Michelin PR2's

Bike
Honda ST 1300 A
After reading the post here, I wonder what am I doing different, I have 16K miles on PR2's and still look good,(I don't have my bike here or I would post pic's). I ride 100 miles a day to work, I usually ride my bike instead of the truck because of MPG's, only weather and when I have to bring big boxes or things that don't carry well on the bike. I have had my bike for 13 months now, found a nail in the rear tire just after purchase and changed both tires. I do keep pretty close tabs on tire pressure, and purchased a compressor after getting the bike, because of coin operated machines not always fitting the stems. I also put metal stems in at tire change, found the pressure stays more constant with them than rubber stems. my bike had 12.5K miles when purchased, now has 28K+. HMMMMMMMM just thinking out loud.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mileage does vary greatly, as does use the bike is put to. There are riders that get close to 20k on tires and those that need new ones in less than 6000 miles. I consider one of these groups more fun to ride with. Your opinion may vary.

Bike
Honda ST 1300 A
I have to admit I state riding is boring, for sure. 96 miles of my commute is I state hwy. Looking forward to some time off and cutting some corners!

Bike
2012 ST1300A
I have a new set of PR2's sitting in the garage- hear great things about that tire. On the OEM Bridgestones I have roasted both sides of the front (at 3000 miles), the rear not as bad but its not far behind. Likely should stop riding this thing like the Hayabusa? No way!

For those cupping the rear- that's indicative of your suspension needing work, not so much the tire.

Bike
06 ST1300
So what have I done wrong?

I mounted a set of PR2s in May, put 12000kms (7500miles) on them and they are done.

No cupping. Running Dyna Beads in the front. Some minor tears/pitting on the edges of the side grooves. 40 psi front, 42 psi rear. One up at 200 pounds. 25 pounds of cargo occassionally. Day rides of 800 to 1200 kms. Day temperatures of 25 - 35 degrees C. My riding style might be described as "assertive" with lots of 130-40 kms/hr cruising on deserted curvy backroads.

The PR2s have just plain worn down to the bottom of the groves in front and nearly the same on the rear. Basicall even wear up to the shoulders...more on the left side as per the road crown angle.

I bought the bike last year and swapped out the worn Bridgestones for the PR2s. I've owned smaller (400-750cc) bikes in the past and got at least twice the mileage on the tires. I'm thinking of going back to the Bridges as the local Honda shop quotes $600 for PR2s.

Surely I could expect more than this mileage or do I simply budget $1200 year for tires???

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
So what have I done wrong?

I mounted a set of PR2s in May, put 12000kms (7500miles) on them and they are done.

No cupping. Running Dyna Beads in the front. Some minor tears/pitting on the edges of the side grooves. 40 psi front, 42 psi rear. One up at 200 pounds. 25 pounds of cargo occassionally. Day rides of 800 to 1200 kms. Day temperatures of 25 - 35 degrees C. My riding style might be described as "assertive" with lots of 130-40 kms/hr cruising on deserted curvy backroads.

The PR2s have just plain worn down to the bottom of the groves in front and nearly the same on the rear. Basicall even wear up to the shoulders...more on the left side as per the road crown angle.

I bought the bike last year and swapped out the worn Bridgestones for the PR2s. I've owned smaller (400-750cc) bikes in the past and got at least twice the mileage on the tires. I'm thinking of going back to the Bridges as the local Honda shop quotes $600 for PR2s.

Surely I could expect more than this mileage or do I simply budget $1200 year for tires???
Premature tire wear could be the type of riding you are doing and how heavy you have your bike loaded whist riding (Two up?). If you are only riding country roads where you are always pushing them, they will wear faster. I have consistanly gotten 11K(I could probably push them to 12K, but I don't want to chance it) out of the many sets of PR2s that I have run on my '05 ST1300. But, I'm mostly on the freeways for my commutes, so I'm not pushing it through the country roads hardly at all.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I have used several pairs of PR2s and my mileage ranges from 13,500 - 17,000 kms. And one of those times involved taking the rear down to the cords. In general I've now realized anything over 14,000 kms is "bonus" for the type of riding I do. I wish it was more!

But I've just switched to PR3s and I'm rather curious to see how they last. And if the cupping is less pronounced.

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
Just replaced my rear PR2 with a PR3, had a total of 16,600 miles. No cords showing, but center was very easy to push in when off, the rim.

On at 42,300
Off at 58,900

Total= 16,600

Bike
'99 ST1100
I had to get a new tire on the front of my new (to me) '99 ST1100 before certification. After I ordered and installed the front with a PR2, I decided that I had better match with a new rear PR2 as well. The mechanic doing the cert. is replacing the rear with a PR2 (at my request). I am a little worried that the new undersize tire (160/60 R17) is going to have an adverse affect on how the bike performs. Can anyone either confirm or allay my fears?

Top Bottom