Bike died while riding.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Tach/speedo dropped to zero first, followed by trip meters resetting to zero and fuel gauge flashing. Then bike started surging until it no longer ran. Stopped at roadside, and no more start. Clicking from starter relay (I'm assuming). Lights were on, but no neutral light. AFter a few minutes, neutral light started showing up when we turned the key back on, but still no start. Neutral light died out after 2 start attempts.

So - took the battery for a test and short charge. Seemed ok, and after putting it back into the bike, the bike ran fine for, oh, 1 mile. Same symptoms.

Been digging through the threads, and there seem to be some bikes that have these symptoms with bad batteries or alternators. Any ideas/feedback appreciated. Bike is currently on a highway somewhere about to spend a lonely night. Don't know if it's worth just buying a battery or getting it towed..

thanks.
bk

not happy.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Any check of ground continuity? Maybe something is rattling loose and preventing either a charge from the alternator or ability to crank from the battery. Hard to diagnose without a meter but something to look for.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
So - took the battery for a test and short charge. Seemed ok
Seemed okay, probably is not good enough. Either load test the battery or swap a battery known to be good.

Pretty much everything you've described can be attributed to low system voltage, with the usual suspects being, low battery charge, loose connections, and not having the ground recall performed.

Of course if the battery is as old as the one I'm using (5+ years), don't bother with the load test, and just replace it.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Intermittant fault... those are not fun.

Based on your description I would bet real money on a bad connection, and I would have said battery; but, you took it out and put it back so that's out.
Check your ground wire (follow it from the alternator) if it's going bad it would cause the same symptoms.

RCS

Sounds like a wiring short somewhere. First, I'd switch on/off the engine kill button a few times as I understand that can short or get dirty over time. I might also attempt to inspect and clean that switch.

If that doesn't work, next I'd make a close inspection of the wiring in areas near stress and vibration - between the frame and forks first and then along the frame.

I'm assuming the Tach dropped because the engine died. The Speedometer didn't go to zero right away also, right? That wouldn't make any sense.

OP
OP
bkra13
Bike
2003 ST1300
Yup, everything went to zero at the same time. Both needles dropped. Bike wouldn't bump start while rolling. Clock reset to zero.

OP
OP
bkra13
Bike
2003 ST1300
well, looks like the charging system took a dump. Put a new battery in it, got it 16 miles down the road from where it was stranded, then same thing happened. BOTH guages dropped to zero first, then 10 seconds later the fuel guage blinked one light, then surging, then died. At least this time the indicator lights (oil/neutral) stayed lit, so this battery at least has life left in it. Bike is back home, so now I get to tear into it.

Voltage meter showed no change to voltage at all while running. Battery had 12.75v, while running it stayed there, no matter the rpm.

oh joy. First vehicle I've EVER had strand me at the side of the road.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had the same problem in December of 08. I was my alternator that died! I was one month out of the three year warranty, but I had the extended warranty..:D

You might check ebay for one!

These bikes don't go very far on just the battery! :eek:4:

OP
OP
bkra13
Bike
2003 ST1300
Wow. What a piece of work getting at the alternator. I think I'm about 6 hours into this and I finally got that sucker out. No way in HECK are all those hoses going back in the right place.. :doh1: For this job, it probably WOULD have been easier to start with "remove engine". argh.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow. What a piece of work getting at the alternator. I think I'm about 6 hours into this and I finally got that sucker out. No way in HECK are all those hoses going back in the right place.. :doh1: For this job, it probably WOULD have been easier to start with "remove engine". argh.
We will expect a complete report with pics after you are done! :eek::

Good Luck! :lucky:

OP
OP
bkra13
Bike
2003 ST1300
well, ok, I guess no one has posted pics of drywall with wrenches, screwdrivers and alternators embedded yet...

RCS

Just some thoughts....

Could it possibly be a loose wire connected to the altenator? Any way to test the wire and/or test the altenator?

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I just noticed this thread. Mine is tore down just about as far. Well at least I will say I am in far enough that I can see the alternator.

As long as you are in there, now is a good time to do the Breeze Clamps on those main hoses and Aviation Form-a-gasket. I just ordered new coolant hoses and have the form-a-gasket on hand for reassembly. Last night I found the source of my coolant leak so that should fix it up.

Let me know if you have any issues and I will see what I can do to help.

OP
OP
bkra13
Bike
2003 ST1300
The Breeze clamps I was going to do. What is this Aviation Form-a-gasket you speak of and where are you using it? Hmm, actually I think I still have some of that stuff, come to think of it. No idea why I ever bought it originally - probably to put the 750 together. Which I haven't. Yet.

I actually had no coolant leaks from the hoses. Mine was leaking from a damaged rad. I'll be trying some Stop Leak during the refill, see if it helps. Leak was very slow anyhow - enough to smell, not enough to see.

You'll need a wobble socket to get at that bottom alternator bolt. Really not that bad - deep well socket with the wobble gets in there reasonably well.

OP
OP
bkra13
Bike
2003 ST1300
dja invent any new words yet LOL.
Nah, this wasn't as bad as replacing the alternator on the MPV yet. Or the cooling fan in the Fiesta. Or the wheel bearing on the Protege.. or the... but it is up there.

Besides, after 30 years of shade-tree hack mechanics, I've pretty much got all the words I need. :D

Top Bottom