Get gas smell out of leather?

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
I need to get the smell of spilled gasoline out of leather, without ruining the leather.

I have seen cleaning tips like washing/dabbing with diluted vinegar, or covering in baking soda, or putting in a ziploc bag with sliced potatoes.

Before I use any of these methods, do you know if these methods will ruin the leather of my Held Steve glove?
Or do you know an even better method?

Bike
08 ST1300A
I use a liberal dose of baking soda in my summer weight leather gloves when they get a bit on the nose. Your hands will feel a bit chalky with the powder residue after the first ride or two. However, I'm not sure how effective baking soda will be on petrol smells.

Bike
2008 ST1300
I don't know how well it works on leather, but baby powder will take the smell of jet fuel off of clothing.
I used to work inside aircraft fuel tanks and we would use baby powder to squash the smell off our uniforms.
Good luck.

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Light a match near it... gas smell will be gone in a few minutes... :crackup
:cool:

edit: Oh! You mean without ruining the glove... only time... you could try getting some 'flavored' oil and working it into the leather (just a little dab will do ya)...

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Saddle Soap...is a mess. Not really a leather cleaner at all....
I'm not sure about the gasoline smell...but a good leather balm is the way to go to preserve the glove.

Bike
06 ST
Having done a lot of fishing, if you get a stinky fish smell on your hands after cleaning or handling fish, apply some spice "Thyme" to your hands, fish smell is instantly gone. It may work on gas smell, worth a try. Gas smell will remain in leather for a long time. Dave B. Denver

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800
Take a large ziplock bag and the kitty litter of your choice (potatos will leave starch stains)

Fill, shake and let sit overnight (get some inside the gloves as well) - smell will be gone by morning

Remove from the bag, gently clean with a top shelf leather cleaner and blow out the insides with compressed air

Treat the gloves with Lexol or McGuires (or similar top shelf) leather treatment

You're good to go

Bike
ST1300
From Held web site:-

Rinse the gloves with clean water, do not use high pressure. You may also let the gloves soak for awhile in clear water to loosen up and draw the sweat out of the gloves. Now wash the inside of the gloves with soap and water. Dilute soap in the water; do not apply soap concentrate directly into gloves. Regular antibacterial liquid hand soap works well. Allow the gloves to soak in the soapy water. Using your hands, work the inside surfaces of the gloves. Rinse and repeat as needed until you are satisfied that the gloves are clean. Rinse the gloves thoroughly. Do not twist or wring the gloves when wet; this may distort the shape and fit of the gloves. Use your fingers and hands, starting at the finger tips and working down, press or squeeze the water out of the gloves. You may place a small folded towel in the gloves and press the water out of the padding and Kevlar lining in the back of the gloves. Now allow the gloves to dry slowly. Do not place in direct sunlight or expose to high heat. Lying in front of a fan in the garage is a good place. Just before the gloves are completely dry, put the gloves on and shape them to your hand while damp. Remove the gloves, trying to keep this hand shape in the gloves. Allow to continue drying. After the gloves are completely dry, apply a good quality leather conditioner. This is very important. Properly treated and conditioned (oiled) leather will breathe and the internal micro fibers will move freely in the leather. Use a good quality leather conditioner that will allow the leather to breathe. Apply conditioner generously and rub into the leather. Allow the conditioner to soak into the gloves and reapply (you can do this in the sun). Wipe off any excess conditioner and make sure the gloves are not slick on the motorcycle controls.

You should do this at least once a year. More often if you sweat heavily, ride in a hot climate, notice salt rings (white stains) or discoloration from repeatedly being soaked with sweat, if the leather gets hard or stiff, or if you begin to notice a smell from the gloves.

Paula

scootac

Will Ride for Food
I'd think hanging the gloves outside on a warm sunny day would help a lot. No harm to the gloves either.

BUT,,,,,, and I can't believe nobody else has asked yet,,,,,, what leads up to you asking such a question?????

C'mon,,,, fess up!!!!:D

OP
OP
pretbek

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
I'd think hanging the gloves outside on a warm sunny day would help a lot. No harm to the gloves either.

BUT,,,,,, and I can't believe nobody else has asked yet,,,,,, what leads up to you asking such a question?????

C'mon,,,, fess up!!!!:D
Ummm, not taking my left glove off when putting fuel in the Versys. :rolleyes:
I grabbed the hose which turned out to be full of gas from the previous user, who seemed to have dripped it all over.
Now I know not to be lazy and take both gloves off when getting gas.

Byron

STOC #
Don't know if it will remove the gas smell, but Held recommends you wash your gloves. I'd try the wash and follow with the leather conditioner.

http://heldusa.com/glove_care.html
+1, I washed my Held gloves earlier in the year. It worried me to soak an expensive pair of gloves and hope they come out OK. It took a couple of days to air dry but they seemed fine. I wanted to waterproof them a little so rubbed in Mink Oil and let sit for another day or two before riding with them. The leather that is used doesn't seem to harden after being wet and the added oils help keep them soft.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Ummm, not taking my left glove off when putting fuel in the Versys. :rolleyes:
I grabbed the hose which turned out to be full of gas from the previous user, who seemed to have dripped it all over.
Now I know not to be lazy and take both gloves off when getting gas.
Well, gee, that's not very interesting or exciting at all. I was hoping for a big long-winded gut-busting story.
Maybe I'll get lucky next time!:D

Top Bottom