Zumo 550/Autocom/RAZR/Bluetooth setup

Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Just finished installing the Zumo 550 and all I can say is...d$@m! What a cool farkle this is. Having the GPS, XM radio, MP3's and cell phone all running through a single unit is fantastic. And thanks to the Navone Engineering isolated power supply and Centech fuse block, I'm listening to crystal clear, whine-free sound and can once again put the battery-side cover on without jamming it in for all the wires hooked up to the battery! Clean wiring, clean sound. I couldn't be happier.

Except...I'm having a weird issue with the bluetooth connection to the phone. Whenever I make or receive a phone call, the Autocom microphone seems to drop out after a few seconds. I can hear the person on the other end, but they can't hear me. If I stay on the line long enough, the bluetooth connection to the phone drops. If I hang up the call, the bluetooth connection to the phone drops.

Here's how I have the bluetooth stuff set up:

1. Autocom bluetooth adaptor (#1276) plugged into Aux 1
2. Stereo lead from Zumo plugged into Aux 3
3. Zumo paired via bluetooth to the Autocom part #1276 via the headset connection in the Zumo
4. RAZR phone paired via bluetooth to the Zumo via the phone connection in the Zumo

Anybody have any thoughts on why I'm having this weird issue with the phone? Everything else is working so darn perfect! I am in love with the Zumo, even with this little snag in the works :)

OP
OP
MLRickards
Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The Razr has pretty good bluetooth.. The zumo is great bluetooth, seems to grab and recognize my phone quickly. On the Wing, I've never had an issue with the Zumo keeping it's bluetooth connection even with the crappy bluetooth on the Treo650.

So, I'm thinking it's more related to the bluetooth dongle? you have connected to the aux that might be weak but I don't have much experience with that. are they expensive to get another one?

Also, try another phone. I'm actually switching out my Treo 650 with my SO's 8125 as it has a very good bluetooth connection and I can kept the phone in the trunk attached to a charger.

Seems like trying a different phone might be the easiest thing to do if you have another one avail. Obviously, if you still have the problem it's either the aux bluetooth device or the zumo.

I also have the mic / headset wired in via some additional wing wires.. So, I only have one bluetooth connection, phone to zumo, not two like you do with phone and aux bt device.

sorry, not a lot of help..

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah, I found this forum a little while ago and was coming back here to post it in case anyone else is having the same problem. Bottom line, I have to get a new phone. The RAZR v3 can't handle having the Zumo and Autocom bluetooth transmitters in close proximity.
So, the phone is trying to connect to the autocom bt device when that is already paired to the zumo? Good one, I think you are creating a tear in the time space continuum and may be transported back in time 100 years.:eek:4:

OP
OP
MLRickards
Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I figured this was a good excuse to pick up a new phone anyway, so I ordered an updated RAZR (v3t) last night. Will see if that works. I have the Autocom bluetooth dongle under the seat right now, which should be close enough. The Zumo has no problem recognizing it. But, if the new phone still has the problem, I can mount the dongle up under the fairing which puts it less than 12" from the Zumo.

Either way...I am loving this Zumo!!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I figured this was a good excuse to pick up a new phone anyway, so I ordered an updated RAZR (v3t) last night. Will see if that works. I have the Autocom bluetooth dongle under the seat right now, which should be close enough. The Zumo has no problem recognizing it. But, if the new phone still has the problem, I can mount the dongle up under the fairing which puts it less than 12" from the Zumo.

Either way...I am loving this Zumo!!
I wonder if you could dispense with the dongle and hard wire the zumo to the autocom? Then there is only one BT connection between the phone and the zumo. That's how I plan to connect my StarCom1 Advance up.

OP
OP
MLRickards
Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I wonder if you could dispense with the dongle and hard wire the zumo to the autocom? Then there is only one BT connection between the phone and the zumo. That's how I plan to connect my StarCom1 Advance up.
I spoke with the folks at Autocom about this. There is an option that eliminates the bluetooth dongle, but the trade off is having to send your unit back to them where they make a modification that eliminates some functionality. Basically, it eliminates the auto-reduction of the music when you and your passenger are speaking. I didn't want to lose that.

Of course, this was before I knew that I'd have to buy another phone to make the dongle option work! :( Still, I'd hate to have to explain to my wife that I opted to save money rather than give her sweet voice priority in the audio chain on the bike :)

Besides, my old RAZR was 20 months old, which people tell me is ancient in cell phone land. And...as I've come to learn about my beloved Autocom, you measure success and value by the number of expensive additional leads you have stuffed all over the bike! :eek:

FYI...if you're with T-Mobile and look to upgrade a phone. Don't do it online. Call the support number and negotiate. The online upgrade was $149. I got it for $109 just by asking. Got free shipping as well, so the total savings was $50 for the phone call.

Top Bottom