Wounded pride

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I've prided myself on never dropping my ST in over 3 years and almost 25,000 miles of ownership. There have been close calls but I've always been able to keep the shiny side up. That's the longest I've ever made it with any bike. The old pride took a major hit last Saturday.

To get to my friend's camp site on the Nantahala River, you make a 180 degree right turn off the highway onto a downhill grass/dirt driveway. I've made this maneuver many times over the years on various bikes. For reasons I'm still not sure of, this time I didn't make it and dumped the ST on its right side. You've all seen someone do it; they try to turn too slowly and sharply with the bike leaned over, and fall in that direction. I was able to step off as it fell so no damage to me.

I tried to pick it up, but there was no way, especially since it fell downhill. If my friends hadn't been there to help, it would still be on the ground. It took all 3 of us to get that beast upright.

The factory front tipover bars and the Byg Dawgs on the back protected everything. Even the mirror and brake lever escaped damage due to the soft grass and dirt. Besides a bit of grass and dirt in the tipover bars, the only evidence of the drop was that the mirror was knocked out of adjustment. I was SUPER lucky in that regard.

Now I must go update the tipover count on my profile. Grrrrrr....

Reactions: Djc
Bike
91 ST1100
STOC #
BTDT. Turning around on a sharply angled driveway, wife on, half-way through the slow turn, forks turned all the way down-hill, and stalled it. AAARRRGGGHHH!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Welcome to the club.

“We are legion.”

John
CFA8BA15-35A0-4A39-8D95-CC8A911FF628.jpeg
The only stretch of gravel on the “Lost Coast Road (Extended),” just south of Honeydew, CA, WeSTOC Fortuna.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry you couldn't keep it up, but it happens to the BEST of us...

It only took me 322,291 miles and 12 years on ST1300s, to drop one of mine. Of course I sold that bike not too long after that...That was to teach my other bikes not to take a rest when I'm not ready! I dropped it...

Oh, and BTW, you can remove saddle bags and topcases to make it lighter in picking it up!

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
Oh yes, I know that section of gravel on the lost coast road. Much steeper then it looks like in your photo. I was by myself on that road about ten years ago.
Biggest slow speed "pucker factor" I ever had on my '03. I some how kept it up while sliding all over the dirt. My drops were all simpler , like forgrting to put down the side stand.

Ed Wing

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Only two types of STers, those that have and those that are going too, now your worries are over.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I think I've done it 3 times. Once in my garage, once in WV loaded down with camping gear and the most embarrassing was at a hotel for a rally where there were lots of riders around. Always had the tip over bars so never any damage other than a rub/scratch mark on the covers for the MCL highway blades.

Welcome to the club!

Skip

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
KSRider11 said:
...and stalled it.
That's a huge ball (or ST) dropper right there. I had a lot of close calls with that. The G2 Throttle Tamer has helped with that. I wonder how many TOTs wouldn't have to be told if a stall had been avoided.

Bike
2000 ST1100
You did better than me. Dropped mine 2 months after I bought it. Since then maybe a couple more times.

Top Bottom