Glacier Point at Dawn

Scarman

Not all pain is gain
Bike
FJR1300
A group of us over on Pashnit decided to do ride up to Glacier Point in Yosemite. The goal was to be up at Glacier Point at Dawn so with civil sunrise at 5:05 AM it meant a very early departure. To meet the goal of Glacier Point at sunrise, I had to leave my house at 2:30 AM.

We had a good group of riders ride in various areas to join in on the fun. Mike (Thisisme) and Mark (29PalmsMark) were on the ride so we had 3 ST1300s on the ride. I think we had 10 riders in all.

We left Clovis Saturday morning at 2:30 am and made it to Glacier Point by 5:00 AM. When you're up in Yosemite that early... imagine Yosemite with no cars and no tour buses.

So... here's a few pics from the Dawner Party this past Saturday:

I jumped off the bike as soon as we parked at Glacier Point and grabbed this shot. Although hard to tell in this pic, it was almost pitch black dark. The sky was just starting to light up.

IMG_0028.jpg

As I was wandering over to the valley overlook, I found myself in the middle of about six deer. Some were within arms reach but the light was so low I couldn't get a picture without using a flash. I wasn't going to see what deer do when a camera flash goes off in their eyes. Later the deer moved off towards the canyon edge and into my shot. I was actually so focused on the background that I hadn't noticed the deer wandered into my shot.

IMG_0032.jpg

Just as the sun started to break over the valley rim. The background light was becoming very intense making it very difficult to balance the lighting. I didn't bring a graduated ND filter to control the lighting but the results weren't bad at all. The air was unbelievably crisp and freshly pine scented. Something you can only experience that early in the morning.

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

On our way down from Glacier riding over to Evergreen for breakfast, we grab some action shots. Someone took this pic of me & my wife Jen.

scarman&jen.jpg

That's some great pictures Scarman. One day I hope to make to there. Almost looks like the begining from the movie 2001.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scarman

Scarman

Not all pain is gain
Bike
FJR1300
We stopped in Evergreen for breakfast and while everyone was inside getting their fill I went outside for a few more pics.

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

OP
OP
Scarman

Scarman

Not all pain is gain
Bike
FJR1300
After everyone had their fill, it was off to Hetch Hetchy. By the time we reached Hetch Hetchy, it was starting to warm up. I'm sure the water was much too cool to swim (aside from the fact that swimming is prohibited) a cool dip in the water had crossed my mind.

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

The gang's all here except for me cause someone had to take the picture. We were making plans to head out of the park before the tourists and the heat became too much.

IMG_0208.jpg

It was such a great ride, I thought I would share a bit of it with you. I was really tired but well worth the effort and a ride that I'll most certainly do again.

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Beautiful pics from Glacier Point! I love that place you captured it nicely.

The other pics are nice too. Looks like a great trip ya'll had.

STPilot

Timmah !!
Nice report as usual Dave!! I havent talked to you in a while, I see you got another RED ST... I thought you wanted a fast one...:p: ;)

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Memories!
I was there in the 50's (as a kid) all the time.
Ice skating at Glacier (not me, my sisters and mom) and then we'd watch them push the fire fall off the cliff (might not have been the same trip this was a *long* time ago!).
Sitting at a ranger talk in the valley and watching the fire fall from down there... walking back to camp with flashlights (which made it so you could *only* see where the light was shining! :) ) We'd camp for 2 weeks each summer and hike all the hikes and play in the rivers.

Great pictures,
Thanks,
Mark

OP
OP
Scarman

Scarman

Not all pain is gain
Bike
FJR1300
Nice report as usual Dave!! I havent talked to you in a while, I see you got another RED ST... I thought you wanted a fast one...:p: ;)
Hey Tim! Good to see you posting and looks like you've added a Busa to your stable. I'd love to add a Busa to my garage.

Dave

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Great pics thanks for adding more things to the 'list of places to ride' in my head.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Scarman,

Would your new ...ahh.. 'look' be a result of that accident you had...
Or is it a result of some other cosmetic surgery that went awry?

Inquiring minds...
:)

Mark

Attachments

OP
OP
Scarman

Scarman

Not all pain is gain
Bike
FJR1300
As seen through the eyes of my kids. :D

Actually just playing around with Adobe Elements one night.

Scarman,

Would your new ...ahh.. 'look' be a result of that accident you had...
Or is it a result of some other cosmetic surgery that went awry?

Inquiring minds...
:)

Mark

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
Great pics all around. A nice mix of nature and technology.

With both feet over the edge, I had lunch on Half Dome some forty years ago, looking down a mile. :eek:

Styles

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Great pics thanks for adding more things to the 'list of places to ride' in my head.
Mellow - trust me on this - I don't believe a more beautiful view exists than Glacier Point in the early summer.

Well, OK, maybe not that last one! :)

- Jim :04biker:

Top Bottom