Heated Grip Problem

Posting for a friend that doesn't have the support team on his bike like we have here...

He has purchased the Symtec Heated Elements cause I told them they would be fine. They did work well last year as he only could stand to run them on Low. Now this year he went to run them and they barely get hot. He can put them on High or Low and there is no heat difference. He is getting good power to the switch and coming off the switch. Could the elements have gone bad...

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Is he measuring the voltage off the switch with the elements still connected?
If not he could see 12volts with the elements disconnected but something lower when they are drawing power if the contacts are corroded. I'd start by checking all connections including the wire crimps etc. to make sure everything is clean and tight after I checked out that switch. How do they get power, maybe a powertap that broke thru some wire strands or got corroded?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The round rocker switch that comes with those grips isn't very weather resistant. If the contacts get all corroded like mine did, you'll see full voltage but won't get enough current flow. I replaced the switch but I pried the new one apart first (after practicing on the old one) and slathered a big gob of dielectric grease in there. So far so good but time will tell. I'd really like to find a good SPDT replacement that'll fit in the hole I drilled and that's truly weatherproof.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
You might find something in your local marine store and mates with a waterproof boot? Might need a knock out (whoops) plug from the hardware store for the original hole and drill a smaller hole in it.

Top Bottom