MCL lowered foot pegs

Bike
GL1800 2015
Anybody have em? Issues?
The ST hurts my knees - looking at the cheaper -non adjusting ones.
Concerned about em scraping ...

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Rich,

My wifes ST has them on there and she loves them. I have a problem with them, at every slight turn I am scraping the pegs.

I think she rides it a litlle easier then I do! :D

STOC #
Mike, how close are you to draging a knee on those slight turns? I am in no way aggressive nor an expert, but from what I recall in class, we were dragging knee long before the pegs.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Larry,

When I ride that bike you do not have to be aggressive at all to drag the pegs and no where near draging a knee. To me they are big distraction as I have to think about draging the pegs on every corner. If the bike was mine they would come off and be sold. I know others have posted they love them.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
As Mike relates: before you mount a set you really have to think about your riding style.

If you lean the bike you are going to scrape with them mounted and if you scrape you're going to react... in a turn...

Just saying...

STOC #
Mike, I thought you meant you drag a peg without lowering. I could see draging with a 2" dropped peg for sure.

Here is my tire (right side) almost 100% used and I've never dragged a peg.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I'm not an aggressive rider and found that with them on the pegs drag way too easy and as someone said it does become a distraction when riding in the twisties. I took them off but have thought about putting them back on for long multiple day rides as they do provide some comfort to my hips and knees. Of course if I spent a little time stretching and flexing those joints BEFORE I took off on the bike for a day I wouldn't have those joint problems!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Mike, I thought you meant you drag a peg without lowering. I could see draging with a 2" dropped peg for sure.

Larry, I have scraped my pegs on my ST without the lowering pegs and on my wifes ST it is almost scary for me to ride as it is way to easy and dangerous to ride even taken it easy in the corners. If I were going to ride any distance on hers I would pull the lowering pegs off.

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
There was some debate last year about the MCL lowering kit and I argued for it. For comfort, this is one of the biggest improvements I made to my bike; yes even more significant than my custom Rich's custom seat....

HOWEVER....

After my trip to California this last summer, my MCL lowering kit is coming right off as soon as my new footpegs arrive.

In the pictures below, you can see the amount of scraping I did in comparison to the chicken strip on my front tire (the rear tire has been replaced since the trip). My dirt driveway makes the picture a bit deceiving, but the chicken strip is right at the highest of the three markers next to the Metzler emblem.

By the looks of the pegs, you'd thunk I was on the rims, when in fact I had a good 3/8 to 1/2 to go.

In all fairness, the acorns were a bit scraped up before the trip, but they were present before I left for California!

Here's my issue with the lowering kit: I was scraping hard enough to the point my boot was pinned between the peg and the bike on more than one occassion, including the one where the rear tire levered itself off the road.

MCL makes great products, I have several off his goodies on my bike and I love them all, including the lowering brackets, but my quest for adrenaline gets in the way. If you're a moderate rider, or one who is putting off that Goldwing and trailer purchase, than these are definitely for you.

Attachments

STOC #
There was some debate last year about the MCL lowering kit and I argued for it. For comfort, this is one of the biggest improvements I made to my bike; yes even more significant than my custom Rich's custom seat....

HOWEVER....

After my trip to California this last summer, my MCL lowering kit is coming right off as soon as my new footpegs arrive.

In the pictures below, you can see the amount of scraping I did in comparison to the chicken strip on my front tire (the rear tire has been replaced since the trip). My dirt driveway makes the picture a bit deceiving, but the chicken strip is right at the highest of the three markers next to the Metzler emblem.

By the looks of the pegs, you'd thunk I was on the rims, when in fact I had a good 3/8 to 1/2 to go.

In all fairness, the acorns were a bit scraped up before the trip, but they were present before I left for California!

Here's my issue with the lowering kit: I was scraping hard enough to the point my boot was pinned between the peg and the bike on more than one occassion, including the one where the rear tire levered itself off the road.

MCL makes great products, I have several off his goodies on my bike and I love them all, including the lowering brackets, but my quest for adrenaline gets in the way. If you're a moderate rider, or one who is putting off that Goldwing and trailer purchase, than these are definitely for you.

Now that's what I call HARD evidence.

Bike
'03 ST1300

HOWEVER....

Wow....I have standard footpegs and haven't touched any hard parts yet. Barely 1/8" chickenstrip on the rear and maybe 1/2" on the front. I was actually contemplating the lowering pegs. Not anymore...

Attachments

Top Bottom