Yellowstone / Red Lodge flooding

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I count six washed-out sections in that video. I'd been planning on traveling that way in about 5 1/2 or 6 weeks, by bicycle. Might be time for a rethink; certainly a situation I'll need to monitor closely.
Take the new inflatable along? You did save some weight with the new tent and sleeping bag. :cool:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Take the new inflatable along? You did save some weight with the new tent and sleeping bag. :cool:
I rerouted along the west/southern legs of the route instead of the north and east. Got the last reservable tent site at Grant Village CG at the west end of Yellowstone Lake, canceling my reservation (at no charge) for the Canyon Village CG up north. Now all I need is for the East Entrance Road to open to traffic exiting the park in that direction and I'm all set.

Yellowstone road closures 20220613.png

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Don't worry, it'll buff out!

(me thinks that veh at the 18" mark is going to be there awhile)

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Keep an eye out on the situation as your time for a visit gets closer. Right now the whole upper park has been evacuated, all roads into the park have been closed, and they are working on removing the people from the lower part of the park.

Everything is flooded, Gardiner, Cooke City, even Red Lodge is taking a huge hit. I think some of those roads will be closed for the season. The town of Gardiner is cut off and currently without utility services. Might be a while.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
We've been watching video from our local Utah news, where it took a two story building with it! :eek:

Also, Red Lodge had a river running down main street! Looked pretty bad! o_O

Bike
R1200rt
with all the roads washed out better think long term, they don't rebuild over night. Also the bridge from Gardiner is gone and most all supplies for the park comes from there. It's going to be havoc for a long time.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
That’s gonna b a nightmare for a while. There is cheap camping in Gardiner tho. Was there last year. The guy that ran the capmp was a ex st1300 owner.

Bike
2012 ST1300
To balance the demand for visitor access, park resource protection and economic interests of the communities, the park will institute an interim visitor access plan. The interim plan, referred to as the Alternating License Plate System (ALPS), was suggested as a solution by gateway communities during major public engagement with the park this past week. Park managers and partners have agreed this system is the best interim solution to ensuring the south loop does not become overwhelmed by visitors. The National Park Service will actively monitor the license plate system and is concurrently building a new reservation system that will be ready for implementation if needed.

Alternating License Plate System (ALPS)

• Public vehicle entry will be allowed based on whether the last numerical digit on a license plate is odd or even.
  • Entrance will be granted based on odd/even days on the calendar.
    • Odd-numbered last digits on license plates can enter on odd days of the month.
    • Even-numbered last digits (including zero) on license plates can enter on even days of the month.
  • Personalized plates (all letters, for example "YLWSTNE") will fall into the “odd” category for entrance purposes.
  • Plates with a mix of letters and numbers but that end with a letter (for example "YELL4EVR") will still use the last numerical digit on the plate to determine entrance days.
  • Entrance station staff will turn away vehicles attempting to enter the park when the odd/even numerical digits do not correspond to the odd/even calendar date for entrance.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
To balance the demand for visitor access, park resource protection and economic interests of the communities, the park will institute an interim visitor access plan. The interim plan, referred to as the Alternating License Plate System (ALPS), was suggested as a solution by gateway communities during major public engagement with the park this past week. Park managers and partners have agreed this system is the best interim solution to ensuring the south loop does not become overwhelmed by visitors. The National Park Service will actively monitor the license plate system and is concurrently building a new reservation system that will be ready for implementation if needed.

Alternating License Plate System (ALPS)

• Public vehicle entry will be allowed based on whether the last numerical digit on a license plate is odd or even.
  • Entrance will be granted based on odd/even days on the calendar.
    • Odd-numbered last digits on license plates can enter on odd days of the month.
    • Even-numbered last digits (including zero) on license plates can enter on even days of the month.
  • Personalized plates (all letters, for example "YLWSTNE") will fall into the “odd” category for entrance purposes.
  • Plates with a mix of letters and numbers but that end with a letter (for example "YELL4EVR") will still use the last numerical digit on the plate to determine entrance days.
  • Entrance station staff will turn away vehicles attempting to enter the park when the odd/even numerical digits do not correspond to the odd/even calendar date for entrance.
Other details:
  • Those who have proof of a confirmed reservation at the various accommodations that are open may enter the park regardless of their license tag information.
  • Groups of motorcycles will be admitted on even-numbered days only. [KTA: I presume this is due to the likelihood that a group of bikes is likely to have some plates that match the "odd" pattern and others that match the "even" pattern.)

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I was out there in a convertible Saturday and Sunday before last. I changed my itinerary to work Yellowstone in first. Good thing I did. They used the reservation system in Arches this year and it helped with the crowds. We were there 5 years ago and it was less crowded. The southerly portion of Yellowstone was packed with people this year.

Top Bottom