ZZR 1200 forgotten sport touring bike 2002-2005

Bike
Kawasaki Versys 1000
Every time I go out to buy an ST 1300 I seem to come back with another bike. I recently came home with a 2002 ZZR 1200 Kawasaki. I think it’s considered a GT bike not an ST bike. This one has painted matching hard bags aftermarket windshield and Corbin seat.I also own Versys 1000 and VULCAN S. But I’m finding this to be my favorite bike to ride. It gets too much notoriety for being 186 mile an hour bike. My Allstate wanted 800 a year but progressive decided it was a sport touring bike so 250 bucks a year.
The position is a little more leaned over than I’m used to but I’m finding it incredibly comfortable with the addition of Genmar risers. I also put on 40 mm lower foot pegs I’m finding that the weight on my wrists are not noticeable for at least 3 hours. Chain indeed is a pain. The windshield is low but the airflow is very clean if you tuck down and you don’t feel any wind at all. It weighs the same as the Versys 1000. It is a bit harder to get up on the center stand but not impossibly hard. There is a total absence of electronics. No fuel injection no digital anything except for a small clock. It gets about 50 miles a gallon with a 6 gallon tank. I had some carb problems at first but I can of tech Ron seem to fix that. It’s incredibly easy to work on the faring panels come off sensibly and with the tank removed everything is accessible.
The bike gets a lot of attention for speed but I’m finding that the luggage center stand and 6 gallon tank make it a real long distance beast. The bike is incredibly attractive and has great wind protection.So for someone looking for an alternative to an ST 1300 maybe consider the ZZR 1200.

Attachments

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
A zzr1200 setup with hard cases for touring has been on my list for some time. An upgrade from my other bike which is a Kawi ZR7S.
I'd have bought a zzr1200 instead of the ST had one been available locally.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I admired the ZZR,but never owned 1.
The Blackbird will be my goto, however, when I look for another, after my next dualsport. Givi made a nice, unobtrusive rack that when used with 40l side cases and a top box of desired capacity, was actually not bad looking on the XX.
I don't care about the 9 extra mph of the Kawasaki, as the Honda was insanely quick if you like that speed rush, but it was all-day comfie in stock livery.
My first Saddlesore 1K was on a Blackbird, with stock bars and stock seat. I toured for 2 weeks with it, and rode it for 40K before trading for my first dualsport.

Reactions: Obo

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
What year versus.a few questions if you don’t mind! How is weather protection, foot peg position when foot planted on ground?

More expensive here than the Yamaha tracer; but Kwai has 2 year warranty(3?) Yamaha.ha I has 90 day.thanks.

OP
OP
tgreenwald
Bike
Kawasaki Versys 1000
No not new bike 2002-2005 I changed post

Nice design to hold up for 20 years

I installed some PRC eBay CNC 40mm foot pegs. Fixed the can’t get my huge boots under the shift. For me 5’11” fit is perfect. Feels light underway and slow speeds, flat feet and easy to hold up. Heavy getting on the centerstand and you just need good timing and there is a put it up on the centerstand handle under the seat.

It's a touring bike first in my mind. Popular with drag racers who lower it and work on jetting and dyne crap. I'm a touring rider and this is a great touring steed. I just never seemed to find the right deal on a ST. I had a job one summer selling motorcycles in Ocala Florida and lusted after the ST on the showroom. I did not even know how to ride back then but wanted one!

Again I point out there is much more to this and the XX than speed

Power is very linear not jerky. Yes it loves to go fast but a lot of fun slow on 40 mph backroads

Last edited:
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Often heard about the ZZR, sounds a lot like the riding position of my VFR800 which is surprisingly good after risers and a Russell seat, stock peg height. Blackbird might be a little more sporty position, but heard good things about them too (a buddy had one). Another thing that caught my eye (discussed in another sandbox) was the Ninja 1000 or formerly known here as the Z1000SX in sport touring trim....
I have a 2016 Versys 1000 now, liking it a lot, more situp style but instantly comfortable, 120HP is OK by me, goes fast as I need to go. 2015-up the way to go, but if you want cruise, you need 2019-up.... I'd hope there is a non-electric suspension model......

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
That was on my list in 2004, when I bought the ST.
Brenda didn't like it, so I never even sat on one.
FZ1 and Connie were two others that she turned thumbs down on.

Nice looking bike.

Steve

OP
OP
tgreenwald
Bike
Kawasaki Versys 1000
Yes totally agree with the Versys recommendation as I own a 2015. I may end up selling it and keep this one instead. Versys 1000 is great for 2 up. ZZR is just OK with the Corbin seat. I sold a Vulcan 900 to buy the ZZR and that was a much better 2 up bike but, yawn, boring as all get out

Top Bottom