St1300 luggage

Joined
Jun 17, 2026
Messages
3
Age
66
Location
United States
Bike
2010 st1300
Hello. I'm going on a 21 day trip in Oct and looking for suggestions for luggage / bag that will fit on passenger seat in front of top case that may also give some back support. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
 
Your standard duffle bag, strapped down. Not many are waterproof in an extended rain, so you can pack your clothes and stuff in heavy duty contractor garbage bags and put those inside the duffle. Or you could get a dry bag, but the larger sizes can be expensive if you are not going to use it a lot.
 
I was thinking a mid-sized dry bag that rolls up (as used by canoeists / kayakers), but it's true the better ones are not usually bargain priced.
Put tent / sleeping bag in there for soft back support.
I'm thinking a 21-day trip HAS to include at least some camping.
But I'm frequently wrong, so...
 
Items in the bag will definitely dictate the back rest part. I tend to pack mine so the tent is facing me as opposed to the axe and tent poles. The forty liter bags are over generous if you have done this a lot. The 60L is too small if you’re doing it for the first time. On my ST the 60 blocked my mirrors. I scaled down until I was at a 25L and packed it a few times until it was a comfy back rest, or get a Grasshopper backrest.
 
Not for on top of your seat luggage, but they make polyester bags to go inside the saddlebags.
I have an extra set of the Hondaline ones and the Bessem ones, PM me if your interested.
 

Attachments

  • s-l960.webp
    s-l960.webp
    130.7 KB · Views: 4
  • s-l140 (2).webp
    s-l140 (2).webp
    4.8 KB · Views: 3
  • s-l140 (1).webp
    s-l140 (1).webp
    3.7 KB · Views: 4
  • s-l140.webp
    s-l140.webp
    4.2 KB · Views: 4
  • s-l1600.webp
    s-l1600.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 4
A bit more information is in order.
Camping or hotels?
Do you have a topbox?

A bit of a tip.....don't try to pack enough clothing to last 3 weeks without laundry. Merino wool base layers and socks will cut your needs to less than half. It is not a fashion show. If anyone sees you in the same clothes the next day or so? so what!
No matter how much you pack, you will tell yourself, when you get home, "well I need to take less"!
 
bag that will fit on passenger seat in front of top case that may also give some back support.

Ah, miss more for not looking than not knowing. sorry.
I have trouble seeing the requirement for a bag and a top box (unless camping) but I guess everyone has their own idea of "how much is enough".
I have a bag that accomplishes both duties and allows me to take the top box off and just use it. It is literally the Swiss Army Knife of bags. Unfortunately, I don't think they make it any more (maybe ebay?). When I use it, I mount it on the pillon seat. Keeps the weight lower and more forward as compared to a top box and acts as a backrest. It frees up the panniers for tools, rains suit, lunch, water, etc. leaving lots of room if needed for things acquired on the trip. It could be configured to use with a topbox if needed.
https://ridermagazine.com/2008/07/10/marsee-50-liter-zipp-motorcycle-bag-review/

1786458375591.png
1786458953173.png
 
I'm thinking a 21-day trip HAS to include at least some camping.
But I'm frequently wrong, so...

Nope, camping is reserved for sidecar rallies where every one else is camping. Recent three week trip to the Baltic States, two up and we still came back with nearly half our clothes not used :oops: Picture taken in Slavikai, Lithuania approximately 300 metres from the border with the Russian enclave of Kalingrad. Dirt road for the next 60-70km, and I hate gravel/sand with a vengance :(

DSC_0205.JPGDSC_0206.JPG
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't get one that requires a rain cover, try pulling over on a long stretch of road, wind gusts and rain coming out of nowhere. Nowhere to pull over and then trying to find the cover that got accidently buried. Amazon has some waterproof duffle bags around the $60 mark . The 60l bag is big enough to use as a backrest. Make sure your comfortable with the width of the bag. On my st it slightly blocked the view from the mirrors, don't have that problem with my rt with handle bar mirrors.
1786461271480.pngpick any color

20230523_112551.jpg
 
Last edited:
A bit more information is in order.
Camping or hotels?
Do you have a topbox?

A bit of a tip.....don't try to pack enough clothing to last 3 weeks without laundry. Merino wool base layers and socks will cut your needs to less than half. It is not a fashion show. If anyone sees you in the same clothes the next day or so? so what!
No matter how much you pack, you will tell yourself, when you get home, "well I need to take less"!
Yep. Sorry. I do have a top box. The clothes suggestion is appreciated.
 

I used this in June for 23 days. Rain no problem.
It is sturdy enough to strap to bike from loops on the sides of the bag. That leaves the top clear to open. Saved a lot of time pulling out gear for weather changes.
IMG_1314.png
 
I am very experienced with roll down waterproof duffle bags. Do not waste your money on fancy name brands. Beware of too many buckles and straps, they only get in the way. If you want something to sit on the back seat, add a couple of loops of strapping bolting them to the holes in the frame plate exposed when you remove the battery and fuse covers so you have a place to attach some Roku straps further forward than the passenger bars. Watch out for the size as there are no waterproof duffle bags with wheels that I can find and a bag over 60 liters can get real heavy when you have to drag it upstairs. Then, I am getting too old to be dragging heavy bags around and you are a young man. I have recently been happy with Wild Heart brand duffel bags as they have a very good range of sizes.
 
I have a mostly waterproof LL Bean duffel bag that I bungee/strap to the passenger seat of the bike. Although the bag contents will remain dry in a small rain, if you are riding through heavy or persistent rain, you will need to cover the duffel with a garbage bag or place the contents of the bag inside of a garbage bag. If the contents of the bag are soft, you can effectively shape the bag to your back. Given the size of rolling duffel bags I would not suggest using that type of bag on your passenger seat unless it’s fairly small. The metal frame in a rolling duffel will not feel comfortable against your back and its rigidity and wheels will make tying it down difficult. Remember to adjust your suspension to compensate for the additional weight.
 
Back
Top Bottom