Windshield motor cross wired?

Gandolkf

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Wing
STOC #
After breaking down and buying a new ADJUSTER-WINDSCREEN,bolting it in wiring it up did not work.No problem have the manual(think ther's a few errors in the manual)anyway go thru the test continuity test?circut?power?relays all looks good can't figure why it does not work?

Finally go back to the basics get my trusty test light,the plug on the motor has 2 lines in I connect to one line push the up button-have light push the down button no light---move test light to the other line push the down button have light push the up botton no light.
Looks good?

Plug it in and when i push button up or down both lines have light, and does not work .
Is there something wrong with the Motor.
HELP

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Re: Windshield moto rcross wired?

Is there something wrong with the Motor.
The motor should spin when connected to a 12vdc power source.

The motor rotation is bi-directional, with direction of rotation determined by voltage polarity (one direction with the Orange/Black conductor connected to +12vdc, and the Orange/Blue conductor connected to -12vdc. The opposite direction with the Orange/Blue conductor connected to +12vdc, and the Orange/Black conductor connected to -12vdc).

If you're having trouble deciphering the wiring schematic in the OEM manual, try the color wiring schematic available in the ST1300 FAQs section of the forum. After downloading, the drawing can be viewed, zoomed in on, and printed out with any .pdf viewer.

Perhaps this simplified schematic of the Windscreen Circuit with a brief explanation of the circuit will be of some benefit to you.

If you're just replacing the old motor assembly with another motor assembly, then the electrical connections really should be plug and play. So the first thing I would do (if the motor assembly came from a donor bike) is confirm the motor operates in both directions. Next I would check the connections to each individual component in the windscreen circuit (only seven components, shouldn't take much time).

Study the schematic:
  • The Windscreen Main Relay is simply the device that allows the windscreen mechanism to operate when the ignition switch is ON, and prevents the windscreen mechanism from operating when the ignition switch is OFF.
  • The limit switches merely allow voltage from the windscreen up/down switch to pass to the up relay or the down relay (if the windscreen is not at the end of travel).
  • The two direction Limit Relays (Up and Down), are responsible for changing the motor rotation direction (ie changing motor polarity).
Now with a good understanding of how and why the circuit was designed to function, tracking down the problem is logical, and should be relatively simple.

OP
OP
Gandolkf

Gandolkf

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Wing
STOC #

First of all Thanks for your help.
The bike is an 03 non abs
the entire wiring harness and switch is from an 06
The windscreen motor and asembly is new.
I bolted it all in and pluged every thing in,did all the test that are in the manual continuity,check relays and handlebar switch---every thing checks out?
what I have figured out,it's some kind of ground problem,I can connect 1 side of the 2 wires that go directly to the motor and ground the other and it works with handle bar switch in one direction change to the other wire ground the other line and works in the other direction. I'm going to try and add some grounds to the green wires.I hope that works.extra grounds won't hurt.

OP
OP
Gandolkf

Gandolkf

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Wing
STOC #

Well that did't work.
I do have 2 wires connected to the motor directly,i can ground the black wire and it works up,ground the red wire and it works down.
using the handle bar switch,so im getting closer?

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #

You sure it isn't just a dirty handlebar switch????

OP
OP
Gandolkf

Gandolkf

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Wing
STOC #

You sure it isn't just a dirty handlebar switch????
I'll take it apart and look @ the contacts,but the switch works on the +postive line the -negative line does not work?
There 3 lines in it maybe 1 is negative?

Bike
'06 ST1300A

There 3 lines in it maybe 1 is negative?
No, the Pink wire is the +12vdc from the Windscreen Main Relay. The other two wires Light Green/Yellow, and Light Green/Blue pass the +12vdc to the Limit Switches.

I see you mention the "entire wiring harness", does this also include the three relays (Windscreen Main Relay, Windscreen Up Limit Relay, & Windscree Down Limit Relay)?

The Windscreen Main Relay is the device that allows +12vdc to pass from Fuse K (Fuse I for non-ABS), when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, to:
  • The Windscreen Switch located on the LH handlebar switch cluster.
  • The Windscreen Up Limit Relay located behind the dash board.
  • The Windscreen Down Limit Relay located behind the dash board.
The two limit relays are different than the other relays used on the St1300, they each have five connections, where as the other relays only use four connections. The difference is that the limit relays have a set of contacts that are normally closed (NC), when the relay is not enabled, and another set of contacts that are normally open (NO), when the relay is not enabled. Note: when the relay is enabled, the NC contacts will open, and the NO contacts will close.

Both limit relays use the NC contacts to provide the ground connection to the windscreen motor, specifcally:
  • The Windscreen Up Limit Relay pass the ground connection to the windscreen motor on the Orange/Black wire.
  • The Windscreen Down Limit Relay pass the ground connection to the windscreen motor on the Orange/Blue wire.
When the Windscreen Switch is moved to the Up positon, +12vdc passes through the up limit switch (provided the windscreen is not fully extended), to the Windscreen Up Limit Relay, thus enabling the relay.
When the Windscreen Up Limit Relay is enabled the NC contact opens (which disconnects the Orange/Black wire from ground), and the NO contact closes (allowing +12vdc (provided by the Main Windscreen Relay) to pass through the Orange/Black wire). The windscreen motor is now powered in the up direction by +12vdc on the Orange/Black wire, and a ground connection on the Orange/Blue wire.

It appears that the windscreen motor is functioning correctly, as well as the windscreen switch, my guess is that the limit relays may not be connected correctly.

OP
OP
Gandolkf

Gandolkf

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Wing
STOC #

I see you mention the "entire wiring harness", does this also include the three relays (Windscreen Main Relay, Windscreen Up Limit Relay, & Windscree Down Limit Relay)?
No i did not get the relays and you mention the 2 are different.All the ones i have are 4 pin-looking for th 5 pin now,not finding them on Ronayers or honda direct line?

Thanks

Bike
'03 ST1300

First of all Thanks for your help.
The bike is an 03 non abs
the entire wiring harness and switch is from an 06
The windscreen motor and asembly is new.
I bolted it all in and pluged every thing in,did all the test that are in the manual continuity,check relays and handlebar switch---every thing checks out?
what I have figured out,it's some kind of ground problem,I can connect 1 side of the 2 wires that go directly to the motor and ground the other and it works with handle bar switch in one direction change to the other wire ground the other line and works in the other direction. I'm going to try and add some grounds to the green wires.I hope that works.extra grounds won't hurt.
Does this mean that the entire main wiring harness throughout the bike, was replaced??

OP
OP
Gandolkf

Gandolkf

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Wing
STOC #

Does this mean that the entire main wiring harness throughout the bike, was replaced??
yes harness from 06 if you look at my gallaery i have lots of pics, documentation? can't type that much

On this go around I found out there are mini relays then 5 pin mini relays----most mini relays on the bike are 4 pin,the windscreen motor has two 5 pin relays

Top Bottom