970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I agree will everyone--great idea. However, my problem is with my heavy duty DeWalt 1/2" drill. The inspection panel area gap is way too small for my drill. I cannot seem to get a straight-inline shot in the deflector that's attached to the body. The dowel will end up kicking out in one direction or the other; to the top, the bottom or out, even if I drill the hole near the outside point of the "v", I stall can't get a straight shot as the hole would still point the dowel outward. And to hell if I'm going pull-off the deflector from the body and re-tape it afterwards--No.Way. So does everyone here have Fischer Price baby-sized drills?

When drilling both holes for the dowel, would trying to match the angle of the hole coming from the body-deflector into the inspector-panel-deflector piece, be worth the calculation? Does it matter what angle the dowel is at as long as it is connecting the two deflector segments? Did anyone else run into this issue at all? Am I nuts and over thinking this? don't answer that one.
:nuts1:
I just drilled my inspection cover first with my cordless 3/8 drill in the middle of the "V" and then placed it back towards the deflector and drilled the other side. Just try to keep the drill as straight possible and you should not have any problems. And no you are not nuts!!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
My brother-in-law has the same problem as Kempo-Ster. He recently purchased a used ST1300 which is missing the maintenance cover and the deflector on one side. The cover is procureable easily enough. Does anyone know how to get a hold of a replacement deflector? How to make one? Any ideas at all rather than buying an expensive whole new kit?

Bike
2011 ST1300
Try www.cmsnl.com

This is a Dutch (Ithink) outfit which ship worldwide. They are advertising the inspection cover deflector part for 38.50 Euros. Don't know how much the P+P will be but the site will give you a part number which I would have thought your Honda dealer would also be able to obtain.

David

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Nice work David. I've been posting the link to Lings Honda for these parts for years whenever somebody here insisted that they couldn't be bought individually. CMSNL's prices are better than Lings, who want ?46.80 each.

Part numbers for all fairing deflector parts shown in pic.

Attachments

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Just FYI You can get the covers here in the good old usa.
It seems the wind deflectors are a part of the 2010 st1300pa police model. I quess the boys are losing their covers so they are listed separately.
They list the covers as part 64382-mcs-a31 right and 64392-mcs-a31 left with a list price of 127.00 and street of 94.00 Pricey yes!!
So secure your covers!!

Bike
09 ST1300
I just did this mod to my covers, and I used 3/16 stainless dowels. Got some 6mm clip nut thingys and 2 pan head machine screws (painted flat bumper paint black). What a great idea this mod is!! My covers are rock solid now and I no longer scan my mirrors after hitting bumps for tumbling $$$$ covers!!!
:plus1:

I finally did mine this afternoon. I used 1/4" steel rod about 2" long for the metal stud, and #6-32 rubber well nuts and machine screws for the fasteners. I had to enlarge the holes in the fairing very slightly to get the well nuts to fit. It seems very secure. Tomorrow I'm going to try to find either black nylon machine screws, or phillips head stainless to replace the regular steel slot head screws I had on hand today.

Whizz

OzSTOC
Guys, I've just fitted the deflectors to my machine and was about to carry out this wonderful mod when a small question occurred to me, so I thought I'd ask the assembled experts. When you drill the deflectors and covers how deep do you drill the holes in each section, i.e. how much if the 1.5 inches of dowel is in the fixed section and how much in the all-too easily removed section?, and do you then glue the steel dowels in place in the fixed bit of the deflector or just rely on friction?

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Guys, I've just fitted the deflectors to my machine and was about to carry out this wonderful mod when a small question occurred to me, so I thought I'd ask the assembled experts. When you drill the deflectors and covers how deep do you drill the holes in each section, i.e. how much if the 1.5 inches of dowel is in the fixed section and how much in the all-too easily removed section?, and do you then glue the steel dowels in place in the fixed bit of the deflector or just rely on friction?
It really doesn't matter that much in how deep the hole is. I went about 1" in each side but it isn't like I measured the depth. Just drilled a hole.

The pin is in there with just friction. There is enough friction in the hole if you don't drill it too big that it isn't a big deal. That is why it isn't a big deal in how deep the hole is.

One thing I have noticed is that the pins will rust. It would take a long time for them to rust through but it is something I noticed. It would be nice to find stainless ones or aluminum but I haven't looked for any as of yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Be sure to check sennister's post #32 about the Velcro, this would eliminate drilling. I am doing this on my '09, but I am also using the bolt and U-nut on the rear, so there is no way it can fly off.
:tb1:

Thanks all - its great - I put up a post, then I went and did some yard work, and I come back and find answers! Thank you. I will track down the part and do the fix suggested.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks all - its great - I put up a post, then I went and did some yard work, and I come back and find answers! Thank you. I will track down the part and do the fix suggested.
Just make sure the rivet pin is intact, fully in place, and locked in. The other mods are nice but not necessary if the rivet is secured. My panels are original after 10 years and 159,589 miles. The rivet pins get replaced regularly.

I use this rivet pin for my 2005, P/N 90116-MCS-G00:

You can see it has plenty of length as seen locked in place through the accessory wind deflector and maintenance panel:

Bike
2006 ST1300
Is there a secret to getting hold of the center stud to take out one of those rivet pins? I can get to the other side and the center pin is flush with the top. What's the secret?

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Is there a secret to getting hold of the center stud to take out one of those rivet pins? I can get to the other side and the center pin is flush with the top. What's the secret?
Just push the center of the pin down with a small pointed tool gently and then you can lift the whole rivet out of the hole. Do not push it all the through as you will loose the center of the pin.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Go figure...I've finally purchased the replacement deflectors for both sides and figured I'd do this mod so I wouldn't lose them ever again. Purchased the 2 Suzuki screws and the 2 Honda nuts. Upon delivery I get 2 nuts and 1 screw. The other screw is back ordered until at least 8/31. Found it elsewhere for .92 but at $5 shipping, I passed. Now I'm on the hunt for 1 stinking screw. Anyone have one of these? I'd gladly buy it and pay for a stamp.

Skip

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Now I'm on the hunt for 1 stinking screw. Anyone have one of these? I'd gladly buy it and pay for a stamp.

Skip
I do actually. My gf's ex wanted me to order one for him. Now he doesn't want it. Go figure. ;-)

If I can find it... give me a day or two...

Top Bottom