Piggy Backer XL pull behind trailer

jdaniels

R.I.P. - 2010/08/27
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05ST1300'02FZ1
STOC #
:D My new piggy backer XL trailer.It's 18 cu ft. with 12inch wheels.Works good and tows well.Relays in black box for trailer lighting.Painted top half with krylon "fusion".Heading to FLSTOC in Silver Springs in couple days,will give trailer a trial....:biker: Dec. 13,'07 Just an update on the trailer.We pulled the trailer loaded kinda heavy on our trip to FLSTOC in Silver Springs.The bike/trailer combo worked great in all conditions both fast(110) and in the twisty rides.As for any wobble while following/passing large trucks at higher speeds we did not experience this.I actually felt that the bike was more stable while pulling.The trailer made the trip comfortable allowing for 2 up travel and allowing us to bring plenty of gear we otherwise couldn't have taken with us.We plan to tent camp while doing the U.S.A. 4 corners in the spring and the trailer will make this possible.The only negative is gas milage which drops to around 29-31.This could improve if slower speeds were maintained I'm sure.:D

Attachments

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Nice, there are lots of Wingers that love it and it's a very affordable trailer. I'm curious how the paint will hold up as it's still an option in the future.

OP
OP
jdaniels

jdaniels

R.I.P. - 2010/08/27
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05ST1300'02FZ1
STOC #
No I didn't make the hitch.I bought it from "unigo", but they wanted $110 for the piece the ball attaches to and I didn't think it was worth the price so I made the piece from scrap steel.I cut the threaded shank off and welded the ball on and drilled the 4 holes to mount it to the unigo hitch main bar.I coated the piece I made with epoxy.Maybe it'll not rust so fast.It isn't a real fancy trailer but good enough to haul our junk around and it's inexpensive.They even throw in a spare tire/wheel and complete extra set of wheel bearings. :biker:

OP
OP
jdaniels

jdaniels

R.I.P. - 2010/08/27
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05ST1300'02FZ1
STOC #
Phil,My coupler is just an automotive ball coupler (stationary) and doesn't swivel.I guess anything over about 30 degrees it'll be binding up probably.:biker:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I believe motomac mentioned you can lay your ST on the ground and you'll still have room before it's going to bind. If I remember him correctly.

STOC #
JD would you be interested in giving us an update on your trailer? How do you like it, how does it pull? All that kind of stuff!

TIA,
PB.

OP
OP
jdaniels

jdaniels

R.I.P. - 2010/08/27
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05ST1300'02FZ1
STOC #
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(JD would you be interested in giving us an update on your trailer? How do you like it, how does it pull? All that kind of stuff!)
We've enjoyed the trailer and use it on all our trips.It does reduce the gas mileage a bit but I'm OK with that and it's to be expected I reckon.The trailer pulls without any problems.It will sway just a little if it's empty when behind an 18 wheeler in dirty air but it isn't enough of a sway that you would know about it if you didn't see it in the mirrors.When loaded it is steady and seems to also make the bike more planted and steady.It is 18 cu. ft. and is the right size for us and when 2up it really is a must for our trips.Nearly all my miles are 2up with the trailer so it does get a good bit of use.I see the price on it has increased.Ours was $848 incl. shipping for the XL.I wanted the XL because the torsion suspension is supposed to be better and it's got 12" wheels and the tongue a bit longer than the standard piggybacker although they both are 18 cu. ft.I'm guessing a guy can build one for less if so inclined and get exactly what he wants but this one is perfect for us and the price seemed reasonable enough.We just returned 2 hours ago from my daughters graduation in Gainesville using the trailer and as usual it worked good.

Last edited:
STOC #
Thank you for the info JD. I am pretty sure I'm going to get a trailer, I just can't decide what at this time.

I pretty much have it down to either the Piggy Back or the Monogo. Or I might just say screw it all and get a mini tent trailer.

Thanks again,
PB.

J.D.,
Not to hijack your thread, but I wanted to add to the info being asked about the ST pulling trailer. I just got back from a 3,500 mile round trip out to Arizona. The ST pulled the trailer without any problems. We ran across parts of Texas at 85MPH without any wobble. You actually dont even know its behind you. I have attached some thumbs and also a photo showing everything that we packed in trailer and on bike. We actually kept the side bags empty the whole trip to pack jackets in when not in use. I am more than pleased with the home built trailer. Also, my gas milage averaged about 40.5 miles per gallon, 2 up, pulling trailer.

Attachments

STOC #
Draft1,

Did you build the frame as well? Both trailers are very nice but I've got a carrier that does not get used in the summer... would like to!

J.D.,
Not to hijack your thread, but I wanted to add to the info being asked about the ST pulling trailer. I just got back from a 3,500 mile round trip out to Arizona. The ST pulled the trailer without any problems. We ran across parts of Texas at 85MPH without any wobble. You actually dont even know its behind you. I have attached some thumbs and also a photo showing everything that we packed in trailer and on bike. We actually kept the side bags empty the whole trip to pack jackets in when not in use. I am more than pleased with the home built trailer. Also, my gas milage averaged about 40.5 miles per gallon, 2 up, pulling trailer.

Draft1,

Did you build the frame as well? Both trailers are very nice but I've got a carrier that does not get used in the summer... would like to!
Dalton,
My brother and I built these trailers. We bought the trailer from Harbor Freight and cut them down then added the carrier. It pulls like a dream. There is no discomfort at all pulling this thing. You can read about home built trailers on the Delphi forums http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/messages/?start=Start+Reading+>>

As I said, we went 3,500 miles without a problem. The total cost of the trailer was about $500.00. The trailer frame is about 180.00, carrier 160.00, misc. items such as lights, wiring etc. add up. It can be built in a weekend. There are a few rules you need to know about pulling such as tire air pressure, tonge weight, load placement etc. that is in the above forum. Follow these and you want have any problem. Hope this helps. The piggy backer like J.D. has is also a good choice for reasonble priced trailer if you don't have the mech. skills of building one.

STOC #
Thanks Draft1. I've been lurking at that forum for a few weeks now.

Thanks for the tips!

Dalton,
My brother and I built these trailers. We bought the trailer from Harbor Freight and cut them down then added the carrier. It pulls like a dream. There is no discomfort at all pulling this thing. You can read about home built trailers on the Delphi forums http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/messages/?start=Start+Reading+>>

As I said, we went 3,500 miles without a problem. The total cost of the trailer was about $500.00. The trailer frame is about 180.00, carrier 160.00, misc. items such as lights, wiring etc. add up. It can be built in a weekend. There are a few rules you need to know about pulling such as tire air pressure, tonge weight, load placement etc. that is in the above forum. Follow these and you want have any problem. Hope this helps. The piggy backer like J.D. has is also a good choice for reasonble priced trailer if you don't have the mech. skills of building one.

JD, saw your posts concerning the piggybacker you have/had. Question is where you got the lights that you installed in the back of the lid? Lack of same is what concerns me about driving at night, and yours seem to have solved this situation.

Regards,
Hogman:confused:

Top Bottom