Throttle Medic

Bike
2006 ST1300
After buying this fairly expensive bike, and riding it alone for a while, I took SWMBO for a ride. She was not too pleased at all with the abruptness of the throttle response, and the "herky-jerky" way it felt to her compared to the BMW Airheads we HAD been riding up 'til then. I tried explaining that not only did I need to get used to the bike more, but it was fuel injected, etc, which made not a bit of difference to my regular pillion rider. She wanted smooth.Not PRETTY smooth...she wanted smooth. I did my homework..Ivan's FCE seemed to be the most efficacious mod/farkle to do, so I called up Ivan's and ordered one. It came, and in a few days, I installed it. Easy job, much easier than I imagined from the descriptions I had seen.

Did it work? Wellllllllllll..yes..and no. It did improve the overall "feel" of the bike, it did eliminate some of the jerkiness, but well..I found it a bit disappointing. It did nothing for the heat problem, which Ivan's website claimed it would alleviate.

Next, I investigated the G2 Throttle Tamer ..the vast majority of folks seemed to think this was a good mod, and most (but not all) felt that it improved the ride-ability of the bike considerably.I figured this was my next mod.

In reading about the various questions and comments, I came upon one member who brought up a good point-why not modify the stock throttle tube to match the profile of the throttle tamer? Thanks to Vitaliy, I i took a look at this, and decided to try it. I figured at the worst, if it failed, I could repair it with plastic epoxy or JB weld, and order a new one.

I removed it, and cut a groove corresponding to the top cable, using an end cutter mounted in my drill press. The picture shows the groove after I cut it, but before I filed it smooth, and sanded it. I decided to keep the groove small to ensure the integrity of the plastic piece, and to see if there was any change at all.

I re-assembled, and went for a ride...YES..big difference, mainly in taking off, and around the twisties- no more JERK when trying to roll back on the throttle. I rode around the back roads for a while, then went to pick up SWMBO at work, to take her for a 20 minute ride and show off my handiwork. She was impressed, and could tell the difference.

I really don't see any downside, but will re-post as I ride it longer.I'll try to post a picture of the rough cut on the tube.

Attachments

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
The throttle tamer definitely helps. Did you have a lot of slack in the cable to take out after modifying it?

OP
OP
klaproth
Bike
2006 ST1300
NO..actually it seemed about the same. I had to loosen the cable to get the tube out to begin with, but the nut may have needed about one more turn than when I loosened it up.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I really don't see any downside, but will re-post as I ride it longer.I'll try to post a picture of the rough cut on the tube.
Any update on your mod here? I am thinking of trying this. So is the deal just to grove it out as n your photo? How deep?

OP
OP
klaproth
Bike
2006 ST1300
Any update on your mod here? I am thinking of trying this. So is the deal just to grove it out as n your photo? How deep?
I cut it between a 1/16" and an 1/8", making sure to GRADUALLY deepen it, around the circumference, just as a throttle tamer works. Yes, it still works like a charm!

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
FJR owners have done it too, or a G2, it helps. I found it best to adjust throttle freeplay so you have just a wee bit, so very little. No sense you having to manage that slack with the wrist.
Nothing in an electronic mod is going to change the heat, how could it.
You now have more power than those airheads and it is delivered differently, so understandable about "jerkiness" until you have more experience.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I found adjusting the throttle cable free-play makes a big difference. The specification is 2 to 6mm of free-play. The closer to 2mm the better response you will get. I adjusted mine as tight as I could without affecting a full return to idle and all is well.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I found adjusting the throttle cable free-play makes a big difference. The specification is 2 to 6mm of free-play. The closer to 2mm the better response you will get. I adjusted mine as tight as I could without affecting a full return to idle and all is well.
I agree and have mine tight as can be. It still has the low RPM surge if I am not paying attention to my riding style.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
cdnemsguy; said:
have mine tight as can be.
+1 I've taken all the slack out of mine and checked lock to lock steering to see it doesn't pulls on the cables. This give me very smooth control and it's become 'muscle memory' with no surprises.

Minimizing the slack to spec and/or your comfort level is a good idea even without the G2 but I love the G2.

Top Bottom