ST1300 vs. FJR1300

while i have pretty much decided on my next bike (ST), i would like to hear anyones opinions, that may have compared the st to the fjr when they were looking. i have looked at both and the st seems to fit me more like my concours does, and i am very comfortable on that bike. also, it seems that the st would be more comfy for the passenger, and most of my riding is 2-up.

how do they compare as far as maintenance goes? what about insurance costs?

One shot
been there done that...
Here is a post on this subject..
FJR VS ST

Here is my excerpt from my last post on this subject:
Over the winter I did my homework..Believe me I did my homework..
It was back and forth between FJR, BMW RT1150/1200 and ST..
I spent all winter lurking on the FJR and RT boards listeining to the raves and complaints looking for patterns and trends..

On paper, my original choice was the FJR..

The engine power and lightness were pretty much the universal raves between fans and non fans alike..
The downsides (Consistent trend in complaining among owners of the Feejer)were:
The way Yamaha treated their customers who have problems..
Some people complained of engine ticking.(To be fair probably only 15% or so but still often enough to rule out it as being an abhoration)
Also, consistent off and on about engine heat.
Vibration - Bars are not rubber mounted like the ST so the vibes go right to your hands..

I still liked the Bike so I went to NYC to the Bike show to see it for myself..
Once I sat on it, this is when my longing for it immediatley died..
My personal issues:
Fit and finish -- Very chinsy (is that a word?) Exposed screws bolts and rivets everywhere. Plastic hanging off at the end of the fairing bottom just waiting to break.
The front end felt very small. It felt like a pocket bike. (to me)
The fairing does not wrap around the frame like RT and ST. The frame is exposed and there a stupid weld sitting right in front of your thigh..(Does not bother people but it does me. Just my own quirk)

I met an FJ rider three weeks ago and he echoed the same complaints almost immediately in our conversation..
Handlebar vibration and engine heat.
The two bikes were parked side by side and all I can think of looking at them was Cadillac and Lumina.
Yes the Fj is faster but shees..The ST hits 60 in mid 3s..Plenty fast enough for me and besides I don't plan on entering any races anytime soon..

As to some commenting on the heat of the ST..I don't understand it. Yes its warm..But thats all..warm..There is abolutley no SEARING heat etc...

thanx. guess i could use the search feature (insert "embarrassed" smiley face)......i'll be sure to do that before i start asking questions about oil and tires....

kevin

Last edited:
oneshot said:
thanx. guess i could use the search feature (insert "embarrassed" smiley face)......i'll be sure to do that before i start asking questions about oil and tires....

kevin

I don't think you have to do that. Most on this Forum are happy to rehash these questions, and often other points of view will come forward as a result.

Phil

I, too, considered the FJR1300 and R1150RT along with the ST1300.

I didn't ride an FJR (no test rides that I could find) but when I sat on one in a dealership I was turned off by the seating position. That ended it right there for me, with the lousy convenience storage and wind coverage adding to it.

I always liked but never rode a friend's R1100RT. When the 1150 came out I sat on one and liked the riding position, equipment, and overall execution. The BMW community is tight and a great resource. I went to the dealer with checkbook in hand planning to ride a silver 1150 home. The dealer insisted I take a test ride. I did. Half an hour later I returned to say "No thanks." I found the motor coarse and buzzy. It also sounds like a blender. I understand the 1200 is improved, but there's only so much you can do to smooth a large twin.

The ST had great riding position, wind coverage, and overall execution. The design is beautiful to my eyes. I would have liked heated grips standard, but that was a relatively minor farkle (FYI, my first set died after two seasons and Honda replaced/reinstalled even though I installed the original set). The motor is smooth and powerful and I like the turbine whine.

For what it's worth, I've had both Harley dudes and Beemer dudes complain to me that Hondas in general and ST's in particular lack "character." My view is that smoothness and reliability IS Honda character. I bought the Honda and have been pleased with the bike and the ST community. I've even had good luck with Mother Honda and the dealer.

:03biker:

oneshot said:

kevin

curmudgeon said:
I don't think you have to do that. Most on this Forum are happy to rehash these questions, and often other points of view will come forward as a result.

Phil

I agree totally with phil. I don't see it very much on this forum but on many others there are people who act like it's our duty to keep them entertained by only bringing up new topics. For them discussing "old topics" not amusing. Typically when you do find the old discussions in the archives they really don't answer the exact question you need an answer for anyway.

So ask away Kevin. You can bet someone else has a similar question. It's why the forum is interactive.

oneshot said:
...compared the st to the fjr...
It's already been stated, but the ST has a three year unlimited mileage factory warranty, which can be extended to a seven year unlimited mileage factory warranty for about $300-400. Warranty includes parts and labor and is transferrable.

There was even a deal (don't know if it still exists) for a $100 extended warranty rebate from Red Rider magazine, putting the price at about $255. Incredible.

As you can see when you search the archives, I have both the ST and the FJR. My wife drives the FJR and absolutely loves it. She rides the ST from time to time, but doesn't like it as well. If you look at the FJR forums (I can give them to you if you don't already have them), you will see just the opposite opinions than at this forum. There was a guy named Mighty Joe or something like that who just did the same comparison and I think he got the FJR.

They are both great bikes and I could live with either one. I think the ST fits me better than the FJR, but that FJR motor is really intoxicating.

Tom

jackpine savage said:
I agree totally with phil. I don't see it very much on this forum but on many others there are people who act like it's our duty to keep them entertained by only bringing up new topics. For them discussing "old topics" not amusing. Typically when you do find the old discussions in the archives they really don't answer the exact question you need an answer for anyway.

So ask away Kevin. You can bet someone else has a similar question. It's why the forum is interactive.

Not only that, sometimes we change our answers just to keep it interesting :rolleyes:

Chris :biker:

200,000 miles on myST1100 and never been overhauled and still going strong. WILL an FJR owner be able to say that , I doubt it!

A Little Understanding

I've been reading ST and FJR reviews on both this forum and the FJR forum site, and it's unbelievable how much childish bickering there is between the owners on which bike is better. The bottom line is that both the ST and the FJR are great bikes. Why is it so hard to see that? I suppose there's too much ego resting on the set of wheels one owns. Each bike has strengths and weaknesses that need to be tailored to the rider and the type of riding one does, but honestly, I've ridden both and I could be happy with either one. I'm currently riding an '04 FJR-ABS with 16,000 miles, and I'm willing to give whatever objective feedback that I can on the bike, both pros and cons.
I'm fascinated with all types of bikes, whatever the brand.

Good Riding!

exploreinman said:
I've been reading ST and FJR reviews on both this forum and the FJR forum site, and it's unbelievable how much childish bickering there is between the owners on which bike is better. The bottom line is that both the ST and the FJR are great bikes. Why is it so hard to see that? I suppose there's too much ego resting on the set of wheels one owns. Each bike has strengths and weaknesses that need to be tailored to the rider and the type of riding one does, but honestly, I've ridden both and I could be happy with either one. I'm currently riding an '04 FJR-ABS with 16,000 miles, and I'm willing to give whatever objective feedback that I can on the bike, both pros and cons.

Good Riding!

Don't know what you mean by childish bickering..I don't see it here...
Most of us are here at this site because of the obvious choice we made..
I, like most of the guys who replied to this post attempted to state our own personal reasons for choosing the ST over the FJ because the thread poster asked for them. For example that the controls on the yammie felt chinsy to me does not constitute childish bickering..Its how they felt TO ME...Hey he asked..what kind of opinion do you want..if you want mine ask..if not, don't..Like I said about the yam..beautiful bike and a rocket I am sure..But when I sat on, it didn't like what I was looking at...Likewise a guy on the FJ forum will feel the same towards the ST..

Bike (I think it was Bike, it was a UK mag.) just compared the BMW, ST, FJR, and Sprint. They had some interesting comments about the difference between the ST and FJR. The magazine isn't in the STudio tonight it's down at the house, but I'll post some quotes tomorrow. In the end they felt the Sprint outdid them all overall.

STill they took all the bikes on a long trip over varying roads and from their comments on the ST you could tell they actually rode one (which you can't tell from some US mags.) Their comments on the FJR were ones I'd heard hinted at elsewhere as well.

Carl_T said:
Bike (I think it was Bike, it was a UK mag.) just compared the BMW, ST, FJR, and Sprint. They had some interesting comments about the difference between the ST and FJR. The magazine isn't in the STudio tonight it's down at the house, but I'll post some quotes tomorrow. In the end they felt the Sprint outdid them all overall.

STill they took all the bikes on a long trip over varying roads and from their comments on the ST you could tell they actually rode one (which you can't tell from some US mags.) Their comments on the FJR were ones I'd heard hinted at elsewhere as well.

I need to pick up a copy of Bike.
In the absence of that, any quotes you can provide would be helpful. :D

exploreinman said:

Good Riding!

Childish Bikering? And this was YOUR first post..... Ah, have you really read this board? First of all, it's an ST board so pretty much everyone here has choosen the ST and will have an obvious level of pride in that bike, I'm sure the same thing goes for the FJR, VFR, Duc or Hog sites. I had a Wing, got the ST and then went back to the Wing because it fits me better. But, I still love the ST and it will always have a place in my heart.

I appreciate all bikes as they all have their pros and cons and those are all subjective depending on the person providing those pros and cons. Many here will agree with that statement.

This specific forum was not created to put down the FJR but to help those trying to decide on which of the two bikes would be better for them, again, this is an ST board so many of the opinions will weigh heavily on the side of the ST. I also did this for the ST vs. Wing board, I may change this to "OR" instead of "vs." maybe that makes more sense. I know of a Wing and ST owner that would probably be happier with the Wing and an FJR but that's okay, everyone has their own decisions to make and everyone here is happy with theirs, or they'll make adjustments and again, that's okay.

I also take pride in this board and it's members and the level of integrity they show when posting so when you say there's childish bickering... well, you're wrong, plain and simple.

If you are an FJR owner and you have looked at the ST but it didn't quite work for you then please post your opinions on why, I'm sure there are those here that would appreciate your point of view and any attacks because of that point of view will not be taken lightly by the admins (I'm an admin). We appreciate information and knowledge here, not emotional rants (okay, mine are accepted but I'm an admin :D ).

The only childish bickering I've noticed are my posts.

Straight Line

I've said it before...

The FJR is a great bike if there are no corners on your commute. The steering is awful. The windscreen is crap and the finish is well below the Honda. Read the Bike article this month, or the TWO article from a couple of months back. The FJR is quickly fading from the scene and has lately been place 3rd in comparisons.

kingprawnokay said:
I've said it before...

The FJR is a great bike if there are no corners on your commute. The steering is awful. The windscreen is crap and the finish is well below the Honda. Read the Bike article this month, or the TWO article from a couple of months back. The FJR is quickly fading from the scene and has lately been place 3rd in comparisons.

I don't understand the reviews.... When the FJR and ST first came out, it was all FJR and STs were 2nd place in almost all of the reviews... Neither bike has change much at all. Are there any reveiws that re-reviewed the bikes and adjusted their original placement or are the reviews spoken of here new ones?

I would think that the FJR, being lighter, faster and more nimbler would eat up the ST in the twisties, seems like plain physics... I've never ridden one so I don't have any personal experience, I sat on one once and it wasn't what I wanted becuse it was too 'sport bike' to me... but, that's me...

I take mag reviews with a grain on salt anyway as you don't always know what motivates the reviewers or their riding styles or any hidden agendas, I'm somewhat paranoid...... An ex-Winger would almost always pick the ST and an ex-Duc rider would almost always pic the FJR... that's my opinion...

"Sporty"

I don't know what it is, but all of the magazines are (correctly) changing their tune about the FJR. These are all new articles and the FJR is placed last. I rode a used FJR and didn't think it was sportier at all. I equate sportiness with cornering not straight line performance. The ST handles much better. The FJR was slow to lean into turns and city driving was abysmally choppy. I think in this case the term "sportier" refers to a chassis that isn't very sophisitcated or sorted. It will go fast in a straight line though.

My two cents...

The motorcycle media (mm) seems to be like any other type of media. They all have their biases. In my opinion, the mm has long held a bias against Honda. Once public opinion goes against them (the mm) they slowly start to come around. I believe this explains the recent change in reviews since neither bike has changed since inception. That is why I formulated my own opinion of the two bikes from first hand experience.

My dealer sells Yamaha and Honda. I saw both on the show room floor, took both for about an hour test drive. I rode the ST first because I liked the looks better - point one. Point two- both were fast, the ST somewhat smoother and the FJ somewhat quicker. Point three- For the type of riding I do (commuting and long distance, 43,000 miles on my '03) the ST was clearly (subjective, yes, but the what is TO ME) the better choice. The FJ felt like something I might have built in my garage. It wasn't as refined as the ST. Point four- Other than fluid changes, there was no maintenance needed on my ST, not even valve adjustment after 36,000 miles! Previous ST's (and Honda's in general) have very good reliability records, while over the years several Yamaha owners that I know personally have not been so blessed.

Granted an hour on each bike is probably more time than most get to test drive before buying and probably not enough time to form a definitive long term opinion either way, but one has to trust their gut. And in this case my gut didin't let me down!

Back
Top Bottom