New to me 2010 ST1300

Hello
Purchased this bike a couple of weeks ago in Sioux Falls, South Dakota with 22000 miles on it. I've put around 300 miles on it so far in our nice 30 degree weather. So far I've changed out the plugs, installed new tires with 90 degree valve stems, checked the air filter, changed the oil. The rear brake was dragging pretty bad, so I changed out the brake fluid and have bleed them twice now per directions I found on the web and different sights, there better but I do believe there still dragging, Also changed and bled the Clutch fluid. Still have more to do, but the brakes are first on the list, maybe need some advice on what to do with them. Fuel mileage is around 25 mpg. Temp gauge is at 3 bars and stays there.
IMG_20230311_160844591_HDR.jpg

It sounds like your SMC is going bad. If the brake fluid was not changed regularly, this is the probable cause.

I should have said more about the SMC, above. This caliper, on the front left fork leg, grabs the disk when the front brake is applied. The SMC rocks back a few mm applying hydraulic pressure to the rear disk. If the tiny passages corrode shut or are clogged with gelled brake fluid, your rear wheel can lock up because the fluid cannot go forward to release the piston in the rear caliper. You should not ride the bike until this is fixed! There are quite a few threads on this subject. Go to the blue band atop this page, right end, and do a search for SMC or secondary master cylinder. There are also other articles (blue band >Articles >ST1300 then scroll down the titles) on the linked braking system and the SMC. Trying to rebuild this (if it is indeed your problem) rarely works. Before you start working, you need to test it - give the rear wheel a spin. It should turn 1 to 2 times. If not, you could try bleeding some brake fluid from the rear caliper to release the piston. If this works, then your SMC is not releasing. (I believe it is the rear bleed nipple - but I'm not sure - never had this problem.) There are, of course, other things that will cause drag on the rear wheel.

Read this, too:

The best tool you can buy for your bike is the Honda Service Manual.

Edit: If you ride with the brake dragging, you can overheat and damage the disk and caliper. We have not seen this often, but there have been thread(s) about this.

I should have said more about the SMC, above. This caliper, on the front left fork leg, grabs the disk when the front brake is applied. The SMC rocks back a few mm applying hydraulic pressure to the rear disk. If the tiny passages corrode shut or are clogged with gelled brake fluid, your rear wheel can lock up because the fluid cannot go forward to release the piston in the rear caliper. You should not ride the bike until this is fixed! There are quite a few threads on this subject. Go to the blue band atop this page, right end, and do a search for SMC or secondary master cylinder. There are also other articles (blue band >Articles >ST1300 then scroll down the titles) on the linked braking system and the SMC. Trying to rebuild this (if it is indeed your problem) rarely works. Before you start working, you need to test it - give the rear wheel a spin. It should turn 1 to 2 times. If not, you could try bleeding some brake fluid from the rear caliper to release the piston. If this works, then your SMC is not releasing. (I believe it is the rear bleed nipple - but I'm not sure - never had this problem.) There are, of course, other things that will cause drag on the rear wheel.

Read this, too:

The best tool you can buy for your bike is the Honda Service Manual.

Edit: If you ride with the brake dragging, you can overheat and damage the disk and caliper. We have not seen this often, but there have been thread(s) about this.
I can turn the rear wheel with my foot and push up on the SMC and it will stop the wheel, and then release it when I let it go. I can get 1-1/4 turns on the rear wheel when I give it a spin with my foot. The first owner of this bike kept records and at 16000 miles it says all fluids changed by the Honda dealer he got it from, doesn't specify if the brake fluids were done, but the fluid wasn't that dirty. It may just be a piston hanging up, I'll try the cleaning the pistons first and see if that works, if not I'll replace the SMC. Thanks for the info.

I can turn the rear wheel with my foot and push up on the SMC and it will stop the wheel, and then release it when I let it go. I can get 1-1/4 turns on the rear wheel when I give it a spin with my foot. The first owner of this bike kept records and at 16000 miles it says all fluids changed by the Honda dealer he got it from, doesn't specify if the brake fluids were done, but the fluid wasn't that dirty. It may just be a piston hanging up, I'll try the cleaning the pistons first and see if that works, if not I'll replace the SMC. Thanks for the info.
I forgot to add that the second owner didn't ride this bike much and it sat for who knows how long.

^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^
I wonder if we (or Larry himself) can even count the folks (much less the hours!) he has helped with this.
Including Yours Truly.
There's also a certified guru on the other side of the country, and one across the sea.
But I'll let them volunteer themselves.

I forgot to add that the second owner didn't ride this bike much and it sat for who knows how long.
All the more reason to read the articles I sent you in post #2 and 4, then PM Larry w/ your phone number. Hover the cursor over his name (Igofar), click on start conversation, and send him your contact info. He will call you back. Plan on a long conversation - say an hour or so. If your time is restricted, tell him when you are free. Not much better than this for fixing your bike.

second owner didn't ride this bike much and it sat for who knows how long.

Congrats on your new to you ride and welcome to this site from Eastern Ontario:canflag1:

My initial reaction to reading your first post was “hmmm I wonder how long that bike sat”. Change you SMC and get some peace of mind. Call Larry @Igofar, he will walk you through it.

Good luck and safe riding!

Thank you to everyone for your replies and info. I have sent my contact info to @Igofar. I thought that I looked this bike over pretty good, but when you don't know anything about this brake system you miss things. Wasn't able to test ride it due to snow pack on the streets. Previous owner didn't mention anything about the brakes, said every thing was great. We will get it sorted out and fixed and just go forward from there, the bike will get the proper maintainable as long as I own it.
Again
Thank You.

Congrats on your :bk13:, once you get the bugs out, you'll love it! :hat3:

These bikes have a few Hidden maintenance issues. And for bikes that have sat for awhile, they need to be worked out. DAMHIK! :rolleyes:

I have been resurrecting one of my ST1300s that has been sitting since 2015.

The 2004, never-ending Project

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for your replies and info. I have sent my contact info to @Igofar. I thought that I looked this bike over pretty good, but when you don't know anything about this brake system you miss things. Wasn't able to test ride it due to snow pack on the streets. Previous owner didn't mention anything about the brakes, said every thing was great. We will get it sorted out and fixed and just go forward from there, the bike will get the proper maintainable as long as I own it.
Again
Thank You.
Once we get your bike sorted out your gonna love it.

Update: Looked the brake system over a couple of times following all the info and pictures that I Received from @Igofar, ended up putting a new SMC on it and it is working flawlessly. I didn't Just want to throw parts at it as I like to know just what is causing the issue. Also did up the rear Suspension per Igofar (Larry's) instructions and a few other things he talked me through, the bike now almost floats over all the bumps and corners really good. Bike is getting around 42 MPG now, and there is still more to do. Thermostat, 5 way connector and vacuum lines, sync the throttle bodies, change the antifreeze and if you have any suggestions please share. Can I sync the carbs and change the vacuum lines with out pulling the tupperware?

Thank You again Igofar for all your help and everyone else for pointing me in the right direction.

Scott

That was just the first free sample at the playground :rofl1:
Contact me again when your ready for your next homework assignment.
Glad you got your brakes sorted.
Good job.

Back
Top Bottom