Don't buy from Chaparral Motorsports

I have been spoiled by luck, then. The last two tires I have purchased for the ST were both within one year of the manufacture date when mounted. I take it that is not common? That's kind of where my baseline got set...

I haven't ordered tons of tires for my motorcycles in the past as I don't ride nearly as much as most of you, but as I've said before I will pass on a tire that's more than 2 years old. Just my choice. I always mention that too, either in the notes on my online order or when speaking to the salesman at their store. Usually the range is between 8 and 15 months old. If I were riding often and wore them out in 2-5 years like most riders, then age of manufacturer wouldn't matter. To each their own with tires but with oil..... I use Amsoil. :)

I guess I am living on the edge. I don't even bother to check the manufacture date. I buy them, put them on, wear them out. Rinse and repeat.
About 250,000 miles and so far, so good.
amen brother, I've been known to ride on tires I've never checked for age, while wearing a helmet that's 6 years old. Good thing I always have a few drinks before I ride, or the anxiety would kill me.

amen brother, I've been known to ride on tires I've never checked for age, while wearing a helmet that's 6 years old. Good thing I always have a few drinks before I ride, or the anxiety would kill me.
And I bet you run with scissors too on occasion .... :biggrin:

My 09 VStar with the original tires and five and half k doesn't worry me at all - fourteen [?] year old tires; but I won't be hitting them too hard, All in all, I don't think I'd want to pay full freight on a '19 coded tire, I mean if it was discounted ok, but, you should expect if you're paying full freight to get a tire with a manufacture date within a year.

A rear only lasts a season... even less in a good year. Fronts always last longer but never more than a season and a half. I've never worried too much about the dates on the tires. I will refuse one that is looking dry and has any cracks though.

I checked the return policy at Chaparal Motorsports. They have a no-hassle return policy.

The OP should have just returned the tire (although unnecessary) and ordered from elsewhere instead of bad-mouthing the company.

And if the OP has changed his mind, maybe he can get the thread title changed.

I guess I am living on the edge. I don't even bother to check the manufacture date. I buy them, put them on, wear them out. Rinse and repeat.
About 250,000 miles and so far, so good.
Amen, brother! As long as there is no visible weather checking ( small cracks ) in the sidewalls and/or in between the tread. I know I am stating the obvious for most of us. Hell, once I pulled an 8" screw out of my brand new rear tire of my FJR. Plugged the hole and ran her down to the cords w/o a problem. Jevers

you mean alec ??
Leave Baldwin out of this. He's got enough trouble on his plate.

Chaparral could do more in the name of customer service short of sending a newer tire on their time. I disagree they should do more. The customer is not always right and shouldn't be mollified for a baseless arbitrarily perceived slight. A polite "I'm very sorry but we will be unable to honor your request/demand/what have you".

Sure there's no harm in asking for a swap but to take umbrage when the request is turned down is unreasonable – as is expecting a large body of riders to boycott the business for — no substantial reason but a fit of pique.

Last edited:
When you buy milk, do you want the freshest milk, or one that expires within a week?

When you buy apples, do you pick the smoothest, shiny ones with no bruises, or pick the ones that are "kind of fresh"?

Unfortunately, that's not what happened here. In the produce example, the consumer is making the selection decision. With the tire topic, the buyer subrogated the selection decision to the kid working in the warehouse.

I think the take away is, if you have a prerequisite to your purchase, it needs to be communicated to the vendor. Most now have 800 numbers to call, or a "Comments" section of the order screen.

Chaparral could do more in the name of customer service ...
Not really. The only way you can get a tire that Chaparral has actually put a hand on is if you, as the CUSTOMER, walk into their brick and mortar store in San Bernardino Ca. If you deal with ANY mail order discount house for your tires you HAVE to accept the fact that they are going to be drop shipped from a distributor.

Chapmoto does what they can to keep the cheap internet shopping customer happy; but expecting the impossible on the cheap is a bit over the top.

Tom

I've bought lots of things from them, can't say anything negative about them. Great when I needed to return an item and never had a problem with their tires being too old. Too badmouth a company just because you didn't get your way is very childish to me. Tire was within serviceable standards just because you don't think so is no reason to try to turn the world against them. Buy local so you can pick your tire if it's that much of a problem.

That is a badly written article with contradictory statements that creates more confusion rather than setting the record straight in my opinion. Below is an example.

First it states;
In fact, most tire companies put the "sell by" date somewhere out around five years from the date of manufacture. So unless you don't expect to wear the tire out within five years from the date that's stamped on the sidewall, don't sweat it.
The first part of this statement states that In fact, most tire companies put the "sell by" date somewhere out around five years from the date of manufacture.
This suggests that the manufacturer's recommendation is that the tire can safely be sold up to five years from the date of manufacture, nothing to do what its calendar life expectancy is.
Presumably a manufacturer of tires fully understands that anyone purchasing their tire up to five years from when they manufactured it is doing so with the intention of mounting and using it until it is worn to limits, otherwise why would they buy it in the first place. This implies that it is perfectly safe to use after it is five years from the date of manufacture.

The second part states;
So unless you don't expect to wear the tire out within five years from the date that's stamped on the sidewall, don't sweat it.
They just wrote that the five years is a sell by date, not a replace by date. Now they are saying as long as you replace it within five years from the date of manufacture, don't sweat it.
Which is it, a five year window where it can be in storage before being sold, or a five year window during which it is safe to use and after which it must be replaced?

In the very next paragraph it states;
Again, most tire manufacturers advise replacing a tire after it's around five years old.
Using Again implies that they are repeating what they already wrote, but they never wrote that a tire needs to be replaced at five years. They clearly stated that the manufacturers recommend a sell by date of five years, not a replace by date.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom