Cooling System Question Update

Here are a couple pictures of my T-stat I just removed. This is what you call a really" stuck open one." Does anyone have an idea what the strange little curled piece of metal might be? I thought maybe a spring from the radiator cap but I don't think so after looking at it.

Attachments

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Picture #2 looks like the end of the plunger has a piece missing and is beat up, hard to really tell with the angle of the picture, but did it come out that way, could the curly piece of metal come from that, it really doesnt look like a spring, just a piece of metal that was twisted somehow. :biker:

STOC #
That appears to be a curl of aluminum probably from the drilling of a hole during the machining process of the block or head at manufacturing..... hard to believe it made it this far into the game.

Bike
ST1300
Look like a shaved piece of aluminum core to me - You might want to flush the radiator very carefully to ensure there isn't more in the system.

STOC #
Hey, I found one of those curled machining pieces in my 02 VFR! Three years after I bought the bike (new) my wax idle unit had failed. Found metal bits plugging the wax idle unit, *****? So I completely purged the cooling system (removed all lower hoses and inspected the water pump) and found a similar curled piece in the thermostat. The thermostat wasn't stuck but the curled piece was caught in the spring. The small bits were plugging up the coolant passage at the rear of the pictured fast idle wax unit (BTW, the 1300 has one of these too I believe.)

BTW, that bike is running fine after six seasons, doesn't use oil or lose coolant so there was no apparent long term damage.

Attachments

Last edited:
STOC #
Hey, I found one of those curled machining pieces in my 02 VFR! Three years after I bought the bike (new) my wax idle unit had failed. Found metal bits plugging the wax idle unit, *****? So I completely purged the cooling system (removed all lower hoses and inspected the water pump) and found a similar curled piece in the thermostat. The thermostat wasn't stuck but the curled piece was caught in the spring. The small bits were plugging up the coolant passage at the rear of the pictured fast idle wax unit (BTW, the 1300 has one of these too I believe.)

BTW, that bike is running fine after six seasons, doesn't use oil or lose coolant so there was no apparent long term damage.
I wonder how many of those are lodged in your radiator, Paul.

Top Bottom