Yes, one more question about the heat...

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
This is not the typical question about shins cooking like a piece of KFC and I have not seen this exact issue, so if it's there, please point me to it.

I have only had the bike for about a month, so my riding with the stock windshield was limited. My better half and I took a short 100 mile ride one day, first time for her on the bike. I had already been reading about the amount of wind the passenger gets with the stock shield, so I already factored in that I would replace it if she was not comfortable. So I ordered the Aeroflow tall and installed it before the next trip which was about 600 miles. I keep it all the way lowered and don't see a reason to raise it, and it did slove the problem with her getting beat up with the wind. As far as me, it's about the same as it's blocking the wind like the other.

But that's the problem. Even with the shield all the way down, there just seems like a hot pocket of air behind the windshield, and no way to get cooler air onto the front of me when riding. Needless to say, with the lack of airflow going into my jacket, and the other heat problems, it get's hot, even at 70+mph. I have not removed the inner fairings yet, and will try that, but trying to figure out a way to get SOME air going across my chest. I keep thinking something like one of those windshield vents on a Goldwing is what's needed as I can put my hand up against the inside of the Aeroflow, and there is a lot of air coming past that, but going over my head. Any change in that may effect the way the Aeroflow works, or I am wondering if I should have went with a smaller Aeroflow. I know all this will be a blessing in the winter time, with the added warmth.

I know some others have better experiences with other windshield brands for one reason or another, but this seemed to the best solution for the passenger as I had no problem with the stock. I didn't have the stock on long enough to know if I was more comfortable with it or not.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
I think Clearview has a center vent option if you can put up with the (IMHO) fugly looks....

<D>

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
The Clearviews (there's a cats eye vent model as well) do help a bit with this but the best solution for the rider is a cut down shield......but that doesn't help the Pillion. Maybe a cooling vest? It's a catch 22. If you create a silent, calm dead air pocket, it's going to get warm.

OP
OP
STeelybeast
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
The Clearviews (there's a cats eye vent model as well) do help a bit with this but the best solution for the rider is a cut down shield......but that doesn't help the Pillion. Maybe a cooling vest? It's a catch 22. If you create a silent, calm dead air pocket, it's going to get warm.
That's pretty much what I was afraid of, can't have it both ways. I told a buddy of mine I was going to get a set of those hoses, like you see on the NASA space suits, hook them to a vent in the front and attach them to my jacket . :crackup

There's one other option--possibly useful for you.
One of the vendors on this site markets a vest that cools one, but not so severely as ice water. You can check this out at www.coolvest.com,
I'm thinking about getting one.

UW

I lowered the stock windshield to get more airflow to my chest. I read a thread here from Stuey about moving the shield out further from the bike, and changing the angle. I made some brackets and did this, it made a big difference to me. The bike was much cooler to ride because I got more airflow around my body.

Bike
sold dec 31 14
STOC #
I too wonder about a good solution to airflow management. I road a wing last summer on the hottest day of the year and frankly the vent in the windshield did little to allow enough airflow to get some of that hot air to flow over me. The St of course has a couple of airflow problems. How to get a smooth flow over and around the driver and passenger for quiet. I have a Calsci large with the NACA vents. It deals better with the over and around except that my wife still suffers a bit more noise than ideal. I can hear wind from her mic in the intercom so i know it is not so quiet for her. The other thing is how do you get enough air to flow over our bodies to deal with the heat. Great to have jacket vents and helmet vents etc. but air has to flow by to make them work.
So far the only bike I know of that deals very well with these two air flow problems is the BMW LT. They have factory installed air wings under the mirrors. On a hot day you turn them edge to the wind and a very refeshing flow of air comes across the tank right into your chest. It is still fairly quiet too as it flows lower than your helmets. Of all the bikes I have ridden the air behind the winshield is very quiet and is the most buffet free for the passenger. I have seen similar soutions for the gold wings but not too pretty in my estimation. On really hot days i dream of driving an LT.

Top Bottom