GPS power Chinavasion

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
My Chinavasion GPS has been powered from my fuseblock with the Chinavasion power cord pictured.
No idea what the fat cylinder shaped thing is inline.
My question is can I power it using a standard USB cable (no cylinder shaped thing inline), as I've just added a USB outlet to the bike

DSCF0002 (2).JPG

The cylinder could be a noise filter, or a voltage regulator. It's hard to advise you without knowing.

Or, you could experiment. Read the output voltage, or simply try your idea and watch for smoke.

Can you hook the Chinavision power cord up to 12v and then measure the other end with a volt meter? That will tell you at least if it's 5v.

Like was said it may be a filter but I'm guessing it's a converter based on the size that drops the 12vs to another voltage. It may be 5, but it could also be something else.

Yes you can.
I have a little 120V to 12V to USB converter I take when traveling to power the GPS in the room.
If it is only power, it will not go into 'download mode'.
I just don't remember if you can get to the GPS USB port when the unit it in the cradle.
And I don't know how 'waterproof' that connection would be.

Check the specs for your GPS, most will run on between 5V to 24V, but yours may be different. Most likely it runs on 12VDC and the "fat cylinder" is a choke/inductor which helps block EMI (electro-magnetic interference).

I just don't remember if you can get to the GPS USB port when the unit it in the cradle.
You can't. The side flap has to open to get to the port which prevents it from sitting in the cradle.

I'm pretty certain the output of the Chinavasion charger is 5V... it will state that on the labeling on the "fat cylinder", which is the voltage regulator to knock it down from battery/charge voltage to 5V. I don't think USB charging will be enough to charge the GPS while navigating though, but it's worth trying. Since you can't charge via the USB port, you'll need to splice into the charging wire that goes into the cradle.

At one point, I bought a 12V to 5V regulator and did the splicing because my Chinavasion charger quit working. I bought one with a higher current capacity than USB. It worked for about 6 months and then quit, so I just bought another Chinavasion charger and wired that in to my Fuzeblock. Actually, I bought two of the Chinavasion chargers because I've had two go bad on me... my first one and one that Uncle Phil gave me. I now have a spare, but the replacement has lasted a couple years. Keep us up to date on what you end up doing.

BTW, FodSports on eBay now sells the 5 Inch Win CE with the software for $119.
Not a bad price since it includes the software.
And a discount if you buy 'multiples'! ;)
The only difference from the Chinavasion is the FodSports logo on it.
They are also on AliExpress though I have never done business through them.

I was under the impression that many plug their GPS into USB power? No?
Here are some numbers below , if they are of any help.

You can't. The side flap has to open to get to the port which prevents it from sitting in the cradle.

Mine connects right up while in the cradle, but the flap has to be open. So
yes, the "waterproofness" would be an issue.

I'm pretty certain the output of the Chinavasion charger is 5V... it will state that on the labeling on the "fat cylinder", which is the voltage regulator to knock it down from battery/charge voltage to 5V.
So that cable is called Chinavasion's "charger"?
yep, it says 5v 1.5A
Says DC adapter right on it if I had looked!

Since you can't charge via the USB port
????

BTW, FodSports on eBay now sells the 5 Inch Win CE with the software for $119.
Good to know Phil. I have noticed that the Chinavasion version doesn't seem to be around.

DSCF0003 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Dean.

If anyone gets the FodSports model, confirm that it's WinCE and not Android. I ordered the WinCE and got the Android. :(

Thanks for the info Dean.
If anyone gets the FodSports model, confirm that it's WinCE and not Android. I ordered the WinCE and got the Android. :(
Paul - I ordered 4 and they all came as Win CE.
However, remembering your experience, I messaged the seller first to be sure that was the case.
I told them if it was not, they would get them back at their expense!

Dean - Just curious - has the charger block failed?
If not, I would leave well enough alone given the reality of water intrusion.
If it has, PM me your address and I'll send you another one.
It's doing fine Phil, if you mean that cable. Thanks.
I did the double USB port for a phone and was thinking maybe GPS as well.
That rubber 'waterproof' plug on the GPS has always left me less than confident, but I guess it has been ok.

Paul - I ordered 4 and they all came as Win CE.
However, remembering your experience, I messaged the seller first to be sure that was the case.
I told them if it was not, they would get them back at their expense!

What are the advantages of the CE based over the Android?

The Android version doesn’t work with gloves at all, unless they’re thin and your fingers are sweaty. ;) Also, the Android device is a full blown tablet with the Android OS, so you can download apps from the Google store. I think it runs KitKat, but is pretty slow as far as tablets go these days. I still use it, but have a Garmin as a second GPS. I’ve got two rally’s this spring, so I think I’m going to buy myself a new WinCE version as a post-Christmas present to myself. :)

My Chinavasion GPS has been powered from my fuseblock with the Chinavasion power cord pictured.
No idea what the fat cylinder shaped thing is inline.
My question is can I power it using a standard USB cable (no cylinder shaped thing inline), as I've just added a USB outlet to the bike

DSCF0002 (2).JPG
The supplied power cord on mine got to be intermittent. The Scrambler has a USB port under the seat so I got a USB cord long enough to reach. I put the GPS into the tray and the pop open the flap and plug in. Works fine. Would be a good backup.

I didn't know about this option. A couple questions - does it come with maps for North America? Where do you get the map updates from? Does it mount on a RAM ball? Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom