You spin me right round, baby..

I just wanted to note that one/some of you guys were right about the extra effort to get the bike on the center stand. Not sure how I didn't notice the first time, buy yesterday and today it was very noticeable and way too much effort. So I happened to have a chunk of 2x10 sitting there that I experimented with. It rolled right up on it fairly easily, and the lift-up was easier than on standard flat ground. Just don't let the board stick out too far on the left side or the foot lever will hit it and nothing will move.
At least I think I figured out where to position the bike for the turn where it clears everything and still ends up about where I want it.

What a great idea for something I didn't realize I wanted until I saw this post! My narrow sloping driveway requires rolling backwards downhill 20yds before I can turn around to pull out onto the street. Not that hard, but this is better.
This project was relatively easy to make using the same sourced parts in the OP. I had to order a couple 4.2mm drill bits for the M5 screws (I was a tad worried that 11/64 would be too big for my M5 tap and result in shallow thread depth). The grip tape is also available at Lowes. I used some spray truck bed paint I had laying around.
I first tried to lift the bike without raising the rear wheel. Yeah, not gonna happen... So I grabbed whatever was close, a 2" thick rectangular paver. The bike rolled backward onto it with very little effort. Now the lift onto the center stand was easy! If the wheel is centered on the brick, the turntable is placed up against the front end of the brick.

pic01.jpg

pic02.jpg

We didn't turn airplanes around in the hanger, but needed to turn the nose wheel back and forth without damage with all the weight the plane had. So we had two large sheets of metal with grease between them. This looks to be the same kind of idea.

Chris

And once again, time well spent reading this forum. Necessity being the mother of invention should be the name of the site.

I'm just happy to contribute early in my ST experience and help others. Cracks me up to see a duplicate of mine being made, but no sense in reinventing the wheel that I didn't reinvent.
If you need some Smudgemo decals, let me know. That takes things to the next level, of course.

Noticed that the instructions for the Harbor Freight device recommend that 2 people push the bike onto the dolly. I like the lazy susan and block approach for turning.

My boss rarely has help, rides onto the dollies, and moves them about all the time single handed. The "two person recommendation" is likely legalese boilerplate because "people is dumb"

RT

Back
Top Bottom