Cortech "mini" or "super mini"

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I have read a lot of threads on tank bags and was just wondering what everyone's take with these two bags are. Will the "mini" fit with no problems or does it touch the handlebars?

I'm basically looking for a bag toi make into an electric tankbag to store my Starcom, GPS, cellphone, and Sirius radio.

Suggestions appreciated...

Ken

Bike
2009 Goldwing
STOC #
I bought and used the Cortech Super Mini last year. It is plenty big enough to hold all my normal electronics (smartphone, iPod, GPS, digital camera) as well other trip stuff (snacks, aspirin, wallet, etc), but is small enough that it doesn't interfere with steering. I'm very pleased with it and have no need or intention of buying a larger bag at this point. Good luck and happy shopping! :03biker:

STOC #
Magnetic tankbags and credit cards, etc...

Not a full blown hijack, but..........

Has anyone had problems with magnetic tankbags and credit cards, SIMM cards in cell phones, etc...???

Allways been a bit leary of putting my wallet in one.........

STOC #
Buckeye Rich said:
Rob,

Didn't you make yours into an "electric tankbag"? IF so, do you have any pics?
Yep - I need to post a few snapshots.

It turned out pretty well. I installed a bulkhead style SAE connector in the front of the bag where the Cortech wire pass-through was already located (DSCF0001.JPG & DSCF0002.JPG). I use an old Gerbings harness to feed that from the battery. On the inside surface, I have a plastic plate that the bulkhead connector screws mount to. The wires extend through it and connect to a terminal strip that I surface mounted to the plastic (DSCF0003.JPG). My Gerbings portable controller clips to the side of the bag (DSCF0001.JPG) and the power wire of the controller routes through the bottom of the bag to the terminal strip. The Garmin power wires go through the same hole in the bag bottom (DSCF0005.JPG). It'll be pretty clean inside the tank bag after I get all the wires trimmed up (I keep them their full length until I'm really sure). You can unplug the power feed and the GPS, put everything in the tank bag then put it in the saddlebag. I have a number of additional connection points on the terminal strip that are open, but I'm not sure what else I'd hook up beyond a phone charger. I did the helmet headset thing on my GL1800 but I don't think I'll ever use an Ipod or other music gadget. I really like the solitude on my ST. I wear earplugs all the time anyway. It makes for good mental health time. It's really the only time I get to clear my head.

Once I get the Honey-Do list taken care of tomorrow I'll try to get a few shots posted.

1-24-06 Update

Weekend projects took longer than expected, but here are some shots of the preliminary setup. See references to the shots above.

Last edited:

Medicine Bear

R.I.P. - 2010/11/14
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Daryl said:
Not a full blown hijack, but..........

Has anyone had problems with magnetic tankbags and credit cards, SIMM cards in cell phones, etc...???

Allways been a bit leary of putting my wallet in one.........
Cortech (I have the Super Mini) says the magnets are shielded. I haven't had any problems with my credit cards, iPod, or CF card in my camera.

Fred :03biker:

Ken

Bike
2009 Goldwing
STOC #
Medicine Bear said:
Cortech (I have the Super Mini) says the magnets are shielded. I haven't had any problems with my credit cards, iPod, or CF card in my camera.

Fred :03biker:
+1 No problem here either.

STOC #
bagged

Whether either will fit without touching your bars may depend on whether or not you have risers. I have the Heli Riser Plate. I tried the Super Mini and it didn't touch. However, the Super Mini couldn't hold all my stuff which includes two bottles of water. I ended up getting a medium size Marsee that I am quite happy with. It sits pretty far back on the tank the way I have it adjusted but that has been NO problem. It will touch the bars at near full-lock (and lower the windshield occassionally) but it just hasn't been a problem and the Marsee is so much better than either of the Cortech's as far as capacity. The size doesn't make it cumbersome or embarrasing to carry around either. I have the four point quick-release 15 liter teardrop:

http://www.marseeproducts.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/online-store/scstore/scpages/subpages/sub_choose2_4QR.html?L+scstore+kcsw8507fff201f2+1139160096

number9

Very nice Rob. I have a Mini magnetic on my R6 and have been looking for great deal to pop up on a Mini strap mount for my ST1100. I am going to power it as well to charge cell phone while on the road. Hadn't thought of powering it for heated gear controller (which I hope to buy in the future) but now I will plan on that as well.

STOC #
Thanks. Once I tidy up all the connections on the inside it should work out pretty well. I pack it pretty full when I'm on the road for any length of time and I don't want to sacrifice too much space.

The heated gear controller is very convenient mounted to the bag. I had a "fairing mount" version on my Goldwing and this works out better.

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
Rob (from Hoosierville) said:
Yep - I need to post a few snapshots.

It turned out pretty well. I installed a bulkhead style SAE connector in the front of the bag where the Cortech wire pass-through was already located (DSCF0001.JPG & DSCF0002.JPG). I use an old Gerbings harness to feed that from the battery. On the inside surface, I have a plastic plate that the bulkhead connector screws mount to. The wires extend through it and connect to a terminal strip that I surface mounted to the plastic (DSCF0003.JPG). My Gerbings portable controller clips to the side of the bag (DSCF0001.JPG) and the power wire of the controller routes through the bottom of the bag to the terminal strip. The Garmin power wires go through the same hole in the bag bottom (DSCF0005.JPG). It'll be pretty clean inside the tank bag after I get all the wires trimmed up (I keep them their full length until I'm really sure). You can unplug the power feed and the GPS, put everything in the tank bag then put it in the saddlebag. I have a number of additional connection points on the terminal strip that are open, but I'm not sure what else I'd hook up beyond a phone charger. I did the helmet headset thing on my GL1800 but I don't think I'll ever use an Ipod or other music gadget. I really like the solitude on my ST. I wear earpliugs all the time anyway. It makes for good mental health time. It's really the only time I get to clear my head.

Once I get the Honey-Do list taken care of tomorrow I'll try to get a few shots posted.

1-24-06 Update

Weekend projects took longer than expected, but here are some shots of the preliminary setup. See references to the shots above.

Where did you get the throttle lock. 1st I've seen that one.

Top Bottom