Using Honda GL1800 Crash Bars??

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I saw a post here recently stating that Gold Wing Crash Bars will mount on the rear of a ST1300. Can be used as roll over bars. Even saw a set fro sale on this board. I have set and they don't seem to match the bolt holes on the lower rear of my ST1300.

Any suggestions or information on these.

Thanks,

Lee Ullmann
Casa Grande,AZ:)

You have to trim the Wing mounts a little, so they'll sit flat and then open the holes to fit the ST bolts. Longer bolts are needed and the bars have to be squeezed together for the holes to line up. I've got mine drilled and trimmed, but keep forgetting to put them on.

John

I saw an article about installing the Goldwing crash bars a long time ago. Do a search and see what you can find. I have MCL crash bars and they are as good, or better than the Goldwing crash bars.

Attachments

• ST rear guards.jpg
    ST rear guards.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 167
I saw a post here recently stating that Gold Wing Crash Bars will mount on the rear of a ST1300. Can be used as roll over bars. Even saw a set fro sale on this board. I have set and they don't seem to match the bolt holes on the lower rear of my ST1300.

Any suggestions or information on these.

Thanks,

Lee Ullmann
Casa Grande,AZ:)

I've seen the thread too. Used to have pics attached. Maybe Mellow can help with the pics. This thread describes the spacers and holes he had to drill to make it work. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?78490-Gold-Wing-Tip-Over-Bars-on-ST

I can swear to the value of the above mentioned bars. My third ride on my new to me bike, I trow my leg over the bike, raise the kick-stand, and realize I have an F4 wedgie. Without thinking I commenced a rather spirited 'realignment dance.' Much to my horror I managed to over-balance the bike. For about .03 of a second I thought of fighting the inevitable, then prayed the bars would do their duty. Much to my relief the left bag bar received a dent/scratch in the paint and the forward plastic cover has a barely noticeable ding.

I didn't install the bars, but I'm seriously in debt the the prior owner that did the upgrade. In my opinion they saved me the cost of a left saddle-bag. However I was not alone and my riding buddy was shocked at how easy I made out. And yes he did dig me a few times about my lack of grace. LoL

Last edited:
Hi from Down Under. I purchased a pair of GL1800 from a triked goldwing used but in great condition. Yes the holes do not line up,

BUT I managed to get them bolted by:

1) enlarge / elongate the bolt holes on the new guards, use a a drill, round file, tapered carburundum, drill bit etc..

2) purchase 2 very large and heavy duty hose clamps / bands from hardware store. ($4) I also had a large chain lock vise grip plier but not a must if the bands are strong

3) you can thread one bolt to the top mount and start to tightent the bands (with a good socket set) the U shaped gaurd pipe will come together to line up.

see photos attached!

good luck

Question ? I don't understand the need for extra tip over bars on the ST1300. Are we talking actual tip overs, at zero to say three mph? I have dropped my '03 at least four times and nothing touches but the tires and Honda's own tip over wing. No damage done. I don't have a top case.

Ed

You have been lucky. You will find out why folks put the rear tip over bars on the first time you put one of your saddlebags on the asphalt in a tip over. Believe me, it can happen. I am not sure how much Honda wants for a new saddlebag but I hope that I never find out.
Just looked up the cost of a saddlebag. Around 500 dollars. I will keep my tip over rear guards on my bike.

Last edited:
Question ? I don't understand the need for extra tip over bars on the ST1300. Are we talking actual tip overs, at zero to say three mph? I have dropped my '03 at least four times and nothing touches but the tires and Honda's own tip over wing. No damage done. I don't have a top case.

Ed
The OEM tip over wings do an excellent job for no speed and very low speed drops but sometimes the bike falls over with enough force to rock a bit further over a get the mirror covers and/or a saddlebag.

Mine has dropped with full force, I was getting the hell out of the way, not trying to stop it. I am thinking that a loaded top box is the cause of it going over center on the Honda wing and causing the damage. All this of course is if you are on pretty level ground. Perhaps that is why Honda doesn't sell the top box in the US, it has nothing to do with too many lawyers and high speed wobble. (smile)

Ed

I have MCL crash bars and they are as good, or better than the Goldwing crash bars.

Kind of a subjective opinion there. Curious... how do you evaluate, assess weight of points and score them to know they are better?

Wall thickness?
Strength of tubing?
Grade of mounting hardware?
Compatibility with other accessories?
Ease of installation?
Removal required for servicing bike?
Interference with feet?
Pillion comfort?
Durability of finish?
Appearance?

Well, this is the way that I see it.

Kind of a subjective opinion there. Curious... how do you evaluate, assess weight of points and score them to know they are better?

Wall thickness?
The MCL tip over bars are the same ones that are used on police STs. The police have very strict requirements on the equipment that they use on their units.
Strength of tubing?
See above. Nothing more to say. The MCL tip over bars also have an additional brace on the bars to make them really sturdy.
Grade of mounting hardware?
Looks good to me.
Compatibility with other accessories?
No problems that I have found. If you carry a passenger there are some issues. I don't carry a passenger so no problem for me.
Ease of installation?
Couldn't be easier, and I am terrible with a wrench.
Removal required for servicing bike?
No problem.
Interference with feet?
Yes, for the passenger. MCL sells passenger pegs that solve this problem.
Pillion comfort?
Great, with the available passenger pegs.
Durability of finish?
Powdercoated. Pretty tough stuff. If I should nick it I can get a spray can and touch it up.
Appearance?
This is pretty subjective, but I like the way they look. Since they are black they don't stand out much compared to the chrome Gold wing bars.

Last edited:
For years I thought the tip over bars made by two well know vendors were homely and detracted from the look of the bike. When I saw a bike that had GL1800 bars I thought they looked good and integrated into the bike's looks like Honda designed them for the ST. I installed a pair soon thereafter. The price difference and retained functionality of the pillion pegs was just gravy.

I know looks are subjective and my opinion means little to anyone but myself.

Have you figured out a way to still attach passenger foot pegs. I bought a bike that has these crash bars, but my wife would really like more to put her foot on. if I can't come up with a solution, I will have to swap the bars for the pegs, I would really like to have both. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Have you figured out a way to still attach passenger foot pegs. I bought a bike that has these crash bars, but my wife would really like more to put her foot on. if I can't come up with a solution, I will have to swap the bars for the pegs, I would really like to have both. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Cut the support off that runs between the bar and the foot peg support and reinstall the foot pegs- still better than no bars at all.

Back
Top Bottom