My beloved ST is well again

Bike
'04 ST1300
Some weeks back I had the F1 light come on, and sometimes then go off, but more recently it would blink twice while the bike was upright, but go steady when on the side stand.

Not being mechanically minded, I put it into my mech's workshop, where he had his team go over it to try to track down the faults, which turned out to be loose wires or incorrectly aligned throttle bodies.
When I got it back, I was asked to drop it back in a couple of weeks for them to go further into it as they said there were still a couple of faults they hadn?t tracked down.

The day I took it down was not a good day.

When I started it, it wouldn?t idle, or it would cough, splutter, and die. After about 15 minutes of this, I managed to get it to the workshop, and said give it back when it?s well again.

As I was off on annual leave, the ?when? wasn?t an issue, but when I did get back a couple of weeks later, they still didn?t have a well bike for me.

To begin with, they had found the front plugs (both sides) were severely fouled. These were cleaned, bike restarted, but fouled again very shortly. Plug leads were suspected, so these were changed with no fix.
So the plugs leads were then switched from front to back, but the fronts still fouled,
so that idea went west.

Next the coil was replaced with no apparent change.

Throttle bodies were checked again, found to be incorrectly aligned, and reset ? no change.

Injectors were checked ? cleaned ? no change. At one point it was thought one injector may have jammed open but this was found not to be the case.

After a lot of head scratching, it was decided it was either going to be the 02 sensors or the computer itself.

I kinda shuddered at the thought of having to fork out to replace the computer.:(

However, it was found the 02 sensors were at fault so rather than replace them and possibly have the same thing happen, the mech decided to fit 02 eliminators.

Now it goes like a dream :)

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
I would like to know more about these 02 eliminators... Where do you get them and how do you install them,, Plug in ??
Mike
You can get them from Dobeck, they plug into the O2 main harness connector, they are basically a resistor that makes the ECM think the O2 sensors are still in a warm up state and ignores them. I run them on my 07 St1300 with the Dobeck Techlusion with harness not the tap in.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I just got off the phone from DynoJet and they said there was not enough demand for a PC for the ST 13 ...
That's a bit of a tall tale. They had a PC for the ST in 2003. Honda changed the ECM firmware in 2004, and the PC could not be made to work on that or subsequent years despite a valiant effort by DynoJet and one of our members.

--Mark

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
Can you tell me what the Dobeck Techlusion did for your ST 13 ???
Mike
Sorry for the slow response , haven't been on in a while.
The Dobeck Techlusion manipulates the injector firing solenoid, basically it holds it open for a fraction of a second longer ( this is adjustable) to inject more fuel. It also allows for setting the lean idle ( only works with the stock 50PSI PFR, all others make it to rich), but setting it to "0" turns this function off.
Its considered a active response , if you ride normal/ mellow your not going to notice much. You start banging through the gears and hard acceleration, you will notice it, and so will you front tire .. I haven't dyno'd it as of yet, but it will be coming . Just and FYI , I also run Two Brothers M2 exhaust, and wrapped pipes on my 07. This winter its also getting the Airbox mod ...
The down side is MPG, if I ride mellow I'm still in the 40-42, if I start playing it drops to about 35MPG. As a point a reference, I also have a 2010 ST1300 stock to compare it against, and it is noticeable.
If your considering installing a Dobeck Techlusion, get the wiring harness kit ( plugs into the injector connectors) , it resolves the issues of incorrect installation by tapping the wrong wires..

Hope that helps.

Hi Mark,
I am new to the St world. I bought a 2003 ST in the fall and am wanting to do some performance upgrades that make sense (air box, FPR, pipes and...?). Are there some mods that will uniquely work on the 2003? I have been reading comments about the power commander not working because of the St's closed loop system. Will any of these mods that change the electronics in the fuel system work on the 2003? Thanks for any wisdom you can provide.
MKayban

Bike
2004 ST1300
I too am new to the ST world and will be picking up an 04 in two weeks.
Would love to "enhance" the bike as I come from a CBR1100XX and I'm used to having a bit of get up and go with my propulsion.

Is there a performance thread somewhere on the forum that lays out the typical mods?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I too am new to the ST world and will be picking up an 04 in two weeks.
Would love to "enhance" the bike as I come from a CBR1100XX and I'm used to having a bit of get up and go with my propulsion.

Is there a performance thread somewhere on the forum that lays out the typical mods?
If you're expecting to hot-rod this bike, you're going to be sorely disappointed. The ST is in a weight class that requires adding significantly more oomph to put a meaningful dent in the torque- and power-to-weight ratios. The engine is designed and tuned for good-but-not-tear-your-face-off performance and very long life. The fuel system fights modifications tooth and nail and usually wins.

A wet ST is almost 15-20% heavier than your 'Bird and makes more torque, but not 20% more, so you're probably going to find it a little slower. The blue paint will make it faster than all other STs, however, so that's worth something, as is the extra range you get from carrying 25% more fuel.

--Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300
I come from a CBR1100XX also. While I do miss the power, I feel the ST isn't that far off. I think it even makes more power in th low RPM range. I sure don't miss the chain drive and I love the bags and comfort.

That being said I have a K&N air filter, a FPR matched to it, and mufflers opened up. I've dynoed at just short of 120 HP at the rear wheel.

Top Bottom