Armor Armor Prevents Injuries In Crash.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
Went off the BRP the Sunday before Memorial Day. The bike was traveling 45 mph, but the mind was at 35 mph. It should not have happened. After a 1 hr transport to University of Va. Hospital it was determined that i have cracked ribs in the front rt & lt at the bottom of the rib cage and and in the high back rt & lt in the center of the back.That's the bad news.
The good news is that I had on a Shoei RF-1000 helmut, Olympia Mesh jacket, Motoport mesh pants, Lee Parks gloves & BMW riding boots which prevented any road rash. The Dr. in the IR said that my phyiscal conditioning was the difference between this 64 yr old being in the IR and the ICU. From the looks of the jacket and pants I hit had on my left shoulder with no injury and my left hip, no injury.
What have I learned:
1. Ride within your abbility or concentration level.
2. ATGATT
3. I will return to phyiscal conditioning when cleared.

Thanks to all the well wishers, and thanks to the helpful passers bye that stayed with Marcia until the squad left the site, paramedic, the Doctors and nurses at the University of VA. Hospital and the park ranger.
The real trooper was my wife Marcia, who made it through the curve succesfully, waited at the hospital till we found out what was wrong with me. She then road her RT back to our home in Ohio arriving at 3 AM. She then drove back with the cage to transport me home after 2 days in the hospital.
The bike is totalled. I have bought another 06 off the site. I have most of the farkles ordered but i need a luggage rack. We have another trip planned.
Ride Safe. Ron

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Ron, you are awesome! Glad to hear you are mending!! Hope to ride with you again soon!

The OH-STOC invite still stands if you're up to it!!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ron, You just never know when something like that will happen...when you least expect it! :eek:4:
Glad to hear you are on the mend, bike taken care of and already your next trip planned! :hat1:

:pray1: for fast recovery!

cdp70

"Living the Dream..."
Bike
2003 ST 1300A
STOC #
Great to hear you are, for the most part, alright!! Glad you were ATGATT.. Heal quickly..

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Good to hear that you had on all the safety equipment and came out of this with the small amount of injuries that you did. I hope you heal fast.

Was the rack on your old bike damaged?

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Ron, thanks for the post and willingness to give your story here. Aleays a good reminder. I pray that your healing continues quick and you and Marcia are able to go enjoy your hobby again soon!
:pray1:
:)

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Ron, I'm glad you're doing better and I hope the pain subsides quickly. Thank Goodness you are an ATGATT rider.. I hope you're out making cobbler again soon. If you offer again I'm going to try just a little bit Diabetic or not! Ride Safe!!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
All things considered, that's good news, Ron. Heal well to ride again!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Condolences and Congratulations!

Glad to hear you're doing well and you might want to take Marcia out to dinner! :D

Here's hoping you heal well and fast!
Mark

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
Great news Ron! Good to hear you will be getting back in the saddle again. Ride safe, and eat more cobbler!

Bike
ST1300 '08
Excellent Ron.. so glad to hear too that you're already planning to get back in the saddle. encouraging to all. :)best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Bike
99 ST1100
Wow, Ron, You da man!

Can't believe you've already snagged a new ride before your ribs have even healed up!

Look forward to riding with you again - BRG?

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I have to agree with your assessment Ron, Glad your OK. I too hit the ground a few weeks ago at 35 to 40. The hip armor in my motoport pants saved a broken hip but not the 3 week old bruise. A difference for me is my S&S jacket has external hard armor on the shoulder as well as interior soft armor. I firmly believe this hard armor spread out the direct hit on my shoulder saving broken parts.
I am also in good shape as I run 4 to 5 miles a day and participate in a full body weight training class 3 days a week. I hope when I am 64 I still be riding as you are I am 56 now.
Unfortunately my Triumph Sprint wont be back in action for 4 to 6 weeks awaiting parts from UK.

Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
Glad you are okay. I'm now a believer in ATGATT. A friend of mine's son went down and was wearing his mesh jacket with armor and ff helmet. His head and shoulder hit the road pretty hard. And he got up, uninjured.

Bike
'95 ST1100
STOC #
Ron: Glad your injurys weren't life threatening. Met you at Moonshine this past year. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Top Bottom