LED Bulbs

Joined
Dec 4, 2020
Messages
1
Age
75
Location
San Juan Capistrano, Ca.
Has anyone used the LED headlight bulbs from AliExpress? Wiht what results? Also, I am looking for a LED brake bulb that flashes a dew times and then turns solid. Any brands? This is for a 2007 ST1300A. Thanks in advance.
 
I have both in my St and they work very well ,had to trim the ears off the H4 but very easy to install and super bright .
 
Has anyone used the LED headlight bulbs from AliExpress? Wiht what results? Also, I am looking for a LED brake bulb that flashes a dew times and then turns solid. Any brands? This is for a 2007 ST1300A. Thanks in advance.
I added the Admore light bar. It flashes a few times and is quite bright.
 
I got one of these from amazon, it replaces the rectangular reflector that most bikes have on the tail/mudflap area:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DJ2YMPK?ref_=ppx_hzsearch_conn_dt_b_fed_asin_title_31

and I wired it to one of these:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NYQQYY4?ref_=ppx_hzsearch_conn_dt_b_fed_asin_title_31&th=1

So the brake light works the same, but this secondary one does the flashing. It doesn't look out of place either as it is in place of an existing reflector. It's likely not as bright as the Admore light bar, but it's still extra lighting.
 
I got one of these from amazon, it replaces the rectangular reflector that most bikes have on the tail/mudflap area:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DJ2YMPK?ref_=ppx_hzsearch_conn_dt_b_fed_asin_title_31

and I wired it to one of these:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NYQQYY4?ref_=ppx_hzsearch_conn_dt_b_fed_asin_title_31&th=1

So the brake light works the same, but this secondary one does the flashing. It doesn't look out of place either as it is in place of an existing reflector. It's likely not as bright as the Admore light bar, but it's still extra lighting.
Where did you connect it on the bike? I've got a top box with built in LEDs I want to connect to the brake circuit.
 
Fits well. When I got them out of the package I thought they looked cheap, but then I reminded myself, they're replacing a reflector that also looks cheap. The fit is spot on for that space though. I attached a couple photos, though the brake light didn't really show well (it's the bottom one where it looks like the lights are off that the brake lights are actually on. The st is backed into the corner of my garage and hasn't come out to play yet this year - I've been favouring dirt roads with the crosstourer this season.

I tapped into the wires that go to the tail light. If memory serves me, when you take the rear fender off, the brake light wires stick out the back of it and you can tap into them there. I did this a few years ago and can't recall exactly. And, as it turns out, I put the strobe device on a whole other bike that I sold last year. Same light though.
 

Attachments

  • 1786072785791.png
    1786072785791.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
I've got Hyperlites and a Whelan light bar. My video won't load. Says it's too large. That's just the light bar. The Hyperlites are beside it. I took them off of my ST and put them on this Yamaha.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20251120_171742716_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20251120_171742716_HDR.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 14
though the brake light didn't really show well
Is that referring to the pic or to actual viewing?

I'm not a fan of getting too trick with the factory tail/brake lights. A couple people though have swapped out the tail/brake lights for the flashing > solid LEDs and haven't reported any problems.

I prefer your setup — a third (secondary) discrete brake light only that's separate from the factory brake lights. It's called a CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Light) by our DOT. It's factory kit on cars and obviously not required for bikes. But it's been shown to reduce rear end collisions.

A small 3 LED EMS strobe replaced my reflector. Downsides — it's really bright and doesn't flash 4 times and then go 'solid' as CA (Calif) requires. I've no occasion to do much night riding so it's not too much of a problem. But I'm careful because my strobe isn't legal and could earn me a scratch from law enforcement.

The GS-100A isn't strictly legal in CA (Calif) but close enough that it shouldn't draw any IRE from LEO or other drivers67. I've got a 3-wire version that I need to get to mounting on my car's CHMSL.

And of course I'd be remiss if I didn't make the pedantically obvious disclaimer that no add-on light gizmo can guarantee you won't be the victim of a fiery death blah blah...
 
That was referring to the photo. The light itself is about as bright as the OEM brake light.

I don't like things that stand out as obvious mods either. I started looking for options after going through some bad weather on a week long trip when one of my riding buddies told me they were having trouble seeing my brake lights. I put LEDs in the OEM housing and started looking at options to make it more obvious or apparent when my brake lights came on. This thing isn't going to blind anyone, but it achieves a little more of that 3rd brake light effect we get on our cars.
 
For the brake light, one of the most effective and least expensive solutions I've found is this one.

Custom Dynamics LB01 LED Light Bar (Red Knight Riderz with Running Light and Brake Light Functions)​


Back before custom programming was the cool thing to do, Custom Dynamics came out with this. It offers several different lighting options that will do just what you want...for $35.

I mounted one on two of my bikes under the top box rack. As a shade tree mechanic, I took an easy route. I took a black plastic bottle I had...maybe an old oil bottle? Cut the corner out to make an "L" shaped bracket from it and mounted it. Worked great. Looked good.

Chris
 
I don't like things that stand out as obvious mods either.
Same. My strobe is pretty bright but when not activated it looks pretty much like the reflector. Not very noticeable under the rack. It's footprint is exactly that of the "pad" for the reflector.

I also have a dedicated brake light built into the black plastic 'pad' that's part of the rack like this one:


A former member built them and sold a few on ebay. I've got a GS–100A flasher that I have to get 'round to installing. It too is brighter than it looks in the video.
 
...... one of my riding buddies told me they were having trouble seeing my brake lights. I put LEDs in the OEM housing and started looking at options to make it more obvious or apparent when my brake lights came on.
Not stating that this is the case with you, I'm just taking this opportunity to point out something that I have seen done often that makes things worse. I have often seen where people have installed an LED bulb in an OEM tail light housing that is designed for an incandescent bulb. Often the LED bulbs are much brighter. The problem that this creates is that, because the running light is so bright, the contrast between the running light and the brake light is now almost indistinguishable. They have created a situation where they now have a brighter tail light but in the process have made their brake light less noticeable. I do not see this as a good trade off.
 
Back
Top Bottom