Bridgestone 020/021

Basic facts:

I need rubber

I want Bridgestones (because they're cheap and so am I)

I can only get 021 rears and 020 fronts

Anyone do this or have any input?

I can't see why they would not work ok together. I am running an Avon Storm front and Dunlop D205 rear quite alright, so the Bridgestones should be better matched than what I have. This is on an ST11. Even if you are cheap, that is decent rubber you would have.

I am currently running that combination because I only needed a rear tire at this time and haven't noticed any problem. And I'll be going on a 5700 mile trip in 2 weeks, not to worry I believe.
Sonny

I just ordered a rear BT020-F from HandaDirectLine yesterday. They appear to still have these in stock.

I just put 021's on my 05 Saturday and they seem no noisier than the 020's. That is the second ST1300 I've installed the 021's and we feel it is a better tire across the board.

Last edited:
I just swapped out a set of BT021's that were toast at 4,200 miles. The front was badly cupped and deep into the wear bars. The rear wear bars were a hair below flush. This was the worst mileage I've ever gotten out of a set of motorcycle tires in 20-something years of motorcycling.

They had lots of grip (ask GRN about the lack of chicken strips on my bike from that ride behind Carl_T), but they did not make the bike feel planted to the road. It's tough to make consistent steering inputs. The bike got all wiggly on interstates (where I admittedly spend little time) especially with the top box on. Never had that problem before. Even moderate crosswinds got things unsettled. This past weekend in New Hampshire and Maine it was tough to keep the bike pointed where I wanted it to go, even on the nice smooth sweepers on RT16.

Sunday morning as I packed to head home, I gave my bike a once-over and was amazed at how trashed the tires were with under 3,800 miles on them -- especially since I had better than 400 miles to get home. In turns, these tires thumped from the cupping and howled as much as the Pilot Roads I've been running for the past 16,000 miles. EDIT: Two sets of PR's over those 16,000 miles.

There is no "F" designation to choose with 021's, unlike 020's. That makes me wonder if the ST is too heavy for them...that could explain why they got eaten alive.

Long story short, I cannot recommend BT021's on the ST1300. Based on my experience I would advise against it.

On Monday I put a new set of PR's on and took the long way home from Monte's. All the handling issues are resolved. The bike feels planted. Steering inputs are linear and predictable.

Yee-hah, let's go to ONSTOC. :headbang:

Last edited:
Just an idea for you..Dave at
http://motorace.com/

can send you to your house a set of Michelin Pilot Roads for 229.00 complete..no tax..no delivery fee..just installed them on mine an think they are much better than the factory dunlops..:)

Low tire pressures may be the cause for quick deterioration and cupping on the 021's. I noticed my front 021 cupping and the pressure read 30 (need to check more frequently)!

I have approx 8,000 miles on my 021's and the rear looks to have significant life left.

I experimented with lower pressure (38 psi) for one Sunday morning breakfast ride of about 200 miles to see if it would address the unsettled feel. It didn't so I went back to 42 psi. Congrats on getting 8k miles with tread remaining...I'd need two sets of 021's to do that!

My 021's were put on in July and went for 6500 kms (4000 mi) in 10 days, significant twisties, but lots of straight road. Holding up well, showing some sign of squaring in the center. I expect they will go over 10,000 mi, with the front going first (as did the original 020's). The only thing I don't like is the noise from the front tire over coarser pavement due to the tread pattern. I chose them (guessing) they will last longer than some of the other choices. Although I may try something else next time.

-OEM 020's lasted 9,200 miles (front and rear)
-021 front has 4,000 miles on it and is about 1/16" from the wear indicator. No way is it going to last as long as the OEM tire.
-021 rear was holding up better than the front, but I had to replace it due to a nail. I replaced it with another 021.

Looks as if the Conti Road Attacks or Pilot Road II's are in my future. If they don't handle as well as the OEM's, or don't have 9,000 miles or better tread life, I will revert to the OEM 020's.

I'm on my 3rd set of OEM BT020F. Replaced the the rear with 16,000 due to a glass cut flat while on a trip doing the Natchez Trace. Probably had 2K more left. Did the front with 15000 as the tread gage measured 1.5 MM, at which Honda recommends replacement. Have always used 42 psi front and back. The BT020F have more tread and a different belt construction than a normal BT020. Don't know if the 21s' are built as well, but will use the the OEMs as long as they are available. My bike is an '03 with with 49000 miles and came with Dunlop 220's. Tried MEZ 6's, but was lucky to get 6000 on them.

I ran a set of BT020 to 18000 kms. I replaced them with the BT021, as some have already said: A bit noisier in the front, but much more stable on tar snakes than the previous BT020, good grip all around, wet or dry, give a smooth ride (I run 42psi at both ends). I'm pretty sure the millage will be comparable to the BT020, but time will tell.

Great tires for the $$$ ;-).

Well, since my last post in August, I now have 9,000 kms (5400 miles) on the 021's and took it in for certification today (yep, sold it). I hadn't looked closely at the tires because I assumed they were still OK. The front was worn out the absolute bare minimum legal limit and needs replacing. Wow. I didn't think my trips in the twisties this summer were overly agressive......... The rear looks good, lots of tread left. I ran 42/42 psi., but the front would make you think I ran it underinflated.

I wish I had done just that....just put two 21's on and they feel good but am disappointed that they are louder that the 20's. Put the back 21 on first and did not notice a difference, but 100 miles later the front one is a bit annoying compared to the OEM 20s that I got 12K miles on...

I say go for it....

I'm with GRN on this issue.

Mine were great to start and somewhere around 2K I started have mid-corner issues and then the front cupped horribly (The rear does not look much better) and the overall feel and comfort of the ride sucked.

I switched to the new Avon Storms and immediately feel like I have a much better handling package.

I've got 8K miles on my 021s and like them far more than the 020s. I've got plenty of rubber left (even in the center which is where I wear them out :( ). I run 42psi f/r and while I like them and believe I've got another 3-4K on them I'm looking for a somewhat softer/stickier tire.

I got mine from swmototire for $240 delivered and paid another $100 for installation and balancing.

Back
Top Bottom