomes natural. It also assists when pulling away by allowing the covering of the rear brake (not linked) to assist slow riding, like on a greasy horrible garage forecourt.
Although like all riding training it's only as good as the application and it wouldn't hurt road/traffic engineer's to think about cycles/motorcycles a little (lot) more.
Upt'North.

Last edited:

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
agree on the dumb concrete design, and this thread also brings up an important riding technique. Don't drag your feet, put them up on the pegs ASAP after rolling. When your feet aren't on the pegs, keep them behind the pegs.
I got bit by a sleeping policeman a short while before moving up here, but it was my bag that my foot was caught by, not the peg. Forgotten exactly how I got myself in position to do it, but definitely recall IT HURTS!
Don't do that.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
As a rider that sometimes pulls a trailer... those curbs are yet another obstruction to avoid while refueling. Almost flipped my trailer once making a tight turn leaving a filling station and clipping a curb....

OP
OP
triospec
Bike
‘19 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Exactly, dwalby. By PM, a member here informed me the technique taught by the professionals, that being to keep the right foot on the peg when stopped - both for brake application and avoidance of stuff like this.

I'm working on it! Old habits die hard.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Sometimes you have to dab with the right foot while you put the bike into gear with your left. Hard to keep your right foot on the peg then until the bike is moving which is probably coincident with passing that curb extension.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Sometimes you have to dab with the right foot while you put the bike into gear with your left. Hard to keep your right foot on the peg then until the bike is moving
Of course, a right toe dab is sometimes necessary for a gear selection or to regain a momentary loss of balance, or two feet down even, if stopping on loose gravel, but 99% of the time that right foot should be on the peg before the bike moves.

Top Bottom