Hondaline Grips - Which grip glue?

Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #
I installed the Hondaline grips using Scott grip glue that I had in stock. The glue didn't hold on the throttle side. My thought was that I had not used enough glue (I was extra cautious and used minimal glue. I had only used the grips on the first setting so I didn't think excessive heat was the issue. So I took the grip back off cleaned and dried everything carefully and applied more of the Scott grip glue. It held longer but still failed within 1 month.

Should I use a different glue? The directions call for "Honda Bond A" Any success with that?

Any wisdom from experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
yea use the honda stuff never had a problem with mine .
My grips loosen up at the highest heat setting, and were installed by a Honda dealer. Not a guarantee that they used Honda's product... do you have heated grips?

I am also looking for the right product, so I have no suggestions. I will try the hairspray idea, even if it is a joke :)

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
hair spray isn't a joke. slippery when wet to slide on and sticky when dry.
cleans up with alcohol

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
Hey I did forget about hairspray ,that should do it ,oh and window cleaner works great for cleaning grip and sleeve.Have fun! :slv13: Robert-07-ST

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
How does it hold up in the rain?
I have not had any problems. Road in rain two days this past summer on a trip, and the grips are still rock solid after 4 years. They have been in heavy rain in the past also. After the grip dries, water can not get in, the rubber seals out the water.

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
as far as I've been told, NONE of them are wrong:p:
ROFLMAO

BTW and FWIW it wasnt Honda glue I used when I installed my after market heated grips but some other kind of grip glue. If I had it to do over again I would use hair spray. YMMV.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I just installed Honda heated grips with the Honda grip glue. Hair spray is water soluble, but can break down in the rain. The instruction says remove old glue from bars with isopropyl alcohol. It doesn?t come off that easy...the Honda glue contains MEK, which I decided to use to remove it old stuff. I also installed them like I do all my motorcycles...a thin coat on handlebar, thin coat on inside of grip...glue "goes off fast" so reactivate with a wipe of MEK and slide on. This is very similar how we installed de-ice boots to leading edges of aircraft...they get hot, get wet, and are subject to high loads and they stick...worked for me...my 2 cents

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
Hairspray doesn't cut it in the rains of the NE. I used the recommended hi-temp epoxy with my Symtecs and it has held for almost 4 years now. I would not trust anything else IMO.

Top Bottom