How to repair/replace zipper on Tour Master pants

Gunz

Houligan
Bike
'08 1300
STOC #
ARGH! Stupid pants are only 9 months old and the port side zipper blew apart. I then mangled it trying to fix it in a parking lot.

I have to admit that I felt vulnerable riding around without the overpants.

Any thoughts/experience on repairing this zipper? It's a hundred and fifty bucks for a replacement set of Joe Rocket Mesh Pants, and these Tour Masters are otherwise servicable.

Thanks,

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Interesting, my TourMaster Flex pants had a zipper fail acouple of days ago. It was one of the removable panels, so at least I can ride around oin the mesh until I figure out what can be done! I also had a zipper fail on my Cortech GX Sport jacket, the same way...the plastic part of the zipper came off the material part of the zipper. My wife says there is no way to fix them short of replacing the zipper! :cus:

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
+1 on finding a local seamstress or tailor; if it were my pants, I'd just ask my sister to replace the zipper. :p:

Doesn't Tourmaster offer a 1 year warranty on their garments? I realize that going without riding pants for a few weeks may be an undesirable option, but it may be at least one option.

Good luck.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I had a pair of Tour Master Caliber pants that were three years when one of the leg zippers failed. After attempting to repair the zipper myself and taking it to a fabric store that sold zippers and having the ladies there work on the zipper unsucessfully I contacted Tour Master Customer Service. I ended up sending the pants to them thinking they would repair the zipper. About 2 weeks later I recieved a brand new pair of pants in the mail!
If I were you I would contact their customer service dept and I believe they will take care of oyur problem.

Bike
'95 ST1100
STOC #
I had a pair of Tour Master Caliber pants that were three years when one of the leg zippers failed. After attempting to repair the zipper myself and taking it to a fabric store that sold zippers and having the ladies there work on the zipper unsucessfully I contacted Tour Master Customer Service. I ended up sending the pants to them thinking they would repair the zipper. About 2 weeks later I recieved a brand new pair of pants in the mail!
If I were you I would contact their customer service dept and I believe they will take care of oyur problem.

:plus1:On the customer service.

I have the Tourmaster jacket and had issues with the zipper with less than a year. :eek:

I sent it back for repair and they sent me a brand new jacket :D

Bike
ST1300
I have a Tourmaster jacket and took it to a local tailor who took three days to put in something that looked just like OEM. Two years since and no problems with the replacement. I know the Tourmaster line is a lower priced unit but I've been very happy with the service of the two jackets (one solid and one mesh) that I own.

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I have the same side, zipper failure. Took the pant to two local taylor/seamstress and neither can fix them. I guess I'll call tourmaster for ideas....

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was able to fix my problem of the separation of the zipper by taking some thread and carefully re-sewing it back in place. so far so good, it is still working.

A couple of weeks ago, I got a email from motorcyclegear.com that TourMaster was upping their prices, so I ordered a new pair of Flex Pants (had to go to Dennis Kirk, since MCGear didn't have the right size...:(

So I used my new GX-Air jacket (bought in June) and my new pants for my trip to Utah, but I have been using my old gear for commuting! :D

I still need to look at the solid jacket again and see if I can fix it's zipper like I did the pants. :pray1:

I know this post has grown cold, but with Fall approaching I wanted to get some feedback... I have two sets of TourMaster pants. One is an older pair that my wife got me for Christmas about 8 years ago... the leg zippers started failing, about two years ago. Rather than hassle with TourMaster, I just bought a new pair of pants... but on those the crotch zipper blew out after only 9 months. Now I have two pairs of TourMaster pants... both perfectly good garments except for the zippers. And worse... it's not the zippers themselves, it's the zipper pulls... they're made of aluminum and can't seem to take the stress of daily wear. They eventually stretch and can't close the teeth properly, and thus the blow-out. On a couple occasions I was able to bend the pulls back into shape, but that didn't last long (once something gets bent, it's only a matter of time before it breaks).

Anyway... it's no surprise that TourMaster just sent you new garments. They don't actually manufacture them here anymore. Has anyone dealt with TourMaster lately on this? Any new stories here? I have to say, I've been really disappointed with the level of quality... but I haven't really found an alternative either... any suggestions?

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES
Try your local upholstery shop. Mine shortened my Olympic Ranger pants quickly and economically. I'm sure they could handle a H/D zipper.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Try your local upholstery shop. Mine shortened my Olympic Ranger pants quickly and economically. I'm sure they could handle a H/D zipper.
+1

Both side zipper pulls failed at roughly the same time on my Joe Rocket pants. I brought them in to a local store that manufactures canvas tents. They put on two new pullers and only charged me like $10. It was money well spent.

OP
OP
Gunz

Gunz

Houligan
Bike
'08 1300
STOC #
+1 on the upholstery shop. They replaced the old zippers with new, rugged marine zippers. Life is cheap, err, I mean good.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
My Tourmaster mesh pants also had the left leg blow out. If I mess with it I can get them to zip and once zipped they are fine. I am under warranty still so they will go back. I am just waiting for me to give up on the season. I haven't done that yet.

rcb

Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Sorry to revive a long dead thread, but I was given a pair of Tourmaster Venture pants a couple of years ago. About a month or so ago, the right leg zipper stopped closing properly. The zipper pull is still in tact. But it could be stretched or warped. I can't really be certain. I have asked my wife to replace the zipper. But she's never replaced one (she does small mending and hole patching jobs around the house) and from what everyone else has said, if I contact Tourmaster, they will more than likely replace my pants. Is it possible the same would hold true for my situation? Not that my wife isn't willing to try. We just haven't found any good tutorials for replacing the zipper.

Last edited:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
You can buy replacement sliders, which are simple to install. No need to replace the entire zipper, unless the teeth are damaged. The slider for my Tourmaster Flex pants was a 5mm for a nylon "coil" zipper, as opposed to a "tooth" zipper.

I got my sliders from Amazon, from a company called Zipper Rescue.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Have the TM Flex pants since 2010. I did have one time the left zipper coil separated while attempting to zip it closed but was able to "work" the slider very carefully over the spot where it separated until it seemed to self-repair. That was a little over a year ago so no new zippers yet. I did look at the zipper closely and can see that I should be able to replace it when needed. My wife doesn't really do much sewing, mending holes and such but not any other real sewing. But I do. Have replaced all the Velcro patches on both my TM jacket and Flex pants at least once, 3 times on the pants on both legs, and also on my Gerbing gloves once (verified no heating wires under the wrist at the gauntlet where the Velcro is located). Since the liner is beginning to wear out in the pants now I am thinking I'll be replacing the pants before replacing the zipper.

Top Bottom