Road Smart FAILURE

STOC #
You should expect more than 2000 miles out of a tire, I am not saying you are wrong about feeling that way and I personally don't use Dunlops for the reason that they simply don't last long enough for my riding style.

When installed on a bike that is well maintained (ie, tire pressures are checked regularly), there's no valid reason for a tire from an A List manufacturer that is marketed to touring bikes to be not only trashed after 3,000 miles, but to also have massive separation like so many folks have been posting about. I could see and maybe understand if this was from some low dollar off brand tire, or a high performance race tire, but on a touring tire from Dunlop? No, it's not acceptable.

I have friends who work in the automotive tire industry, and they won't use or recommend Dunlop either, for the same reasons - accelerated tread wear and separation. When I worked as a service adviser at a car repair facility, I saw the same thing with my own customers. I won't put another Dunlop on anything I drive or ride.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
I have spoken to 2 Dunlop reps in the last two weeks. One on the phone and the other came in to the shop. It's the first thing I hit him with. He got to see some pics and I filled him in on who I have already spoken with.

In both of the closing conversations I put it to them like this..." Dunlop has a problem with these tires, if you don't own up and fix it, it will really impact your business. The first tires that came apart completely shut down my orders for Roadsmarts."

I have forwarded the pics from blackwood and we will see what they say tomorrow.

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I have spoken to 2 Dunlop reps in the last two weeks. One on the phone and the other came in to the shop. It's the first thing I hit him with. He got to see some pics and I filled him in on who I have already spoken with.

In both of the closing conversations I put it to them like this..." Dunlop has a problem with these tires, if you don't own up and fix it, it will really impact your business. The first tires that came apart completely shut down my orders for Roadsmarts."

I have forwarded the pics from blackwood and we will see what they say tomorrow.
Thanks for your support

Bike
2012 Gold Wing
STOC #

Thanks from me as well.

I can send you my failed tire for you to provide Dunlop if you want me to. Or I can ship it directly to Dunlop if that works better. I just need shipping info.

I have posted this already in another thread, but I really didn't expect to see this on the inside:

I just figured the top tread was separated from the carcass. After seeing this I am very glad I didn't attempt to ride the bike home from where the event happened.

Let me know if you want the tire.

Rich

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
I did use the roadsmarts and got 12,000 on the rear before I hit the wear bars. Agreeably I am not a hard rider and mainly slab riding.

But because of post of this type of failure, :eek:4:I have now switched to the pr-2's.

I just do not want to worry about it!!!

Gary
:04biker:

no need to stir further the fury over this dunlop issue by telling my story too...but i agree with all of you... no more dunlops for me, either...used them on vfr's & st's but no more...after the st13 got the original dunlops replaced with bridgestones(specific ones for st13) the dreaded front wobble from 40-60mph gone, etc..could have gotten more mileage out of rear if it had not been a defective out of round...this thread needs to continue & needs to be in front of dunlop!:03biker:

Bike
VTX1800, ST1300
Holy cow another one? Those in the cruiser world call them Dunflops, not just Valk riders like Mellow mentioned. I won't touch Dunlop, on a motorcycle or car. :eek:4:
Coming from the Vstar and VTX family, I agree. We don't ride em. Some do simply because they think OEM tires are "designed" for their bike and that's what they need to ride, ride quality/safety be damned.

Typically we're running Bridgestone, Metz and Avons all w/ no issues.

Bike
VTX1800, ST1300
Thanks from me as well.

I can send you my failed tire for you to provide Dunlop if you want me to. Or I can ship it directly to Dunlop if that works better. I just need shipping info.

I have posted this already in another thread, but I really didn't expect to see this on the inside:

I just figured the top tread was separated from the carcass. After seeing this I am very glad I didn't attempt to ride the bike home from where the event happened.

Let me know if you want the tire.

Rich
I'd have to change my shorts if I found that waiting to greet me. Lucky you weren't hurt if that popped!

Bike
03ST11P,94ST11A
STOC #
Eek, not good.

I just switched Roadsmarts out for PR2's, my front had 17k, rear 13k, both wore evenly and were reliable up to 130mph and 12 hour days.

Based on my personal experience I would buy another set of RS, but this thread changes my mind.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Thanks for the thread. I don't want everyone to beat me up, but I now have Dunlops on all four bikes. The Elite III's work great on the GL, and Q2's are fantastic on the CBR's. I just put a Roadsmart on the rear of the ST to match the Roadsmart on the front.

I'll definitely pay close attention to how the Roadsmarts hold-up, as the ST and the GL both get ridden much the same as the CBR's--that is, very fast.

Gunner

Steve Gunn
I had a front RoadSmart fail on me last weekend. I started feeling vibration in the front and when I stopped to inspect the tire I found it had a split down through the belts. At first I thought I had run over something until I ordered new tires from Two Brothers and discovered the problems other have had with the tire.

Steve

Attachments

ST Dan

2 summers 50k+ miles 48 states
Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
I've tried almost every tire on my STeed but the Dunlops are one manufacturer I've lost faith in and will not try based on what I've seen on this site. Thanks for the additional warning Forest.
my thoughts exactly! I have absolutely no inclination to try any dunlop...

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I had a front RoadSmart fail on me last weekend. I started feeling vibration in the front and when I stopped to inspect the tire I found it had a split down through the belts. At first I thought I had run over something until I ordered new tires from Two Brothers and discovered the problems other have had with the tire.

Steve
Almost sounds like there are more RS failures just within the small Stoners community than out of control Toyotas.

Wondering if the story would get more "traction" if Goodyear/Dunlop was a foreign Co and the story could be used to the benefit of US manufacturers...

Was debating going on a trip on late life RSs.....no more. Thanks for the warning.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, for Toyota, it was 'something new'... for Dunlop it appears to be standard operating procedures.

Top Bottom