Helmet with heated visor

As the days get colder in the coming fall, I find riding to work in the early morning hours makes it difficult to keep the fogging off my helmet face shield. Being a snowmobile enthusiast and set up for the snowmobile season, I think I have this problem solved. First, I made a switch box out of a 1x2x3 project box which I purchased at radio shack. On the box I added two LED rocker switches, blue and red. A heated visor accessory socket (purchased from my SkiDoo dealer) was also added to this box. Blue switch left, Red switch center and power socket on the right side, in that order. It's a pretty tight fit, but it all fit in place when it was completed. The blue LED switch was added to operate my auxilary fork lights in place of the bug switch that I had. The red LED switch gives me the option to turn the acccessory socket on or off. This could also be used as a twelve volt power source as well. The auxilary lights and the accessory socket are powered from the switched 12 volts coming from the quartlet harness, (red connector) for the power socket. The nine pin connector switched 12 volts I used for the auxilary lights and ran the wire for the switch to my switch box that I made. This neat little box is installed on my left handle bar with a metal bracket that I attached to the bolts that hold the clutch lever housing. Now when it gets colder I just use my snowmobile helmet with the heated visor and plug it into the power socket, and no more fogging. Most high quality snowmobile helmets are snell/DOT rated and have electric visors and removable breath deflectors, which help keep breath away from your face shield as well. BRP makes a nice line of helmets for snowmobiling with electric visors that have an optional road visor which can be purchased for motorcycles as well. These helmets also have a drop down sun visor too. I'm actually thinking about getting one of these helmets.
My next project is to add powerlet sockets and get a heated jacket liner. That will have to wait until next season.

Neat idea. I've looked at snowmobile stuff myself. They are good source for all types of cold weather gear. For those that don't want to fool around with electrical stuff an alternative would be the Scorpion helmets. The no-fog shields really work.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
+1 on what Dave said...

Pinlock system...No fogging and much simpler..
Few weeks ago when we did the "Endurance Ride", one of the guys had a pinlock on his visor. It was sooo cold (HOW COLD WAS IT? 12.4?) that his breath was condensing and freezing on the pinlock. My shield froze up, too. Had to stop and scrape off the frost.

I'm thinking that the heated snow mobile visor would be the only way around this issue.

I've noted that many of the snow mobile helmets *appear* to be the same as their M/C brothers, with different visors attached.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I've had my N102 w/ pinlock freeze on the earlier this year :eek:: I was happy with the pinlock at first... then it started to get foggy looking after a while.

Went back to Scorpion... been real happy with my EXO-1000 :)

Top Bottom