Yuasa 2-9 years

Bike
09 ST1300A
On this section I've read about battery life from 2 to 9 years. The other day my 2009 ST cranked briefly but would not start til I charged it on my Battery Tender for about an hour.
It is garaged and had been ridden a couple times recently about 80 miles each trip but I've been using all my Gerbings clothing, boot liners, gloves etc so wondered if I am over taxing the system. My amp gauge always runs in the green when riding except when idling at traffic lights it drops into the red zone. I imagine all that E-clothing plus my 2- 35 watt running lights pull a fair amount of watts.
Although my 2009 won't be 2 years old til May 2012, (I bought it new - a leftover in May 2010), I checked my serial # label and it shows a build date of 01/2009, so the ole bat is probably a good 3 years old.
If it gives me any trouble tomorrow I'm going to do the load testing described by you guys here.

Later :)

Bike
'93 ST1100
STOC #
I'll be interested to see what you find out, but I wouldn't even do that.......I'd just go buy a new battery. I buy a new battery every three years regardless and always buy a top of the line product. Yeah, it's probably a slight waste of money, but when I hit the starter I want that thing to START!!!!! Also comes from spending alot of time in desolate places out West.

Gary

OP
OP
Ken Valkyrie
Bike
09 ST1300A
I'll be interested to see what you find out, but I wouldn't even do that.......I'd just go buy a new battery. I buy a new battery every three years regardless and always buy a top of the line product. Yeah, it's probably a slight waste of money, but when I hit the starter I want that thing to START!!!!! Also comes from spending alot of time in desolate places out West.

Gary
I think you have a good point.
I hate to be paranoid but yesterday I went out for only about 50 miles but I was afraid to stop for coffee in case she wouldn't start. The temp was about 37 degrees but thats too cold for me to get stranded.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
At the end of every ride I but the bike on the tender unless it will be run the next day. I was able to get 8 years out of a battery on my old Pacific Coast, and 7 years on the ST 1300 by doing this. The amount of draw from everything you have on may not be giving the bike time to charge the battery buy the time you end your ride. Put it on the tender when you get home and you should be good to go!

Bike
2006 ST1300
Do a load test, make sure that battery is really bad before replacing it. Keep in mind a 2 or 3 year old original Yuasa is still probably better than what you are replacing it with. Why jump to put in something "new" just to have it be a downgrade from what you have now?

I'm not saying your battery can't be bad...conditions and use can affect the lifespan...just make sure its bad before replacing it.

OP
OP
Ken Valkyrie
Bike
09 ST1300A
Did the load-test this morning. I think my battery is alright now. I charged it on the Battery Tender last night.

My multimeter read 12.6 volts before I started the test. Turned "on" it read 11.7 v, while cranking it was 10.2 v and at a fast cold idle it floated between 14.1-14.3 volts at 2000 rpm.

The other day I must have let it idle too much with all my e-gear on or running the shied up & down to clean.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
My bike is an 07' which was put into service 4/08. I've had it on a Battery Tender in my garage every time it's parked. My battery went abruptly in October 2011; ignition on, lights on, fuel pump ran.....hit the starter button and everything went dead. The only add I have are OEM heated grips. My tester confirmed it - it was done. Put in a new battery and it's been fine ever since. Count me in on the three year club - I don't want it packing it in when I'm on a trip.

Top Bottom