Zumo 550, 660, and 665???

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
Loved my 665...gave it to girlfriend when she bought Wing Trike...missed it and just bought another from Driven GPS...Wing built in GPS OK but not near as capable as the 665...be sure the store you buy from is a authorized dealer or your warranty is no good...Garmin lists several company's and Ebay stores as not authorized...

The Garmin 660 and 665 have different cradles...660 cradle will not work with 665...

The 660 is capable of getting a traffic antenna but not XM services ...it is a FM based service

The 665 cradle is the best in the business as far as I'm concerned, solid and easy to remove unit and put in trunk...never had a problem with it not being bright enough...I like the speed limit when it pops up...mine is always showing the red numbers though:D

Be sure to use some electrical tape when you connect the antenna lead to the cradle lead connection...some riders have had it work loose and have to remove plastic to plug it back in...

I know you won't be disappointed with a 665,,,

I still have a 450 that has a crazy screen issue...never had a issue with my 665

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
If you want to integrate the cell phone and have MP3 capabilities as well...

Clicky

This connects with the 665 using the Blue tooth allowing full integration of 665 features to the wing...

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I'm just going to be devil's advocate.... if the 550 serves your purposes, why not get a refurb for $150. They are pretty reliable, replacement screens are available, and the cradles won't fail if you service them regularly (a couple of times a year). I use a contact cleaner with lube, and work it in the pins. 66x users could benefit from the same treatment..... Anyway, $150 is a lot cheaper than $700.

OP
OP
motomac
Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I'm just going to be devil's advocate.... if the 550 serves your purposes, why not get a refurb for $150. They are pretty reliable, replacement screens are available, and the cradles won't fail if you service them regularly (a couple of times a year). I use a contact cleaner with lube, and work it in the pins. 66x users could benefit from the same treatment..... Anyway, $150 is a lot cheaper than $700.
Thanks Ray, that's kinda what I'm getting. And the repair I made to the 550 may last forever! And to all who have chimed in here, thanks. I have read quite a few reviews on the 660 and 665 and I know what I have and am comfortable with it. Remember this is the guy who, up to few years ago was very comfortable with a road atlas.

safedoctor

Flip
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks Ray, that's kinda what I'm getting. And the repair I made to the 550 may last forever! And to all who have chimed in here, thanks. I have read quite a few reviews on the 660 and 665 and I know what I have and am comfortable with it. Remember this is the guy who, up to few years ago was very comfortable with a road atlas.
And now with XM welcome to the 21st century Mac...
My 2 cents is get the refurbished 550.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I rarely leave the house without an atlas!!!
+1 as much as I do rely on my 550, I still cary an atlas with me... and I also have my Droid X available too in case of failure. I love technology, but old reliable is great to have just in case.

Top Bottom