YSS shock review

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My last ST13 had a nifty Nitron shock with remote preload, and was a proper weapon in the twisties. My newer but older (2004, 125000km) ST13 was bouncing around on the stock shock. I had topped off the preload fluid and had nearly maxed out the rebound adjuster, but it was starting to feel pretty loose in the back so it seemed like a good time for a new shock. The bike was an inexpensive purchase (around USD3k) so I did not want to put a high end shock on. Some mates on other forums have sung the praises of the YSS shock so I decided to give it a go. This cost me just over USD400 landed (from Firefox Racing in the UK). Installation was easy enough once I had the stock shock out; the remote adjuster hose routing was painful to extract, but the new shock (which has no adjuster) was easy to install once I figured out the upper mount orientation. There's a notch in the upper mount which must be aimed down to clear a frame part. I did have to remove the battery box, seat adjuster, right footpeg mount and one rear subframe bolt to get to the old shock out. And the rear wheel for good measure. What fun.

Access to the preload collar is great with the sidecover removed, YSS supply a metal bar to turn the collar which also has a small grub screw to secure it. The rebound adjuster can be reached at the shockbase by hand from the rear of the bike. I wound in some preload to get around 40mm sag, set the rebound in the middle of the range (24 clocks I think) and took a decently hard ride today. I am really happy so far; if you've ever used an Ohlins shock they feel plush and controlled at the same time and the YSS is very similar. The YSS also has length adjustment if I feel the need to change the geometry further, but I left that at the OEM length for now. The ST is now handling in a very sure-footed manner and on all manner of bumpy and twisty roads, gave nothing but confidenceIMG_4639.JPGIMG_4753.JPG.

For now, I can endorse the YSS shock 100%.

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
Looks like access to the rear wheel spindle is improved too - might not need to remove the right muffler to get the spindle out?

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Any idea what the spring rate is on the new shock ?? I recently did a 21.4kg Race Tek spring, onto my oem shock,,, and it is working well. I used to have the preloader fully on all the time. Now I have it fully off all the time. It will be interesting to see if the preloader still gives up it's fluid over time. I have not run the bike loaded yet. But the empty results are encouraging. My costs are about $280.us so far. Install was okay,,, with loosening the side step,, and the battery box. Nice job,,,, CAt'

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I’m with you endorsing YSS suspension. I ordered a set of YSS shocks for my RT about 25,000 miles ago. The front suspension uses a shock similar to the rear shock familiar to the ST. I ordered them through Ted Porter’s Beemer Shop with springs spec’d to my weight. The cost was about 60% of custom Ohlins or Wilburs which I wanted but couldn’t justify after a couple of discussions with Frank and Ted at that shop. YSS doesn’t offer the extensive rider weight range of springs that O/W offers but my weight fit inside what is supplied on the front shock which helped on cost. Rear needed a lighter spring for me. I’ve been very impressed with them.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
The cost was about 60% of custom Ohlins or Wilburs which I wanted but couldn’t justify
Agreed,,, Wilburs looked fascinating,, but at that cost,,, sheesh,,, the oem rear shock doesn't work so bad,,, given a little help. The YSS seems like the next best step up, if needed,,, cheers,, CAt'

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I like the Hagon shock/spring set that I put on my '96 CB750ST. They were selected by Dave Quinn (now retired) based on the bike's luggage setup, my weight, and an occasional passenger.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like the Hagon shock/spring set that I put on my '96 CB750ST. They were selected by Dave Quinn (now retired) based on the bike's luggage setup, my weight, and an occasional passenger.
Before I sent an OEM ST1300 shock to Racetech for rebuilding and revalving Dave Quinn recommended a shock for the ST1300 but unfortunately it leaked it's oil in less than 500 miles. He readily replaced it when I notified him but that the replacement leaked straight away. I'm sure Hagon makes shocks that don't leak but I'll not try again.

OP
OP
TerryS
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Any idea what the spring rate is on the new shock ?? I recently did a 21.4kg Race Tek spring, onto my oem shock,,, and it is working well. I used to have the preloader fully on all the time. Now I have it fully off all the time. It will be interesting to see if the preloader still gives up it's fluid over time. I have not run the bike loaded yet. But the empty results are encouraging. My costs are about $280.us so far. Install was okay,,, with loosening the side step,, and the battery box. Nice job,,,, CAt'
The spring rate is 180 kg/mm. Feels about right for solo riding and I have had no bottoming out so far.

OP
OP
TerryS
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Looks like access to the rear wheel spindle is improved too - might not need to remove the right muffler to get the spindle out?
Feels a tiny bit higher to sit on even though the shock length was exactly the same as stock. Presumably a result of a higher spring rate. I doubt the access to the axle will have changed but I can change that with an increase to the shock overall length. My legs are not very long so I'm not inclined to do that.

Top Bottom