YUASA battery only lasted 9 years?

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
I have a 2001 ST1100 and just put the battery in a few weeks ago after a few maintenance charges over the winter. Had 2 rides so far this spring.
Last night I came home from work and all was well. This morning I had nothing but a faint click. The lights and horn all came on but the lights really dropped when I hit the starter.

Removed, cleaned all contacts, checked kill switch, made sure side stand was up, placed on battery on charger back to 100% and still the same.

I had a look at the used vehicle history and I was the 5th owner. However the original owner bought it back in May of 2001 and sold it again after 1 year. However his name was still tagged on the battery!! As near as I can tell from the code stamped on it and what I see on Yuasa's site, it's the original battery! :) 1312000LC Also there is a Honda logo on it too.
The first number is supposed to be the year and the 2nd and 3rd are the month which do not match up as there is no 31st month.
Perhaps it's decoded as 2001/2/31 ?

Anyway I'll get a new one this week and hope that was it. 9 years is the longest I have ever had a battery last in any vehicle. Just posted here in case anyone else had a similar failure.

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
Wow 9 years!... no I tend to not let too much dust settle on my batteries.:shock:

Bike
'93 ST1100
STOC #
ak85lp;968551. Just posted here in case anyone else had a similar failure.[/QUOTE said:
Failure???? Good gawd man, it was 9 years old!!!!

I buy top of the line batterys and usually replace them every 2 to 3 years in my bikes. When I hit the starter, I want that baby to START.....especially in this day and age with kickstarters not being on large street bikes anymore.

Gary

st1300doug

IF....I say IF.....it is really nine yrs. old, you better: 1] Call Yuasa because they'll PAY for stories like this, 2] Pray for any battery now-a-days to last over 6 yrs. at the most! Out of 13 bikes...all garaged, the longest I made it on a OEM battery was 6 yrs. Mmmmm....!

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
I just bought a new battery for my truck and it has a warranty--after 1 year old, it's pro-rated after to how long it lasted.

Using that formula, I think you owe Yuasa about $150 for your old battery! :D

Bike
Honda CX500
Jeepers....:woo
Most of my batteries only last maybe 4-5yrs.

I guess you must have passed by a curse the night before....:rofl1:

Hopefully it's just the battery.
All The Best........Keith..........:cool:.........

Bike
'09 ST1300A
That's the longest lasting battery I've ever heard of. :)

I bought my Harley new in '98 and replaced the battery in '08 just because. Dumb? Yeah. After awhile, I just wanted to see how long it would last. Once I got the new one in, I realized just how punky the old one was.

(I know there's going to be a Harley joke in there somewhere) ;)

Don

Bike
'97 ST1100
That's the longest lasting battery I've ever heard of. :)
The factory battery in my '97 was replaced last year - It was stored in a heated garage and on a Battery Tender it's entire life though

My Miata has an 11 year old Optima AGM in it . . . . but 11 years for an Optima is about considered a normal lifespan

Don

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
9 years... you got your money's worth out of that one!

In this desert we get 18 months (absolute max) out of car batteries. My MC batteries last a bit longer... maybe 3-4 years, NOT 9! :D

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Bump.

Must have been a banner year at YUASA in 2001 because my '01 battery just died at year 10.

Keep in mind I never owned a battery tender (previous owner did) I just started it twice a month in the winter, and last winter it started at -12F for the coldest ride competition.

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
The OEM Yuasa battery on my XR650L lasted 6 years. I bought it in 2000 and am (still) the original owner. :)

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
That's been a great battery. I had a Yuasa in my 82 Toyota truck that lasted 8 years with no charges just add a little distilled water every now and then. My Yuasa on my 06 ST lasted 4 years and it was plugged up to a Battery Tender and inside a garage when not in use. I would say you got your monies worth with that battery!

Top Bottom