970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Here is my replacement tire for my ST1300. It is working well so far after I installed it today and went for a 120 mile ride to test it out! It was a bear to mount as the sidewall is very stiff. I am running 32 PSI to start and may drop it down to 30 as it handles great. There is no flexing of the sidewall like the Hankook tire which made me run it at 40 PSI.

Here is a picture of the new tire

And a picture of my old used Hankook tire with 19,000 hard miles on it.

Here is a picture of my GPS on my test run

I will keep you updated on my likes and dislikes of this tire.

Attachments

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
Looks like the goodyear has a little more rounded profile , looks more like a bike tire , Am I right on this ?

MIKE

STOC #
I run those in the summer on my Subaru. They're great. Wish I could fit one on the 1100. I'd do it in a heartbeat before spending more for a bike tire that I struggle to get more than about 6k out of.

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I run those in the summer on my Subaru. They're great. Wish I could fit one on the 1100. I'd do it in a heartbeat before spending more for a bike tire that I struggle to get more than about 6k out of.
My main reason to go with this "Outside the box tire was for the life span as I could not get the miles I needed on my long rides to complete it without having to replace my tire on the road or risk getting home on a worn tire. I know George has a CT mounted on his 1100.

Excellent news....... another tire choice for the ST. I think you'll like the stiffer sidewalls better.
So far I am very happy with the stiff sidewall as my starting pressure was 32 and I will lower it to 30. On the Hankook tire I had to run 40 to not feel the flex in the sidewall. Ken (Zooker13) runs 30 in his Hankook and likes it.

I like the looks of that tire Mike!
Yes I like the meaty look of this tire also.

Mike, is the picture of that new tire with it mounted and inflated on the rim?
Interesting tread design.
Yes that tire is mounted and inflated on the wheel of the ST and back on the bike, It is about 1/4" less in width then the Hankook.

Looks good, what size did you go with?
The size is 205/50/17

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Mike,

Merry Christmas. Nice looking tire. Lets us know how it preforms in the twisties. Not sure I would have the confidence that I have in the PR2s. I'm sure it would be great for highway riding.

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Mike,

Merry Christmas. Nice looking tire. Lets us know how it preforms in the twisties. Not sure I would have the confidence that I have in the PR2s. I'm sure it would be great for highway riding.
Jeff & Lynne,

Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

The tire works great in the twisties as I tried it last night on some of my favorite back roads. I was one of the people that said it would not work the first time I looked at one on a FJR. I have to say after trying it and gaining my confidence in the tire that I can go just as fast on this type of tire as any motorcycle tire.

Here is the route I tried this new tire on last night http://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=3e834ef5df0d8918d&width=600&height=600&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police
Hi Mike,

When I first tried this Tire on my ST1300PA I could not get it past the ABS Sensor -- Do you have ABS on your ST1300.

Great that you managed to get it on -- I have been running my Goldwing with this Tire 2 Years now and they last 45,000 Miles on a Goldwing with us running 34psi.

Thanks for trying them on the ST.

Regards,

Ron

Bike
st1300 2003
Excuse me if I am being ignorant but is this not a car tyre , does it not just roll off the edge when you corner, does it get up to temperature ok . I find this really odd and kinda scary as I would be a little scared of putting a car tyre on a bike . Does it not fight against the profile of a standard tyre on the front. Is it continuously dry where you live cos here in blighty it gets kinda damp . Im very intrigued though

Bike
2006 ST1300
Excuse me if I am being ignorant but is this not a car tyre , does it not just roll off the edge when you corner, does it get up to temperature ok . I find this really odd and kinda scary as I would be a little scared of putting a car tyre on a bike . Does it not fight against the profile of a standard tyre on the front. Is it continuously dry where you live cos here in blighty it gets kinda damp . Im very intrigued though
There are a couple other threads that directly answer your questions, and are more aimed at answering the basic questions of running a car tire. But in short, several of us have been running car tires to get much extended life out of them. I have run my Hankook in lots of rain and even a little snow. I live where the roads are twisty, and its the best tire I've used for our rough, twisty roads. It also works great on high speed corners. It handles surprisingly well, much better than you would ever expect from a car tire.

And thanks for having an open mind, and being intrigued, instead of instantly against use of anything but a motorcycle tire. If it weren't for thinking outside the box, we would all be running on steel rims stretched around wooden spokes.

Jammaman

R.I.P. - 2022/02/02
Rest In Peace
Nice looking tire Mike! It has earned a very strong reputation among the GL1800 DS community, with loads of positive reviews and a well documented history of longevity. It will be interesting to see your thoughts as you put it through your evaluation...It will be a serious contender when I replace my BS Ecopia, which I project will surpass 25,000 miles +.

Be safe, enjoy and I look forward to your upcoming reviews. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Yr to you and your family!

Doug /m AG5I

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I wish we had more Car Tar options for the 1100. :(
May I recommend fuel injection. It's available on the decade+ old ST1300. :rofl1:

George, imagine running a tire that lasted 45,000 miles for $180. Even you would only need to change it once a year.

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Hi Mike,

When I first tried this Tire on my ST1300PA I could not get it past the ABS Sensor -- Do you have ABS on your ST1300.

Great that you managed to get it on -- I have been running my Goldwing with this Tire 2 Years now and they last 45,000 Miles on a Goldwing with us running 34psi.

Thanks for trying them on the ST.

Regards,

Ron
Yes my ST does have the ABS sensor. This Goodyear tire is about 1/4" less in width then the Hankook tire. It was tight going around the ABS sensor and the swingarm but no worse then the Hankook. The sidewalls are stiffer then the Hankook and it feels like I get less sidewall flex then before even at a lower pressure.

Top Bottom