YSS rear shock - any good ?

OP
OP
Syd

Syd

Bike
ST1100AX 1999
It's certainly do-able. I'm 64 years young now, and 6'3" tall. I weighed around 385 pounds for probably over 20 years, with a 52" waist, and decided to change it in 2009.

I'm now around 235 pounds, with a 36-38" waist, and have kept it off since. Riding, and even walking, are much less painful now. I can tell you what I did if you're interested.
Well done you.
I am currently at 110 kg (232 lbs) which is about 10 kilos less than this time last year. My difficulty is that I am insulin dependant diabetic, so losing weight isn't quite ass simple as it might be.
Before anyone offers the usual nonsense about obesity and diabetes, know this....
When I was first diagnosed I was 182 lbs (and I am 6 ft 2 inches tall)

And of course, as everyone knows, one piece leathers are notorious for shrinking with time.

OP
OP
Syd

Syd

Bike
ST1100AX 1999
Have a part no. for that shock?
Par number M61097
Direct from Hagon, £300, bargain.
If you want remote preload adjustment, they offer that at an extra £120.

I told them my weight and expected riding styles etc. when ordering, and fitted the shock exactly as it was shipped to me. I am happy with that set up.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Yes please Larry, I could do with losing 4 stone..
The medical profession has slowly realized that Dr. Atkins was right. Manufactured foods are the enemy.

Carbs are converted to sugar (the only fuel the blood can carry to the cells), which is then converted to fat.

If you stop eating carbs, the cells look to the stored fat, which the body will dissolve to replace it.

If you fast completely, you will lose both fat and muscle; if you eat protein, you lose only fat.

In no particular order:

I didn't go on a diet; I permanently changed what I eat. I changed both meal size and content.

Carbs are the enemy, and hard to quit, but the cravings for them go away after a couple of days.

"What I will get from NOT eating this is more important than what I will get from eating it."

Decide to do this for yourself, not others. What you eat when nobody is watching matters, too.

If you don't change what you are eating now, starting with THIS meal, nothing will ever change.

Fat is manufactured by your body, not absorbed by it. Pigs, cows, and chickens eat carbs, not meat.

Make food less important in your life; especially stop eating what and how much out of habit.

When you make a meal, put everything else away before eating; makes taking seconds harder.

Don't eat food while you're preparing food; that leads to eating two meals instead of one.

What I actually changed:

No white anything: rice, potatoes, bread, pasta, etc. If you must have bread, eat sprouted-grain bread.

If you must have potatoes or fries, have sweet potatoes or sweet-potato fries. Fried rice is still white rice.

Orange or yellow veggies that "candy" or sweeten when cooked are high in sugar, like corn and carrots.

Have a bacon cheeseburger, a Reuben, steak'n'cheese sub, or any fast food; just don't eat the bun.

If you must eat something on a roll, ask them to hollow out as much bread as they can, leaving the crust.

The main thing I ate during my loss was ham'n'cheese omelets, meats, green salads with meats, etc.

When you go food shopping, keep to the perimeter of the store; avoid the shelves with boxes and bags.

I even have pizza; when I order one, I ask them to spread the toppings to the edge, leaving no bare crust.
Then, I scrape the toppings, sauce, and cheese off of the crust, onto a plate, and eat it with a knife and fork.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Well done you.
I am currently at 110 kg (232 lbs) which is about 10 kilos less than this time last year. My difficulty is that I am insulin dependant diabetic, so losing weight isn't quite ass simple as it might be.
Before anyone offers the usual nonsense about obesity and diabetes, know this....
When I was first diagnosed I was 182 lbs (and I am 6 ft 2 inches tall)

And of course, as everyone knows, one piece leathers are notorious for shrinking with time.
Thank you! Yes, diabetes is tough to deal with. Never make a radical change like this without your doctor's involvement.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Par number M61097
Direct from Hagon, £300, bargain.
If you want remote preload adjustment, they offer that at an extra £120.

I told them my weight and expected riding styles etc. when ordering, and fitted the shock exactly as it was shipped to me. I am happy with that set up.
I went with Hagon shocks and springs on my '96 Nighthawk. I dealt with Dave Quinn (now closed due to health) to whom I explained about my bike's added equipment (fairing and luggage)as well as my weight, clothing, and passenger option.

I will say the NH handles the twisties very well with his setup, along with my having recently rebuilt the forks with new sliders and seals, and the fork oil level set 1/4" (~6mm) above spec height for slightly stiffer compression (my theory) than stock.

Bike.jpg

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
The medical profession has slowly realized that Dr. Atkins was right. Manufactured foods are the enemy.

Carbs are converted to sugar (the only fuel the blood can carry to the cells), which is then converted to fat.

If you stop eating carbs, the cells look to the stored fat, which the body will dissolve to replace it.

If you fast completely, you will lose both fat and muscle; if you eat protein, you lose only fat.

In no particular order:

I didn't go on a diet; I permanently changed what I eat. I changed both meal size and content.

Carbs are the enemy, and hard to quit, but the cravings for them go away after a couple of days.

"What I will get from NOT eating this is more important than what I will get from eating it."

Decide to do this for yourself, not others. What you eat when nobody is watching matters, too.

If you don't change what you are eating now, starting with THIS meal, nothing will ever change.

Fat is manufactured by your body, not absorbed by it. Pigs, cows, and chickens eat carbs, not meat.

Make food less important in your life; especially stop eating what and how much out of habit.

When you make a meal, put everything else away before eating; makes taking seconds harder.

Don't eat food while you're preparing food; that leads to eating two meals instead of one.

What I actually changed:

No white anything: rice, potatoes, bread, pasta, etc. If you must have bread, eat sprouted-grain bread.

If you must have potatoes or fries, have sweet potatoes or sweet-potato fries. Fried rice is still white rice.

Orange or yellow veggies that "candy" or sweeten when cooked are high in sugar, like corn and carrots.

Have a bacon cheeseburger, a Reuben, steak'n'cheese sub, or any fast food; just don't eat the bun.

If you must eat something on a roll, ask them to hollow out as much bread as they can, leaving the crust.

The main thing I ate during my loss was ham'n'cheese omelets, meats, green salads with meats, etc.

When you go food shopping, keep to the perimeter of the store; avoid the shelves with boxes and bags.

I even have pizza; when I order one, I ask them to spread the toppings to the edge, leaving no bare crust.
Then, I scrape the toppings, sauce, and cheese off of the crust, onto a plate, and eat it with a knife and fork.
Thanks, Larry, I willgive this a try and let you know how it goes.

Top Bottom