Article Zumo XT - (Almost) Everything that you need to know

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I have recently experienced problems with the Zumo XT failing to import Basecamp created routes when it recalculates the route. The recalculate process freezes, sometimes, at 99%. This only happens for some routes, not all. I have the same version of Garmin Maps on my Mac and on te Zumo XT. My Garmin Navigator V imports the same routes without any problem.

As this is a new problem that I have not seen before, I think the latest Zumo update from Garmin has introduced a bug which hopefully will be fixed in the next update.

OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, I have seen that. I haven't pinned down exactly when it happens, but I have a feeling that it might be due to having a start point some distance from the current location and/or settings like U turns making route calculation difficult.

I have other disorganised thoughts about it, but haven't started writing them down yet. When I see it, I can usually spot something to correct and it will load properly.

Too vague an answer, but you are not alone. I haven't seen anyone else report it yet.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I'm still figuring out how this thing works beyond the most rudimentary use, but one issue that hit me this past weekend on a three-day trip was the power connection was intermittent. I did some research at the hotel, and while it appears I have the newer power cable, there is still a chance the hot shoe backs away from the XT losing connection due to the design. The pins look fine and are springy like they should be.
When I got home I tucked a bit of foam ear plug between the hot shoe and the mount to encourage it to stay in contact, but I won't get a chance to test it right away. So if you're riding and the screen goes dim, you're on battery and running low. Other than that, it was pretty good in action, although I still can't seem to explain to my wife why I don't just use my phone.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Andy, did your import issue ever sort itself out?
Apologies for not replying Ashley.

Yes, I no longer see the import and route recalculation issues. I have kept the Zumo up to date with firmware and maps. I know use a 2022 M1 MacBook Pro useing Basecamp to create my routes and transfer them to the Zumo.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I'm still figuring out how this thing works beyond the most rudimentary use, but one issue that hit me this past weekend on a three-day trip was the power connection was intermittent. I did some research at the hotel, and while it appears I have the newer power cable, there is still a chance the hot shoe backs away from the XT losing connection due to the design. The pins look fine and are springy like they should be.
When I got home I tucked a bit of foam ear plug between the hot shoe and the mount to encourage it to stay in contact, but I won't get a chance to test it right away. So if you're riding and the screen goes dim, you're on battery and running low. Other than that, it was pretty good in action, although I still can't seem to explain to my wife why I don't just use my phone.
Just a thought, I believe there's a tiny screw to hold the hot shoe to the cradle.... should be a spare in your package if it got lost......
The other thing I do a couple of times a year is to lube the pins with contact cleaner and work the pins up and down to prevent corrosion of the little hidden springs behind them... more of an issue on older Garmins, but can't hurt.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Just a thought, I believe there's a tiny screw to hold the hot shoe to the cradle.... should be a spare in your package if it got lost......
The other thing I do a couple of times a year is to lube the pins with contact cleaner and work the pins up and down to prevent corrosion of the little hidden springs behind them... more of an issue on older Garmins, but can't hurt.
I checked and the screw is in place. But if you notice, the hot shoe is only retained at the top, yet the contacts are low in positions 3 and 5 near the cord. My cord routes forward and I think what happened was that the lower part of the hot shoe was no longer fully seated in the mount due to a bit of tension on the cord. If true, the packing and a bit more slack should keep the hot shoe properly seated in the mount. That's the theory, anyway.

Your thought does remind me that the extra screw and tiny driver should be added to the tool kit I carry, though.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Your thought does remind me that the extra screw and tiny driver should be added to the tool kit I carry, though.
Knowing there's no other "real" use for the screwdriver OR the tiny, tiny microscopic screw, I keep them in a small pocket in my tankbag.
Where I'll likely forget they're there when / if I ever actually NEED one or the other...
(Dammit! Now where did I put that thing?!)

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Hi @jfheath I started studying your awesome Zumo doc a few days ago on issuu but now access is restricted :(

edit: John fixed it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah. Issuu have started demanding payment of a fee for hosting published documents. I must get on there and see what options I have.

It seems that a single publication is restricted to 50 pages and 50Mb for their basic free account. I may be able to split it. I think the number of illustrations make it far too big to split into 50Mb chunks, but I'll check.

I've made the contents available here as a fully indexed series of web pages. I keep adding modifications to this site when I discover new stuff.

You may need to sign up for a free account

Last edited:
OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Google Drive is an option, too.
Not really, not for how I want to make it available. Doesn't it give anyone with the link free access to download the files ?

I think I can split it into 2 or 3 sections and re-publish it on Issuu. Just got to get round to it.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Not really, not for how I want to make it available. Doesn't it give anyone with the link free access to download the files ?
Yes, but you can specify to share just the one file you wish to share, and not anything / everything else there.
I may be misunderstanding you.
Sometimes I do that...

OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ok - I've managed to split the document into two halves. The links on the first post are new links, but they now point to the new half publications. The old link will no longer work.

@sky.high - if you would like to check that out and let me know if you can use it again now. I don't know what other changes Issuu have made and it seems that having an account, even if I am logged out, gives me a different view from other users. Presumably some info is cached.
If it works - it might be helpful to remove the screen shot that you posted that brought this issue (sic) to my attention.

Thanks for letting me know. They did tell me, but the changes they were proposing sounded more draconian than they have turned out to be.
It was a relatively easy fix.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Thanks @jfheath its accessible again now, I can continue my Garmin education, still very grateful for your Zumo route planning help several years ago, cannot beat personal service, game changer!

Top Bottom